• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Forklift to Move Sleds Around....Good or Bad?

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I gotta say bad, unless they know how to run a forklift. The cat dealer in Calgary took the threads off of both of my front shocks.When I confronted him he said that I didn't need to adjust them anyways as they had set it up.After much complaining they finally changed one shock.I don't go there for anything now ,no belts service or parts.They sell there APV oil in an unsealed clear container that they fill up and I had one come open in my new $11,000 enclosed trailer and they wonder why I tell people to go to the other shop,what a joke.You have got to be carefull and do a bit of research for service.As far as refilling oil containers it wouldn't be so bad if they sealed the container and passed the savings onto the custumer but it is all about the maximum profit.As far as the gallon of oil on my trailer floor they told me to wash it out but no replacement jug which they sell at the same price as a factory sealed jug right from Cat at a shop just south of town.O well there loss is an other shops gain

Last edited:

FreeAgent

Lifetime Membership
May 28, 2008
You just have to watch how far you let the extensions go forward I (as a dealer) have had to REPLACE both sides of Floats on 3 sleds because my guys were NOT paying attention. Gets spendy after awhile. JUST be careful. But then again my customers didn't have to argue with me i saw what happened and for lack of better words was totally embarrased at what my guys did and could not get my customers a set of floats fast enough. Wow that the dealer above only replaced one....You don't need to adjust your shocks WTF are you kidding me?????

Michelle

R
Nov 26, 2007
East Chester Idaho
They say if you want to figure out an easier way to do something, give the job to the laziest person you know. Here's how I do it: Chop a 20' stick of SCH 80 2x6 tubing in half, cut a couple 12" chunks of recap off a truck tire and self tap them to the tubing with fender washers. I also welded a washer to the inside of my fork extensions near the back and made a rope with a snap on each end to tie them together, it helps get the spacing right every time you slide the extensions on and keeps the forks from sliding apart and dropping your sled.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I have heard a lot on both sides of this issue. I continue to see a lot of dealers doing it. I started to build a set of fork extentions yesterday and did a few trial lifts with things spotted. I set mine up so that the contact point of the sled (Dragons, M-Sled, Edge) to the fork was right under the foot well initially, then the sled settles a bit to contact the running boards a bit as well. I probably have 12" of contact on the average.

Any opinions or suggestions on doing this. My back is old and the idea of using a lift sounds like a great way to keep me out of the blue parking spots for a while longer of it doesn't stress the tunnel/bulkhead too much.

Whadda Ya think? EW

I would pad the forks.

Dealer moved mine onto trailer with forks BUT one fork has worn padding with exposed metal. Exposed metal scratched the underside of the sled.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Every day, all day for half the year. Only way to do it with a dealership that handles a lot of sleds. Long forks with uhmw/padding, good operators and it's all good. Gotta watch the scratchers

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone dredge up a 10 year old thread before. Bravo! :)

It wasnt by accident. The guy has made 5 posts on snowest, all of them are about forklifts or shipping. It appears he is in both of those businesses, or trying to get people to click on links in his signature.

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone dredge up a 10 year old thread before. Bravo! :)

It wasnt by accident. The guy has made 5 posts on snowest, all of them are about forklifts or shipping. It appears he is in both of those businesses, or trying to get people to click on links in his signature.
Yep! It was a spammer! Took care of it. :D

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
Thank you!
Any time you see anything suspicious, feel free to hit that report button to get some eyes on it. Even if you're not 100% sure. We'll take a look and apply the appropriate action. :thumb:

Last edited:
Premium Features