• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Forklift to Move Sleds Around....Good or Bad?

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I have heard a lot on both sides of this issue. I continue to see a lot of dealers doing it. I started to build a set of fork extentions yesterday and did a few trial lifts with things spotted. I set mine up so that the contact point of the sled (Dragons, M-Sled, Edge) to the fork was right under the foot well initially, then the sled settles a bit to contact the running boards a bit as well. I probably have 12" of contact on the average.

Any opinions or suggestions on doing this. My back is old and the idea of using a lift sounds like a great way to keep me out of the blue parking spots for a while longer of it doesn't stress the tunnel/bulkhead too much.

Whadda Ya think? EW

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
That's the way I have always seen it done.
It is one of the strongest points on the sled so I don't think it would be a problem.

H
Dec 24, 2008
I have been lifting sleds this way for years. A great way to work on them as well, you can lift it to whatever height is comfortable for you. I have also made a set of extensions to lift quads by the tires, or I can use the regular extensions and lift them by the frame... Hummer

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Don't see a problem with forklift. Think of it this way... you have 12+" of contact.... the large wheeled shop dollies only have a lift contact patch of maybe 4";);)

B
Dec 3, 2007
If it worries you or you are uncomfortable doing it that way, build a pallet the sleds will fit on that you can just move around.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
IIRC, the issue was on some sleds you were pushing on the chaincase cover causing them to leak. As long as you aren't on that, I'd say you are golden.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
I could'nt figure out what the polaris update did for the chaincase.
The partial metal bracket with shroud must be for this very reason.
I'd make sure that was on the sleds just in case.

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Hillsboro, Oregon
Once when I had to load a sled by myself without ramps into the back of a pick-up I just put the sled across a pallet, drove up sideways to the tailgate with the forklift, sideshifted it up flush to the tailgate and rode right into the bed. It was slick and the forks never touched the sled.

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
Here my sled lifted off the ground with a fork lift, you can see the extensions in the bottom of the pic

CIMG0066.jpg

T

turbo nytro

Dec 14, 2008
Alberta
extensions

I made a set of 12ft extensions for my forks. Use the bobcat to lift the sled's wherever they need to go. It beats breaking ur back .

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
They will balance on a regular wood pallet and you can move them around on that and then you dont have to be so careful about hitting the track and things like that.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
I built a set of 8' extensions for my bobcat forks from channel a couple of seasons back. They work great and slide on and off as needed. Great for lifting sleds in and out of trucks etc but I like a spotter when using the bobcat

I

IndoubtGASIT

Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I worked at a dealer for three years and moved sleds around the shop this way constantly. We just used extensions on the forks and I never had any problems with this. It was kind of hairy and gave me a weird feeling in my stomach when I had to raise the sleds 20ft in the air with the lift to stack them on a rack. The new sleds would start swayin back and forth. Got my heart pumpin!

D

DRAPE

Feb 19, 2008
NSL UT
I keep mine on pallets and store them in warehouse style racks during the summer. I have to lift mine about 15' in the air with forklift. Has always worked well for me. Just watch out for toes. Smashed my toe pretty good last week with forklift... :eek: Stupid mistake.

Premium Features