• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Garage Thread

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Remember, we have this whole "no electricity" thing going on.
With the spray foam insulation and trying to only keep it around 40 degrees, I don't think that I'm losing too much though the ceiling..[/

its not that your loosing any, its that itll be 400 degrees at your celing to get the 40 at the floor

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
..[/

its not that your loosing any, its that itll be 400 degrees at your celing to get the 40 at the floor

My "to do" list includes monitoring temperatures at different heights at different room temperatures to determine just how valuable a ceiling fan would be.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
subscribed. doing something simular but 30x80. I was looking into spending big bucks on radiant floor heat and having some electriv water heaters as well as oil burner/diesel boiler for the shear size. i second the fan.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
subscribed. doing something simular but 30x80. I was looking into spending big bucks on radiant floor heat and having some electriv water heaters as well as oil burner/diesel boiler for the shear size. i second the fan.

I would have loved floor heat, but needed a source that required no electricity.
That, and the whole pesky budget thingy!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Floor drain?
It's a lot cheaper and easier to rough in the electrical before you insulate. Are those scissor trusses 4/12-2/12? I put a Beacon Morris 75,000 btu vented propane heater in my shop. $400 at Menards. 500 gallon outside tank. You have a sharp looking building. If there are two things I am sure of, you can never make the shop too big and those little trees grow up to be big trees and they do have a habit of falling over. I know. I lost well over 200 last summer/fall $.02
Nice thread, first time I saw it.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Thanks.
Yes, floor drain.
I don't know truss pitch.
Didn't want to take the time to think through the electrical at this point. I wanted the insulation done before winter.

I had this shed in mind when I planted the trees nearly 20 years ago.
It is nice and calm in front of shed when the northwest wind is howling!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I wouldn't put any more money into that shop with your taxes going up and all.
Frp the walls. White and bombproof. Cheap too. Only $33 a sheet. Spendy but cool.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
You are working off of an aluminum ladder on top of that bakers scaffold?

Project is looking great!

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Nicely done man!!! tough to tell but did you insulate the exposed stem wall under the corrugated metal wainscot? might have a problem with heat loss or worse yet condensation. Nicely done though.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Nicely done man!!! tough to tell but did you insulate the exposed stem wall under the corrugated metal wainscot? might have a problem with heat loss or worse yet condensation. Nicely done though.

That was the purpose of the wainscoting, to conceal the stem wall insulation.
It would frost over when it got really cold.

Thanks for the compliment!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Carbon mono must rise.
Working on a ladder on top of the scaffolding up in the peak, eyes and nose burn like HELL!

Waiting on materials, but when I finish the peak I'm gonna have to run electric heat from a generator.
I can't hardly take it anymore.
Maybe a few days off will clean out my system and rebuild my tolerance to it.

Gotta say that the dog LOVES laying under that heater though!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I will just give you my $.02 on your ladder/scaffold technique. A good friend of mine was on a 10' fiberglass step ladder standing 6' off the ground cutting a branch on a tree in front of his house, and the branch kicked back on him. He fell 6' and landed on the grass and severed his spine. He ended up being paralyzed from the waist down. He was two years away from retirement when he got hurt. He was 57 and was an electrician and had logged a million hours of ladder time in his life. Rent some scaffolding with some casters and some picks.
If you fall and hit the concrete, you are toast. It's not worth it man! Be safe!!!!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Thanks, I appreciate it.

More than once I was on the ladder thinking.....my wife's next husband better damn well appreciate all the work I'm putting into this!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Just an update...
Got power & nat gas last fall and vented furnace installed.
Used the hell out of this building this winter.
Best money spent thus far!

FWIW, Keeping it at 45 degrees costs about a buck a day.

Premium Features