• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche danger in Colorado is at a historic high

DanB

Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Folks,
For the first time since 1973 when avalanche forecasting began, the CAIC has issued an "extreme" (level 5) prediction for four zones in the state. Many other zones are rated "High" (level 4) - essentially, high and extreme rated zones include the majority of the popular riding areas in the state.

Multiple closures have occurred on I-70 and CO 91 is still closed due to a major slide today - three cars were buried in the latter. Mitigation has occurred on US 40 near Berthoud pass - Click me to view some spectacular aerial footage of the triggered slide.

Be careful out there everyone!

Last edited:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
No reason to risk it going most places in central CO. When some of the roads themselves are getting buried 5-15 feet+ that should be enough of an indication that people should avoid the area. Peak 1 by Frisco got a new avy chute on it. Paths that never have slid before are sliding. I-70 and highway 91 have been open/closed for the last couple days.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Hwy 550 through the San Juans has been closed for days, almost 20 feet of snow piled on the road...

DanB

Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Per the March 7th CDOT report, Red Mountain is expected to be closed through this weekend.

We made it up to Grand Lake this evening before the worst of the latest storm hit. There are plenty of safe places to ride here, and given the groomer reports and videos posted on the Grand Lake trail groomers site, it should be an *epic* weekend.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
No reason to risk it going most places in central CO. When some of the roads themselves are getting buried 5-15 feet+ that should be enough of an indication that people should avoid the area. Peak 1 by Frisco got a new avy chute on it. Paths that never have slid before are sliding. I-70 and highway 91 have been open/closed for the last couple days.

Pretty Crazy. Although that Peak 1 slide, slid 60 years ago. There is an old archived photo of it floating around. Back then it was a big deal as well.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
In my little honey hole the slides have been so large that I have gained dozens of new treeless areas to ride next season! Amazing stuff! We were checking out the debris fields last Sunday and you could see tree branches broken off 50 feet above the snow! HUGE slides for sure all over the state.

It was all calming down but it is back to snowing today... Probably picking up another couple feet in the high country. I will have to go out tomorrow with the sun and do some recon. The riding has been epic this year!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
...and Red Mtn Pass is still closed. No re-open date yet, almost a month now since traffic has been able to use the road.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
So insane. Tough to move whats left on the road when its a mix of snow, trees, and rocks.

It did finally open yesterday, they broke through Thursday night and had it cleaned up enough for traffic by noon yesterday. I am riding today but tomorrow I am going to drive up and have a look at the Pass, I hear it is pretty impressive.

Premium Features