• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just don't want to get lost

T
May 31, 2010
Hello everyone.
I snowmobile maybe once every 2 years (Live in Florida!)
When I ride trails new to me, I use trail maps. Sometimes though in new territory it is easy to get disoriented. I would like to know if using a GPS would help me to backtrack to my starting point if this happened, and would almost assure that I don't make a wrong turn? What would be a good GPS choice for this goal?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Yes, it will help greatly with finding your way back. However, keeping traditional maps and a compass is a good idea, as GPS's sometimes stop receiving signal if the weather is bad enough (which is when you need it the most)

Putzy

Premium Member
Sep 30, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
We use GPS, however it is good to have maps and know how to navigate in case your GPS stops working. Everyone in my riding group uses the Garmin Rhino, which I like because it has radio built in. So if you're close enough and someone uses the radio it will show their location on your GPS. You can also set it to log a waypoint every 10 m or so and then you can backtrack your route.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
We always run a couple GPS in our group that way you have at least one other person to check against if you are truly in a terrible situation and are using them to get out.

But the biggest thing I can say with the GPS is you must use and play with it so that you are comfortable with it. Use it home a bunch to play and learn it. Because if you get into a bad situation where you really need it to get out that is not the time to learn how to use it.

And like many others have said. A compass and map is a great backup to have as well.

C
Mar 20, 2019
Getting lost is not an option.

A good GPS is one of the #1 tools to pack. I always have my InReach which serves two very important needs. GPS and SOS SAR God forbid the worst happens, I have my trusty Iridium based one button emergency call for help. $11.75/ mo. best investment any outdoor enthusiast could have in your pack. Can't imagine all the stories we don't hear about of guys just like ourselves that break an arm or leg far away from help and the horror stories of survival and maybe even death. As long as you can see the sky, you can get help.

B

bruce2111

Banned
Nov 13, 2020
I often use maps to navigate the exact location. The reason for not using GPS often is I feel difficulty in finding the location and spotting myself.

Premium Features