• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 King Cat Belt Squeal on Takeoff

feetsbig

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
B.C.
My 18 started doing it after a couple rides after it got the updaed primary and a new belt.The belt deflection was too loose,opened up the secondary and pulled a shim and cured it.The belt tension IS adjustable,the shims are inside the secondary.Or remove the clutch and drill and tap the cover to accept the adjuster bolt and locknut from a 16 M800 and remove all but one shim and then you have an easily adjustible clutch but its not that hard to get at the shims.The belt likes to be tighter than normal as it floats on the bearing and and needs to be tight

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
My 18 started doing it after a couple rides after it got the updaed primary and a new belt.The belt deflection was too loose,opened up the secondary and pulled a shim and cured it.The belt tension IS adjustable,the shims are inside the secondary.Or remove the clutch and drill and tap the cover to accept the adjuster bolt and locknut from a 16 M800 and remove all but one shim and then you have an easily adjustible clutch but its not that hard to get at the shims.The belt likes to be tighter than normal as it floats on the bearing and and needs to be tight

Thanks for the info.....definitely something I will keep in mind. Cat had the dealer completely disassemble the clutch and pull a bunch of measurements, which the dealership said where within spec. I then asked them if the different belt number could be part of the problem. Now Cat wants them to completely clean the clutch/polish some parts, clean up the sheaves and put one of the new 0627-112 belts on to see if that cures it. I had been running the old 0627-104 belt which were the original belt number for the 17 king cat.

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
Ended up riding the sled this whole season and the issue is gone. The dealer ended up pulling one of the shims in the secondary like mentioned above. Only a very slight squeal on takeoff every now and again.

Premium Features