• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OFT Nytro 240 Spooled up Kit

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
I will be installing an OFT spooled up kit on my 180 nytro. Rick mailed it out yesterday. I currently have the engine out and will take some pictures of the process the best I can. If this turns out ok for me anyone can do it! i am not a professional by any means and have never dismantled a sled like this. i have heard good things about this kit and I needed to save a few bucks and therefore didnt purchase the complete upgrade kit from mcx. i also like that Rick has a replacement cam gear and the timing tool as well to make it as easy as possible.

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
my 240 spooled up kit is set to be delivered on monday. the engine is out on the bench and here is the poor nytro! ive never taken the sled down this far before, but i made sure to label all wires carefully so it should go together ok.

Here is the engine ready for the head shim and arp stud kit

here is the head and cams. as i have ready make sure to check valve clearance many times throughout the process. i checked mine before i pulled the cams and everything was within clearance. i will check again before i close her up.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
Looking good! Thanks for the write up. Hit me up if you need any help on the install. We're working as I speak on the step by step instructions for the install so they'll be on the site by the end of the weekend.

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
It sure did, I eve took the last 2 days off work and have been busy installing. I will post some updates tomorrow.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Now your talking.
Let's see some PICS of that bad boy.
I for one am VERY curious to see just what OFT has come up with.

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
Here is the kit, a few notes, I failed to take a picture right off the bat. missing from this picture would be the head shim. also the injectors pictures are the old injectors after i swapped them, but it is a good representation of what you get.

You will get a the following for this kit.
-head shim
-manual boost controller with hose
-power commander with map sensor
-you will see a weld on bung, Rick is sending me a clamp in style instead
-larger injectors
-cam timing tool
-i opted for a pre ground cam gear so you can just swap it out (pictured is the stock cam gear as i already put it in)

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
Here we have the pre-ground cam gear installed.

Here you can see the headshim is installed. i also purchased an arp stud kit from Rick. i used torqe instructions from allen ulmer webiste. red loctite studs into block, let sit for 1 day. put engine oil on threads, washers, and nuts then torque to 20ft, 35ft, 50ft; then loosen each 1/2 turn and retorque to 50ft. take note of stud by water pump gear and only put into block so that 3.14 of the stud is out of the block measured with a caliper.

Here is the cam timing tool, put the engine at TDC, put the tool on and have the timing dots line up (they will face inwards slightly) and you are good to go. i rotated the engine multiple times to double check!

Here i am double checking valve clearances, everything still checks out so nothing moved during install.

engine is back in. this is the first time i removed the engine, i would recommend having a friend or a hoist, i did it with neither and i had some minor struggles. my issues was i did not loosen the rear alignment nut thing and i couldnt get the rear engine mounts to align.

Take a 13mm socket and grind it like this, this will allow you to move the engine alignment nuts

snug up the rear alignment nut and then you have to check your clutch alignment, i used allen ulmers tool. here you can see that i am a little out of alignment. i eye balled it i think it will be sufficient.

need to install wiring and tidy things up.

wiring is all together, i am waiting for the clamp in map sensor from Rick at OFT which goes in the charge tube from the PCV before i start her up, hopefully it all still works!

so i still have to install the PCV, but in the clamp in map sensor in the charge tube, and install the manual boost controller.

all in all i think everything went ok, the most important thing is to label all the wiring very well, besides that it isnt too bad.

Last edited:
C

cbouton

Jan 6, 2013
Soldotna, AK
Hope the final bit of the install went smooth, any update on how the kit is performing and your opinion on it. Bought the same kit just haven't got to try it out yet, eagerly waiting to try it out.

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
long overdue update, not much snow this last year, but this kit ia great, easy to install, if you can do the shim, sled pulls very hard. i had to make a few changes to the mapping, but it is very easy to make adjustments. if you have a 180 kit, you should have gone 240.

Premium Features