• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SPOT sat phone plans cancelled/changed

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
so I renewed my plan for my sat phone, (galaxy 120min per year) and it was noted that my plan will be cancelled and switched to the nearest plan at the end of the month. Looks like the cheaper plans that were with spot are gone and sticking with the regular global star plans which means min cost would be over 500 cad a year. now for the 30 min a year that I use the phone, thats a bit excessive for the somewhat lacking reception quality.

whats everyone else doing? might be time to go to an inreach.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I wanted to get a Spot Sat phone this year. Like everyone else, I got the email for the free phone with a plan. The only problem was the cheapest plan was over $400/year. WTF? I realize they have to make money, but I'd rather buy the phone for a couple hundy and then have a pay as you go plan. It's obvious that they make money on the service not the phone. Well guess what? I don't have a Sat phone.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Can you send text messages or GPS locations with a SAT phone like you can with a SPOT Connect?

Premium Features