• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha previews new 4 stroke

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If that's real, it's awesome. My kids are grown, i could drive that.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If that's real, it's awesome. My kids are grown, i could drive that.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Ya, its for real.
Its a CONCEPT car, but they just unveiled it today at the show.

Yamaha has been hinting at a move into car manufacturing in recent years, with the firm recently teaming up with McLaren F1 designer Gordon Murray to develop a city car concept called the Motiv. Now Yamaha is back with a new sports car concept unveiled today at the 2015 Tokyo Motor Show, and like the Motiv it has also been developed with Murray.

Specifically, the two concepts were developed in line with Murray’s iStream principles, which enable a much more simplified assembly process compared to current means of production. Murray boasts that cars built using iSteam require a factory just 20 percent the size of a conventional car assembly plant. The process relies on pre-formed parts made from composite materials and easily interchangeable between vehicles.

Yamaha’s new concept is called the Sports Ride, and it’s the first to ride on Murray’s more advanced iStream Carbon chassis technology. iStream Carbon is described as the world's first affordable high-volume carbon fiber chassis structure, allowing for lightweight yet sturdy cars that you don’t need to be a supercar buyer to afford.
Gordon Murray Design iStream Carbon

The Yamaha Sports Ride, for example, weighs just 1,653 pounds all up. A powertrain hasn’t been mentioned but Yamaha has previously shown off a three-cylinder engine as well as an electric drive system in its iStream-based Motiv, and it’s possible one of these has been used for the Sports Ride.

The key difference between iStream and iStream Carbon is the replacement of fiberglass with sturdier carbon fiber. Using Formula One-style technologies, iStream Carbon relies on two carbon skins sandwiching a honeycomb core, which is in contrast to many expensive handmade supercars which employ monolithic (single skin carbon) panels. And unlike any other carbon fiber chassis technology, iStream Carbon is said to be a fully mechanized system with a cycle time of just 100 seconds.

At present, there are seven vehicle projects set to utilize the iStream process. Two that we know of are the aforementioned Yamaha Motiv as well as TVR’s new sports car.

For more from the Tokyo Motor Show, head to our dedicated hub.

yamaha-sports-ride-concept-2015-tokyo-motor-show_100532009_l-980x649.jpg

Screen-Shot-2015-10-28-at-8.26.38-AM-980x619.png

If Yamaha can create that, there is NO REASON at all why they can't dominate the Sled Market as well!!

Last edited:
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
YouTube...Triple Yamaha 350 outboards.

Last month I was fishing a Marlin Tournament in Costa Rica on aboard a 43' BlackWater with triple 350's Yamaha's ....Silcky smooth running WFO to the fishing grounds 120 miles offshore.

DPG

Last edited:
H
Nov 10, 2009
Denver
Hmmmm. A car, interesting. What an original idea. Can't see anything about it that is groundbreaking. Here's a suggestion Yamaha. Why don't you put the same effort into producing your own flagship snowmobile!!!? Take some of that money,time, and engineering and come up with something truly cutting edge. It's even OK to hire someone that can help you realize this dream.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Maybe Yamaha see's a market opportunity...especially after Polaris released the ugly Slingshot car.

I think they should focus on being more dominant in the market they already are in!

Attachments

• polaris-slingshot.jpg
    polaris-slingshot.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 154

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Maybe Yamaha see's a market opportunity...especially after Polaris released the ugly Slingshot car.

I doubt it, and the Slingshot is considered an autocycle in technical terms. It is considered ugly by many but Polaris can hardly build enough of them and they fill a niche in the market that no one else has been able to, on a mass production scale. Great price point as well. Polaris is on a roll as a company. Sales for Slingshots alone are over $200 millions thus far. Yamaha builds high quality products when they build them themselves, but I'm afraid this car is another sign that they really are not committed to being #1 in the snowmobile market.

Premium Features