• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Full yeti vs. timbersled review

B
Dec 17, 2015
I have had both a Yeti and a Timbersled for over a month, and I have done a lot of riding on both now so I decided I would share some of my experiences. I didn’t really plan to do a review, but I remember when I was researching both kits how frustrating it was to try to make a decision based on comments and reviews that either had a clear bias or has very little actual testing time. This is my PERSONAL review from the point of view of one rider, so I do not expect my experiences to exactly mirror what other riders will find due to different riding styles, weights, conditions, etc.

Background information:
- 75 kg rider
- Changed from sledding to snowbiking in 2015
- Around 20 hours saddle time on each kit. Probably closer to 30 on the timbersled.
- Both kits are on a YZ450FX.
- My girlfriend rides one of the bikes, so I am able to switch fairly freely between the kits on the same conditions, and usually swap 4 -5 times per ride.
- I have gotten to experience pretty much all conditions in the last month, but primarily tree-riding in powder
- No association with either brand
- The Yeti is the 129” track. The timbersled is the 120” track with TSS. Despite the difference between the track lengths, this is the “all-around, do anything” kit from each company so I think is the best comparison. Having ridden a 137” timbersled, I think that the timbersled has to be a bit shorter to compare properly to the yeti due to different weights and construction. (Side-note on the 137” timbersled, I HATED it. Felt like I had a brick tied to my *** compared to the 120” and was not fun at all. May be better for heavier riders, but had way too much junk in the trunk for me)

A note on testing bias:
In any testing environment, people will have a tendency to look for and find what they are expecting to find due to either preconceived notions or outside influence. I am not immune to this. An example would be my second ride out on the yeti, and first time hitting good powder on the yeti, I was amazed how much I was floatation I had and how much track speed I could get compared to the timbersled. After riding around having a blast on the new kit for a while, I looked over and noticed…. the girlfriend was riding the yeti and I was actually still on the timbersled.

After this, I did as much testing as I could “double-blind”, so I did not know what kit I was riding and had to figure it out for myself based on the performance. This was virtually impossible to do on packed/groomed trail since the kits have a different sound on the trail and the ski is visible, but for most of the other riding I was able do a large amount of double blind testing since the bikes are identical other than the kits.

Climbing:
I am going to start by comparing the climbing capability, even though it is not very high on the priority list for me, but it is the least subjective and also seems to have exaggerated importance for many people (probably due to carryover of the “highmarking” mentality from sledding, which to me doesn’t matter much when snowbiking). I have tried a lot of testing on the exact same hills with both of the kits, and in most cases the yeti had a significant advantage over the timbersled, both when bombing straight up the hill and when sidehilling to get to the top. In the harder snow or snow that has a base, there is usually only a difference of a couple bike lengths, but in light, bottomless powder the yeti absolutely dominates, sometimes climbing nearly double the distance up the same hill.

The timbersled does have a couple advantages though. First, on hills that have a lot of bumps, or where the snow is not as soft, the timbersled seems to glide over the obstacle better, while the yeti seems to launch off a bit and then dig in a bit on landing. There is a pipeline hill on one of my rides that is often quite windblown and has a bunch of cross-ditching, and the timbersled comes over the top faster than the yeti since it seems to handle the ditches better without losing speed. For the riding I do though, this is an exception, and once I get back to the better snow where things start to matter the yeti is much better. The second thing I find with the timbersled is that it is easier to bail out of a hill when you know you aren’t going to make it without getting stuck. The timbersled seems a bit more willing to compress in the right spots allowing you to lift the ski out of the snow and flick it in a direction where you want, while the yeti has to bail out a bit more gradually since the ski sometimes doesn’t lose tractability when you want it to. I believe both of these advantages are solely due to the TSS shock, since the 2015 ST120 kit I have with the fixed strut does not do either of these things nearly as well.

The ski:
This category is extra important since the ski is low enough cost that many people are willing to run the best ski even if they are running a different kit. The yeti ski has a bigger surface area which allows it to float noticeably better, and even more importantly, pop out of the snow after a hard landing. The yeti ski also has a skag configuration that allows for a lot more bite when turning, while the timbersled doesn’t bite nearly as much and can feel a bit washy. I would actually say that the yeti ski could be dialed back a bit in terms of how much it bites. In car terms I would say that the timbersled ski understeers a lot, while the yeti ski oversteers a small amount. Here is a breakdown based on condition:

Trail: Here is where the yeti ski excels, and allows cornering to be much more confident and less jittery. I also feel more comfortable on the yeti ski at high speeds, even on straight stretches.

Powder: Yeti ski is preferred, but I only notice it much at slower speeds (second gear) or when jumping. In third gear and above, I notice very little difference between the skis in powder.

Crusty/Windblown:
I actually prefer the timbersled ski here since the yeti ski bites too much, and if the top layer is hard and all three skags are in the snow, it can be very hard to turn properly.

Wet/heavy: Skis are roughly equal here, but I found myself having to get used to the yeti ski while travelling at high speeds through heavy snow since sometimes it would turn more than I expected it to, and I had to be leaned over a bit more than on the timbersled to compensate.

If I had to design my own ski, it would be the same floatation as the yeti, with a bite somewhere in between the skis (but leaning towards the yeti ski).

One other thing I noticed is the timbersled ski has a center skag that juts down fairly abruptly and is prone to grabbing on logs. I think this could be easily solved without reducing performance, and I think this would reduce injuries and/or bike damage.

Trail riding:

While it is not the fun part of most rides, and I generally try to plan around minimizing the amount of time I am on the trail, making the ride to the powder as comfortable as possible is important to me. As mentioned above, the yeti ski is a fairly substantial improvement on the trail. However, I found the timbersled skid to be preferred on the trail, especially for rough trail. The dirtbike pivot of the timbersled makes a huge difference here, and I found the yeti skid would often bounce when I didn’t want it to, leading to an out of control feeling at higher speeds. I believe the better feeling of the timbersled kit is primarily due to the TSS. My 2015 timbersled with the fixed strut was very bouncy in the back end.
I found that modifying the yeti recommendation for shock pressure in order to have higher pressure in the front shock helped a lot on the trail, since it seems that with the stock settings the front shock compresses too easily, leaving the back shock to absorb a disproportionate amount of the hit. However this set-up doesn’t work as well in the powder, and I am too lazy to constantly swap shock pressure during the day.

If I had to pick a set-up for either very bumpy trail, or well groomed trail where the ski “washiness” is not as much of an issue, it would be the timbersled. When the trail is very hard packed or icy though, the timbersled ski feels downright sketchy, and I would choose the yeti for sure here.

Tree-riding:

This is the biggest part of snowbiking for me, and I generally try to maximize the time I can spend in the trees in fresh powder. This is the place where I could feel the weight difference of the yeti the most, and the tighter the trees, the more of a difference it made. In the trees where there is a lot of turning and I am holding 2nd and 3rd gear, the yeti floated better, turned better, got stuck less, and was much easier to get unstuck when I did. I also noticed that the yeti seemed to get the power to the track a lot better in 2nd and 3rd gear, making it feel like the bike had more power. There are quite a few situations in tighter trees with lots of powder where the timbersled could not even follow the yeti leading to having to turn back.

In more open trees where I am sitting in 4th or 5th gear, I started to notice less difference between the tracks. In some of my double-blind tests I actually sometimes had a hard time figuring out which kit I was riding in the open trees, even after I had started to know both kits pretty well. There was more than one time where I was wrong on what bike I was riding when I looked back at this skid. I would still choose the yeti in the more open, faster trees but by a smaller margin. I think the yeti track is able to hold 4th gear in deep powder easier than the timbersled, but the power difference isn’t as noticeable as in the tighter stuff where you are constantly on and off the throttle.

Jumping:
I am not a huge jumper, but I have done my fair share of drops and jumps with both kits. While dropping off stuff in powder, I did not notice much difference between the skids at all, but found the yeti ski liked to pop out faster. When there was less snow, I found the landing of the timbersled felt a bit better, I think partly because it acted more like a dirtbike and was a bit more familiar to me.

I did notice more of a difference on the actual jumps vs the drops between the kits. I had a lot more trouble on the yeti keeping my weight shifted towards the back for a confident landing, which the timbersled felt a little bit more controllable (I think the drive chain and heavier track allowed for more stability here). With no front tire for gyro and such a light backend, I never got the confidence up to try some of the jumps on the yeti as I was doing on the timbersled, but this could be a matter of getting more saddle time on the yeti for me.

One thing I did notice that on jumps that actually ramp up and launch off, the timbersled seemed to absorb a lot of the centripetal acceleration by compressing the TSS before the launch. This meant that at the same approach speed, the yeti would get a lot more air since it wasn’t damped by the third shock. I found this a bit frustrating, but I think if I put more air in the TSS this would go away.

Playing:
I find that I enjoy playing around a lot more on the snowbikes compared to sledding since it uses so much less energy, and here is where the timbersled excelled the most. The riding that I am referring to here is in areas that I am not trying to get somewhere steep or challenge myself in the trees, it is just playing around in a field of powder having some fun. Some of the best feelings I have had on a snow bike are doing things like leaning back and catwalking as far as you can or going into a sharp powder turn and giving it enough gas to trench a bit so you can lean it way over and drag the handlebars in the snow.

In these sorts of situations, I found the yeti always wanted to grab traction and go while the timbersled seemed a bit more cooperative. Shifting weight forward and back on the yeti didn’t make a huge difference in how it rode, while the timbersled was a bit more dynamic. These are the same characteristics that make the yeti better in many other ways, but sometimes when I am having fun I want to be able to do things like force the bike to trench for a bit and then shift my weight and launch in a different direction, and I was not able to do this as much on the yeti. Part of this may be the slightly shorter track, but I believe it is also the TSS giving it the dirtbike feel.

Summary:
So which one is better? I don’t think that there is a clear answer to that because it depends on so many things like riding style, weight, bike, and snow conditions. The yeti kit has had a huge amount of thought and attention to deal that indicates a passion for the sport rather than a business, and that becomes clear as soon as you get it out of the box. I have dealt with customer service at both companies, and I have been very impressed with yeti in that area as well.

The yeti was my kit of choice in the majority of situations, but that doesn’t mean the timbersled doesn’t have a place to excel, especially considering the price difference. If I had a bunch of friends riding around on yetis, I don’t think I would consider a timbersled since I think there is a lot of places where the yetis could go and the timbersled couldn’t follow and I wouldn’t want to be “that guy” who holds up the group. But for simply riding around having fun, the timbersled is an amazing kit. Having access to both bikes, I think of the timbersled of more of a “toy” while the yeti is more of a “machine”. I enjoy each one in different circumstances, and would honestly have a hard time letting go of either.

My girlfriend seems to like the yeti better for almost everything, but she also doesn’t like playing around as much as I do (she usually just parks and watches me when I stop to play in a field of powder). Lately, it has been harder and harder to wrench the yeti out of her hands.

One thing to consider is almost every area where I liked the timbersled better I believe can be attributed directly to the TSS. My experience on the 2015 timbersled kit has not been nearly as good as the new one with the TSS, and I personally would not recommend buying a timbersled without one. However, if the new YSS shock being released in the next couple weeks makes as much of an impact on my riding as the TSS did, the yeti will be better in every area except price. I personally do not think the yeti has as much to improve on as the timbersled did by adding a third shock, so I think the yeti will see less gains compared the timbersled. This is just conjecture on my part though, so I will stop the YSS discussion here to stay away from this becoming the type of review based on incomplete information or association bias that caused me to write this review in the first place.

I find that weight makes a bigger difference in snowbiking than it ever did sledding or dirtbiking, which is what I think gives the yeti the edge in so many situations. I find that my girlfriend, who is about 20 kg lighter than me, can outclimb me pretty consistently on the same kit and has an easier time of some things even though I am the better rider. This means that a 120 kg rider will never go the same places as a 70 kg rider, other than with more track length and power. Based on my experience riding the 137” timbersled and how much I hated it, (I almost liked sledding more *gasp* than riding that thing), I think it is very important to match the rider to the bike and the track more than any other sport.

If I had to buy another kit, or have only one, it would be a yeti but that is because it matches the type of riding I am doing the best. I also have a lot of confidence in yeti to continually develop their kit and push the envleope instead of just treating it as a profit center.

Both of these kits have made an amazing contribution to the sport, and I think people will start gravitating to the kit that suits their style, so hopefully this review gives people a bit more information to help them with their decision.

tmanker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2013
NW Iowa
Awesome review. Very thorough and unbiased. I'm just getting in to this sport and trying to make a decision of whether I will purchase a new Polaris Axys or build a snow bike. This review will certainly help me out if a snow bike is in my future. Very good information. Pics or it didn't happen!

M
Jan 23, 2012
wyomin'
Wow great detailed review. My yeti kit arrived today but have been second guessing my purchase. Thanks for putting it in the forum for me to get an opinion on it till i get a chance to throw a leg over a 16 tss timbersled.

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
Thanks for taking the time to post up your review.
If you want to test it further you could swap the skis. You might find the yeti ski is a contributor to powder performance and high marking. It seems like it packs a nice surface to power over.

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
THANK YOU!

That's a pretty comprehensive review. Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I really appreciate that you own both, have lots of time on both and did the double blind giving us an unbiased review.

I have a very limited time on the Yeti 120, like a few minutes, and was then allowed to ride the 2016 TS ST for about the same amount of time. After I was done ripping through the trees on both, we had to go back and find a stuck rider that was on my 2014 TS LT. OK, he wasn't stuck, he was just pissed that he had to ride mine. So, I was given the choice of which bike to ride back. I chose the Yeti.

Side notes:
After riding the two shorter tracks, I think I'll be selling my LT. They are so much more manueverable and fun. I don't hate mine, but I think the ST's are way better.

I have the yeti ski on my LT and I agree that on trail it's the winner. I tried going through a 180 sweeping turn a little too fast. It looked like I could low side and be ok. The ski held! It was ridiculous. I railed that corner. But, you are right, on hard crusted snow you can't turn it. Small price to pay, besides I'm only on crust by accident.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Very good write up and comparison. It would be nice if we could see this across all of the kit manufacturers, I think you need more girlfriends and kits to ride with :).

Just curious why did you not go with the 120" kit for the Yeti? One other thing you didn't hit on was price. It looks like the TS kit is over $3k US cheaper than a Yeti. I wouldn't consider myself cheap but with weighing all the pros and cons as you did this would push me towards the TS kit, maybe money wasn't an object though.

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
Great review. It's seems to support my thoughts that of course the Yeti is better, just look at it. That being said the TS is still awesome and a great kit. I think TS will be forced to polish up all the little details that piss us off thanks to Yeti. CMX, Snowtech, and Mototrax will contribute to that as well.

Long live snowbiking!

B
Dec 17, 2015
Just curious why did you not go with the 120" kit for the Yeti? One other thing you didn't hit on was price. It looks like the TS kit is over $3k US cheaper than a Yeti. I wouldn't consider myself cheap but with weighing all the pros and cons as you did this would push me towards the TS kit, maybe money wasn't an object though.

I went with the 129" since it was the "all around" kit for the yeti, and seemed to be a good compromise between the LT and the ST. As for price, I left it out as much as possible since it will depend where you are from as well as what the CDN/US dollar is at the time. The yeti set-up cost me $2200 CDN more, which is about $1600 USD. Keep in mind the yeti price includes the fit kit, while for timbersled the fit kit or TSS is extra. The brand new US version with the YSS is different than what I have too, and probably better.

Awesome review. Very thorough and unbiased. I'm just getting in to this sport and trying to make a decision of whether I will purchase a new Polaris Axys or build a snow bike. This review will certainly help me out if a snow bike is in my future. Very good information. Pics or it didn't happen!

That's an easy one, get the snow bike. Might be worth it to rent one first if you are unsure, but I sold both of my sleds in December without looking back.

Thanks for taking the time to post up your review.
If you want to test it further you could swap the skis. You might find the yeti ski is a contributor to powder performance and high marking. It seems like it packs a nice surface to power over.

I have been thinking about doing that, but haven't got around to it yet. Too much riding to do and so little time. I will post an update if I manage to do this test.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
For me, the ski makes the biggest difference

My intention is not to hijack this much-appreciated and much-needed and impressively thorough review, but to offer somewhat similar comments. I have 3 new '16 kits -- 120" TS with TSS; 129" CMXBK; and 129" SnowtechMX Adrenaline. While I have a lot LESS seat time than I'd like (4-5 good rides on each), and without discussing the myriad variables of rider weight and snow conditions and bike specifics etc. etc., I can definitely say that myself and 3 other riders ranging in skill levels from novice to "very good," in crusty and sticky/wet/too warm conditions (which it feels we're in for for the rest of this spring in Idaho/Utah and maybe other states), hands-down preferred the Timbersled ski over the Raptor X2 ski OR the Yeti ski, and only slightly over the SnowtechMX ski, which is a slightly modified version of the Simmons ski used by Timbersled (as I understand it). With this in mind, I would suggest all snowbike kit makers to offer more "options" with their kits, starting with the ski (CMX kit with TS ski, Yeti kit with TS ski, TS kit with Yeti ski, whatever the customer wants). Maybe that's just me. One thing is for sure, I am super impressed with all three of the above kits and feel there is not much separating them performance-wise or quality-wise. It might come down to pricing, customer support, turnaround time on delivery, or whatever else is most important to you, etc. I held off on the Yeti because I am not interested in meeting someone "at the border," I want it delivered to my doorstep (U.S.) in a timely manner. Are we there yet, Yeti? Thanks.

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
That Snowtech ski is a highly modded out gen two simmons ski made for sleds. I thought about doing it to the ones I have laying around but picked up a used ts ski instead. Must work pretty good?

Last edited:
Y

yooper 8

Apr 14, 2008
Thanks for the great review...I have been waiting for this exact information and it was really helpful!

Y
Nov 26, 2007
It is my understanding Argyl motors is shipping to your door in US.
We have swapped TS ski and Yeti ski back and forth with bike kits that are TS and Yeti. Its my opinion the Yeti ski outperforms in all situations and on either a Yeti or TS bike kit

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I've only been able to quickly test the Yeti 129 in windblown crusty powder and it quite frankly stunk compared to my 16 TSS 137. I know this is probably the worst condition for the Yeti so I'm hoping our local Yeti guy will let me hop on in better conditions. The issue wasn't the track so much as it was the ski... bites super hard like you described and actually felt like it was slowing me down and oversteering. Good review.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I don't have a dog in this hunt in anyway. Do you think that the extra 4.5" of track on the snow has any affect on this comparision? I don't have a bike here to measure, but the 129" should have at least 15% more track area on the ground. This is like comparing a 155" to a 162" track in the sled world.

B
Dec 17, 2015
I don't have a dog in this hunt in anyway. Do you think that the extra 4.5" of track on the snow has any affect on this comparision? I don't have a bike here to measure, but the 129" should have at least 15% more track area on the ground. This is like comparing a 155" to a 162" track in the sled world.

Yes, the 129" track has more track area on the ground, but the center lugs are spaced out more on the yeti compared to the timbersled track. The yeti track has a center lug every third window, while the timbersled has a center lug every second window. This means for a given track length the timbersled has 50% more lugs on the ground, so the 121" timbersled track is actually driving more lugs than the 129" yeti track.

Even with the longer track, the yeti drives the 129" better and faster than the timbersled drives the 120". I think a timbersled 129" track (if it was available) would feel sluggish compared to the yeti 129", and more comparable to the 137" yeti. In order to know for sure I would have to see how the yeti track does on the timbersled skid, but I believe that the extra lugs on the timbersled actually have more effect on how it feels than the extra 4.5" of track.

Sidenote, side lugs are the opposite. Timbersled has a set of side lugs every second window, while the yeti has side lugs on 2/3 of the windows. This means the yeti has more side lugs on the ground, but the side lugs are shorter on both tracks and don't move as much snow so I think the center lug spacing is more important. However, this is interesting since it means that the timbersled should get more traction while vertical while the yeti should get more traction while leaned over.

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
I've only been able to quickly test the Yeti 129 in windblown crusty powder and it quite frankly stunk compared to my 16 TSS 137. I know this is probably the worst condition for the Yeti so I'm hoping our local Yeti guy will let me hop on in better conditions. The issue wasn't the track so much as it was the ski... bites super hard like you described and actually felt like it was slowing me down and oversteering. Good review.
Yeah, the yeti ski is awful in crust conditions, just wants to grab and pull you harder into the turn. On a sidehill, it will pull your bike towards the hill resulting in you weighting the downhill side of the bike, which then sends you down the hill. Harder to ride on the crust.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
A few of the things i noticed was the Yeti was much much better on the trail. The ski doesnt wash out and give you that uncomfortable feeling the TS gives you. You can really rail around the corners and the ski tracks and stays where u want it.

In the deep snow the ski is also better. You can touch your bars to the ground and once again it doesnt wash out. I found the Yeti to get the power down better everywhere. It also climbs flatter and doesnt keep lifting the front up like the TS does.

I cant speak for the hard crusty stuff because we are still very deep in Revy and no crust to be seen. I know they did update that ski from the first release of the ski for that type of condition.

I sure like some of the other things Yeti has done. The belt drive is very good. I love the rear bumper, miles ahead of the TS bumper in function and ergonomics. The Yeti wheels are pure genius ! While the TS wheels are great quality and function ok they dont hold a candle to the way the Yeti wheels work. Its a one man show steering your bike around with the Yetis and no rear wheels needed.

The fit and finish is another big plus to the Yeti. The kit snaps together and comes apart easily. One thing i didnt like about TS was its construction. Its a old design and needs updating which im sure they have already done for next year.

Yeti has some cool things coming out which will make the kit even better performance wise. If you ever need info on Yeti call Jaimie or Kevin. Even if you dont own a kit. They love talking about the product and always strive for perfection.

Premium Features