• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutching for xf800 in the snowys

I have a 2012 xf800 141" powerclaw with 20/49 gears and plan on riding it in the snowys this winter at around 8000'-9000' and was wondering what weights I should use? My old m7 used to have a chart under the hood but apparently new sleds don't have it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

B-Ridge Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2011
Michigan
68g are what you need for that elevation but we where climbing above 9k when I was there wish I would have went lighter. 63g is a option 36 straight for helix is what the chart shows.

S

SpeedwerxInc

Nov 12, 2015
Forest Lake, MN
www.speedwerxstore.com
We offer a high elevation clutch kit for the XF that would include the 36° helix that you'd want- that's what the M and XF High Country use with the 2.25"+ tracks. If you already have the 36° helix, you can just order our M-Series kit. As mentioned above, you're on the edge weight-wise, we generally split it at up to 10,000 or 10,000+, but you can also order the adjustment kit (#SPXAWK) to add some weight to bring the R's down if you want to err on the safe side and get the 10,000+ kit with the lighter weights. Give us a call if you have any questions.
http://www.speedwerxstore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=971

I appreciate both replies, would I get by with the stock helix with lighter clutch weights, or do I need the 36° straight? I normally ride out west once a year and most of my riding is Michigan so if i can by by just swapping weights that'll be great

U
Oct 26, 2014
Minnesota
When I took my 12 XF 800 to Togwotee a few years ago before I got into the M sleds, I kept the stock 22/48 gears, 42/40 helix, and just changed the weights to 67 grams. Worked just fine for what I did running 8-10k elevation. Never had any issues. If you go out more than once a year, then yes, the optimal setup would be to invest in the 36* helix and maybe some 19/50 gears as well as the different weights, but you can get by without them and just swapping weights if its just one trip a year.

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
I ride a Crossfire High Country out West. If you ride quite a bit off trail you will need to go real light (63) if you keep the stock helix to get good back shift. With a 36 helix the 68 can work if you run the 083 belt. With the 084 belt 65 is better. The 083 belt does not like long full throttle pulls in meadows while carving or back to back long climbing runs. The 083 is definitely better for playing in the trees and technical riding. It also will give you about 150 more rpms with the same clutching over the 084.

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
Thanks for the insight, I did dig up some 63g weights I had in the shed, I think I'll just use the stock helix for this trip with the 63s. I might check into a 83 belt, will I have to take some shims out of the secondary?

The two belts have exactly the same dimensions. The shims in the secondary are for adjusting belt tightness. Unless you have a really worn 084 you should be fine with the 63 gram weights. The 083 might give you more rpms than you need.

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
With the 36 helix you should be set at 10000 feet with 63 grams. That is what I run in Colorado. You will likely need more weight if you are doing any amount of running below 10000 feet.

Premium Features