• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled vs UFO

S
Jan 28, 2014
snowbike

I realize this could generate a lot of opinions , but I'm looking for some info from people who have ridden both set ups....

Personally I have only been on the timbersled both st and lt ( limited experience)

I'm curious if anyone has any real first hand experience with riding both , and what they thought of the UFO kit and how they compare.

I believe the ski is the same and the track is also the same , so i guess the difference in suspension will be the big topic , is the drive the same ??

Thnx
i really like how the UFO works in all conditions!

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
...then we can call it a snowhawk!

I may be the odd man out here but I wish the timbersled did have a more dirt bike feel, and a lighter front end would do this. Don't get me wrong it is a great product that works and will go anywhere but I actually missed my 2moto when it comes to hardpack and trail riding(being from the midwest I have to deal with a lot of that). I think if someone can make a kit that will boondock, ride high speed trails and feel more like a dirt bike it will open up a lot of doors for people getting into the sport. Those from lower elevations and regions of the US without mountains and those who just want to trail ride(strange I know).

The UFO kit might just be what I am looking for.

You are also talking about the SX kit.

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Time for a shootout. Three identical bikes, one with UFO, one TS ST, one TS SX. Experienced riders, same place, same day. All of Justins updates on the UFO. And at the end of the day, take into account this is the first production year for UFO, but if he wants market share, it cant be too faroff, in comparison, going through soft snow. EDIT: Maybe frozen moto would want to play too???

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
...then we can call it a snowhawk!

I may be the odd man out here but I wish the timbersled did have a more dirt bike feel, and a lighter front end would do this. Don't get me wrong it is a great product that works and will go anywhere but I actually missed my 2moto when it comes to hardpack and trail riding(being from the midwest I have to deal with a lot of that). I think if someone can make a kit that will boondock, ride high speed trails and feel more like a dirt bike it will open up a lot of doors for people getting into the sport. Those from lower elevations and regions of the US without mountains and those who just want to trail ride(strange I know).

The UFO kit might just be what I am looking for.

check out the TKS Snowbike Kit for next winter, trail ride as fast as you want, one handed even, and not using the TS Ski, more videos in the coming weeks, snowcheck launch coming soon!! www.tkspecialtiesllc.com:face-icon-small-ton

D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
I believe that as of now TS is the best and made by the most experienced in the snow.

While UFO and TKS look interesting I believe they have to much un sprung weight, Think formula 1 car suspension. IMO having as little un sprung weight as possible allows the track to respond and float up on the snow rather than try and plow its way through it.

Every one keeps saying that the TS looks un-refined. that they don't use enough exotic materials, or that the tunnel is too weak. I disagree. I think its a perfect blend between new age processes and the tired and true. Theres a reason it looks like the back end of a snowmobile, because we know snowmobile suspension works. theres a reason snowmobile don't flex and rotate the entire track... it wouldn't work.

While I haven't ridden the UFO I believe these type of kits have another basic flaw. as Tq is applied to the track system of a fully suspended system, I believe the suspension is going to pre-compress. making it more rigged and cause the track to trench in rather than float. This also uses up valuable HP and TQ. This magnifies the effect that is common defect that almost all snowmobiles feel. As power is applied the rear suspension and track undergo compression and increases rolling resistance and robs power. I've seen one guy try a rear driven track with promising results, only problem was to many moving parts and raw weight. Never the less. I feel that any kit that has a fully suspended rear track system will have a hard time in the deep stuff, and will have problems with weight transfer under power.

I think an interesting compromise would be that of the RED Line snowmobile suspension and a snow bikes.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Am I not getting it or is the redline suspension a big swing arm?

The TS does alot of things very well, but I know the TKS and I am sure the UFO kits have their positives as well, its all about what you want to do with it :)

v2.jpg

Last edited:
D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
Am I not getting it or is the redline suspension a big swing arm?

The TS does alot of things very well, but I know the TKS and I am sure the UFO kits have their positives as well, its all about what you want to do with it :)

You are correct but look at how the track stays parallel to the ground. compress the TKS and UFO kits and the back of the track will rise up faster thank the front, basically lifting the back of the track off of the snow. I think this would be great on the trail but in the deep stuff it going to pitch the machine and lift he ski right off the snow, as seen in the video. TS does exactly the opposite by coupling the front to the back and always keeping a positive approach angle on the entire bottom of the track.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
You are correct but look at how the track stays parallel to the ground. compress the TKS and UFO kits and the back of the track will rise up faster thank the front, basically lifting the back of the track off of the snow. I think this would be great on the trail but in the deep stuff it going to pitch the machine and lift he ski right off the snow, as seen in the video. TS does exactly the opposite by coupling the front to the back and always keeping a positive approach angle on the entire bottom of the track.

On the TKS kit the track always stays level, and moves with the contour of the ground, the rear of the track is always planted. the skid uses a pivoting X design, to spread the weight of the bike out over the rails and allow it to move simultaneously with the suspension and the ground, I will post video soon

D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
On the TKS kit the track always stays level, and moves with the contour of the ground, the rear of the track is always planted. the skid uses a pivoting X design, to spread the weight of the bike out over the rails and allow it to move simultaneously with the suspension and the ground, I will post video soon

If this is the case, that changes everything. I'd be very interested in that.

I'd also like to see details on the approach angle of the track and the hight of the drive sprocket from the bottom of the skid.

B
Mar 16, 2013
Got some seat time this weekend a ufo. I was very blown away with how well it works. The ski doesn't uncontrollably want to lift at all, but when you want it to come up you can pick it up. It felt like I was riding a bike with a big back tire. Response to rider input was awesome! Before you judge one you should ride one as videos don't do it justice. Seeing the bike take bumps at 60 that I wouldn't want to hit on my sled at 60 is pretty impressive to say the least.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Does the UFO work on PDS bikes also? Or is it just for linkage bikes?

M
Nov 23, 2010
Bozeman
The UFO kits are built very well, every piece is machined in house. I have both ts sx and ufo and in my opinion the ufo will last alot longer and be able to take more abuse. My kit is currently getting the updates installed and I am stoked to get it back. I seen all the parts and all the changes and I believe they are going to make it work way better. On firm snow the ufo is a blast and does have alot more dirt bike feel and now I cant wait to get it back to ride in the deep snow again. Justin is confident and motivated to make these better then the ts and he might be on to something!

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
The UFO kits are built very well, every piece is machined in house. I have both ts sx and ufo and in my opinion the ufo will last alot longer and be able to take more abuse. My kit is currently getting the updates installed and I am stoked to get it back. I seen all the parts and all the changes and I believe they are going to make it work way better. On firm snow the ufo is a blast and does have alot more dirt bike feel and now I cant wait to get it back to ride in the deep snow again. Justin is confident and motivated to make these better then the ts and he might be on to something!

Please please please provide an update once you've had an opportunity to ride it with the updates. Thanks!!

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
UFO is shipping me a complete new front and rear kit with updates installed for free. How is that for customer service! They are paying to ship my old kit back as well after I put the new one on. The front has more rake to make it better on packed trail but can be set back for steeper terrain. The rear has a support wheel to take the bounce out of the top of the track and has wheels at the front of the rails, almost anti stab wheels. I was told they free up a lot of power. They were really surprised what a difference there is. They also moved the pivot point back on the rails I think but I'm not exactly sure.

Personally I really like the billet design of my UFO. The chaincase is pretty indestructible. They say it is lighter by 10 pounds than other kits but I don't know for sure. I do know it is insanely fun to ride in open fields. You can drag the handlebar at will when you rail turns. Everyone that tries it loves it.

I am going to go down to Facrory Connection and get stiffer springs for both ends of my bike though. I think that will be very helpful.

I have only ridden in Eastern Canada. My Idaho trip didn't happen and we barely have any snow in New Hampshire. I think we are going to Wolf Creek in February though. Canada was 5+ feet of snow with no base so I had to resort to riding my sled to get across the bottomless holes that had random stumps in them. I really didn't want to fold my forks on something hard. We tore 2 tracks on that trip :-(

IMG_68435524019233.jpeg IMG_61214056264827.jpeg

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
I just wish they made one you could jump !
I'm new to the snow bikes . The thing feels like its gonna nose dive!

I love jumping my sled and riding motocross on my yz .
I thought they would be more like a motocross bike .. Im a little disapointed

I have a st mountain horse on a 2010 yz 450 gonna try the stiffest fork springs I can get maybe it will help

Premium Features