• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Husky 511 Mountain Horse

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I got a chance to ride the Husky today and I have to say I was impressed with it's out-of-the-box performance. No fuel controller needed, no thermostat needed... just gas it and go. The low end torque on this thing gets you INSTANT track speed and the split close/wide ratio gearbox makes a ton of sense (1-3 close ratio, 4-6 wide ratio).

The only thing holding me back from saying it dominates is my inability (and all of ours today) to differentiate performance from the long track to the short track kits. The Husky has the long track and new ski while my KX is short track with the old ski. The Husky was able to take steeper angles than I could, but how much of that is related to the long track is yet to be seen. I hope to ride a long tracked KX this season to see the difference.

But, regardless, the Husky is getting it done.

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Installed the FMF pipe on the Husky, Randy screened the air box and he wrapped the header pipe for me. As this bike is a closed loop efi, no reflash was necessary. The bike readjusted to the changes and ran absolutely perfect all day long.

The bike gained a lot of power with the slip on and was worth the 1/2 an hour it took to install! The bike builds strong bottom end power and revs quickly. The transmission ratios seem perfect for a Mt Horse kit and work well.

As Rush mentioned, I don't know how much the long track kit is helping, but this bike just flat works!!!! Not one single complaint so far and is really a high quality bike with a lot of great features and a high build quality.

I will keep updating as I go.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Thanks Steve.
I have to say, that is about the nicest snow bike I've ridden yet. The quality if the bike in general, Hydraulic clutch was amazing, the "feel" and ballance of the entire package is amazing. The power and gearing are perfect. The "smart EFI" is priceless. No programmer needed, no gas in your oil, and keeps updating in real time, like our auto's do. That Husky 511 with the long track is very, very nice. Thanks again Steve and Penco.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
sounds like a cool bike, seen some drive systems like that in the mtn bike stuff for a few years, glad to see it coming to the moto world.

curious how much the ECU uses the O2 sensor on these bikes, would be fun to run one with a separate wideband 02 sensor. I know lots of efi toys that have sensors but basically run open loop 95+% of the time.

T
Mar 9, 2012
[QUOTE curious how much the ECU uses the O2 sensor on these bikes, would be fun to run one with a separate wideband 02 sensor. I know lots of efi toys that have sensors but basically run open loop 95+% of the time.[/QUOTE]

I know that in the supermoto world the O2 sensor is the first thing to be pulled off and thrown in the trash on these bikes. Makes them perform SO much better once piped.

You used the TXC wich is a great choice for a snowbike. Slightly hi-po motor over other models and the split gear box. I'm actully thinking of getting ten or so TE's with mountain horse kits for a rental program I'm starting. The husky makes the perfect bike as it is plated from the factory and where I live that means I can even ride it through town with the mountain horse kit on it ;)!!!!!!!

Last edited:
D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
[QUOTE curious how much the ECU uses the O2 sensor on these bikes, would be fun to run one with a separate wideband 02 sensor. I know lots of efi toys that have sensors but basically run open loop 95+% of the time.

I know that in the supermoto world the O2 sensor is the first thing to be pulled off and thrown in the trash on these bikes. Makes them perform SO much better once piped.

You used the TXC wich is a great choice for a snowbike. Slightly hi-po motor over other models and the split gear box. I'm actully thinking of getting ten or so TE's with mountain horse kits for a rental program I'm starting. The husky makes the perfect bike as it is plated from the factory and where I live that means I can even ride it through town with the mountain horse kit on it ;)!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Would be an awesome rental set up!

C
Jan 2, 2013
First off, awesome looking bike! I currently own a 2010 Husky sm450r and love it on the street. Came across these conversion kits several years ago and my interest was recently sparked again due to the lack of riding time.
Glad to see a Husky with a track and hear good reviews. Post up a vid of this thing in action!

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
Always loved husqvarna. Would love to see a long track wide ski TE 610/630. I realize they are no longer in production, but that is what I will have for my ADV bike this coming year. Have a friend that is going to sell to me.

Anywho, nice work!

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Those are a great dual sport bike and should be fun for a Mt. Horse kit even being a little heavy compared to other bikes. Allan had a kit on a 690 KTM that worked pretty damn good.

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
The 950 would have a lot of power but would suck for what makes these kits really shine and thats the light weight and handling in the tight stuff. If your going to ride a heavy but powerful snow toy, why not just get a sled?

The fun with these is in dicing through the trees and pulling off sick sidehills with ease.

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
I haven't ridden a mtn horse yet so I am talking out of my arse here. I still think a SE would be waaaaayyyy more nimble than a sled. Just thinking outside the box here. Not too Many moons ago a long track and what was thought was possible on a sled has changed drastically.

Just saying, SE long enough track but still short enough would be really cool to see!

Kick *** bike nonetheless.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
That's the spirit!

The current lines of living room furniture are actually pretty LITE!:face-icon-small-win

Thank the heavens for their real estate occupied they will never destroy our single track as their 4 wheel brethren. Try as they may it's cost prohibitive. http://www.backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=26236

Backcountrysnowbikes built a GSXR750 powered MH, Travis scraped the idea for every time the throttle was eased, the machine wanted to start an underground grass roots movement. No one has tried a Vtwin to my knowledge and if placed far enough back why wouldn't one cylinder counter act the other. A TL1000R engine comes in at a around 100lbs, KTM/Husky 500-690? I rode the Aprilia with the EXPLORER, it felt powerful as if on hard ground. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCd0mO7Lo0

_DSC09464.jpg

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
I agree the 950se is an awesome bike and one of my top 10 favorites to ride. How can you NOT like a dirt bike that will shread a knobbie at 60+ MPH! Lol I just don't think it would be fun for a mt horse application.

The first time I rode horses, Allan had a kit on a 690 KTM and three 450 mx bikes. The 690 had a lot of torque and got around pretty good, but jumping on the 450's, you realize that the weight of the 690 hinders the performance and especially the fun factor drastically.

If you were riding very open areas, the 950 would be a blast and I would LOVE to throw a leg over it and try it, but in the tight stuff, I think you would regret it. Just my thoughts from my somewhat limited experience.

Premium Features