• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Husky 511 Mountain Horse

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
We decided to build a new Husky 511 Mt. Horse. Why? Because nobody had ever installed a kit on a Husky with the Coaxial drive system, we had the bike available, and it's fun to try new and different things. Alan and his crew did an amazing job and now the kits are available to the public. Also because the Husky is highly engineered with input from BMW and Husky. The bike is equipped with a closed loop fuel injection with O2 sensor making for ease of starting even when cold, electric start, two stage ignition, 2.51 gal fuel tank mounted under the seat, high capacity air box, hydraulic clutch, and a very smooth and torquey motor designed by BMW.

Per Alans recomendation, the bike was built with a 136 long track kit with the new 2" paddles. I also installed a 2" Rox riser, a KTM E-Line carbon fiber pipe guard (which fit perfectly), and a handlebar bag.

The first impressions on the road was that the bike was underpowered compared to a 450 MX bike, but as soon as we hit deep snow, that fear went away as the bike worked incredibly well. Other than some snow getting in the airbox, the bike worked flawlessly and was an absolute blast to ride.

The bike will be an ongoing test bed. The next changes are air box mods to keep the snow out, an FMF slip on to increase the power with a reflash, and header wrap by Randy to keep my pants in one piece.

I'll try and update this thread as I go.

64691_550009218360059_272196012_n.jpg

300994_550945038266477_1655995484_n.jpg

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
When I bought my new bike in the spring I did have a good look at the Husky,there were some real good deals to be had but TS did not have a kit for it so I did get the New WR 450
And now this --- sharp looking set up.
I am real happy with the WR great woods bike and does well with the Snow Donkey kit ( MH ):bounce:

X
Oct 6, 2010
Please keep us updated!

Nice! 6 Speeds! CTS, FI the Husky is well featured except for no back-up kick starting. Allen informed me that the 511 MH was coming while I was picking up MH S/N 391 for a KTM. I have been evaluating the 511 for my next bike. I need a 1 quiver bike instead of the 3 that I have now.

Now that the 511 has been fitted to a MH the hurdle I see know is no back up kicker.

Have you Husaberg, KTM 690 and Husky MH pilots had any bad experiences with getting your bikes started with electric only?

I want a 511 with the CTS in the worst way but the absence of the kicker seems like a deal breaker.

Please keep us updated! Thanx!:face-icon-small-coo

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Very nice set up! - Should do well in the deep stuff.

What is the co axial drive set up you mentioned? I'm not familiar with that term.
What hp is the 511 rated at?

The coaxial drive is engineering that came from BMW. This traction-making advantage allows the swingarm to pivot on the same axis as the countershaft sprocket. The Kayaba shock is mounted on a linkage system located above the swingarm, keeping it out of harm’s way while not impeding ground clearance. Zerk fittings come standard on the
CTS linkage, keeping maintenance easy and effortless. Incredible climbing ability and unparalleled straight-line stability remain strong points of the CTS-equipped models. Also​
the chain tension doesn't change with the suspension moving so the chain and sprockets last much longer. It really is an interesting system and people that have ridden this bike in the dirt, swear by it.

The 511 is rated at 41hp but this is in the EPA friendly (choked to death) setting. The TXC comes with a chip that plugs in for the hotter flash and the OEM muffler is extremely plugged up. Unofficially, my sources at Husky claim this bike should be 50-54hp with the chip, exhaust, and TC449 intake boot. We will see with testing. I wish I had had the chance to throw this bike on the dyno before the horse was installed to veryify hp gains. Im thinking about buying a demo 511 from Husky and doing our dyno testing on this bike before installing the parts on the horse bike as we have a full dyno room.​

Nice! 6 Speeds! CTS, FI the Husky is well featured except for no back-up kick starting. Allen informed me that the 511 MH was coming while I was picking up MH S/N 391 for a KTM. I have been evaluating the 511 for my next bike. I need a 1 quiver bike instead of the 3 that I have now.

Now that the 511 has been fitted to a MH the hurdle I see know is no back up kicker.

Have you Husaberg, KTM 690 and Husky MH pilots had any bad experiences with getting your bikes started with electric only?

I want a 511 with the CTS in the worst way but the absence of the kicker seems like a deal breaker.

Please keep us updated! Thanx!:face-icon-small-coo

I wouldn't worry about not having a kick starter.

I've had to "pull start" a few bikes now. It's actually a piece of cake to get them going.

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
I agree with the above post. I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of MH kits on 570 bergs and KTM XC's with no kick start. My buddy made a small and compact jumper cable set when riding his 09 450 XC and carried it in his pack but never used them in a full season. Also, the Husky is a closed loop system and starts amazingly well even in the cold with no enrichener.

I rode a 12 KTM 350xc all season and never once used the kickstarter and for 13, KTM eliminated the kickstarter all together. The only EFI bike that has hard starting issues is the WR450. It's almost mandatory to have to kick start this bike when its cold as the e-start won't light it up cold. Strange.......

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
You got that right bloody 2012 WR 450 KICK STARTS REAL EASY but e start will not fire it up when cold period. Works when hot most of the time if you crank the idle way up. They use the same starter as the WR 250 and it does not spin over fast enough .I love the bike in any other way -- Just lucky to have a kick start on that one. If anyone from Yamaha is on here -- we need a fix for this.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Most of my problems with the WR450 estart was when the piston was at top-dead-center and the starter motor couldn't crank through the compression. I would kick the motor over slightly (usually pretty hard to kick past this point if that's where it's starting from) and then push the estart button.

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
True on the old WR, but we are talking about the 12 with EFI that SHOULD start but wont. I have a brand new one in my dyno room, at room temperature, that will NOT start with the e-start without being kick started initially. The KTM's and Huskys start immediately with no need for a kick. The e-start will work once warmed up but ONLY if you use the enrichener which sucks.

Y

yamaharida111

Oct 19, 2012
Seems like a lot of work to get a big 500 to over 50 horses when all the Jap or even ktm 450s are right around 50 stock. Also, just saw the new Dungey edition sx450f their claiming it will be a 60HP bike out of the box!!! Now thats something I'd like to put one of the kits on.

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
A slip on and intake boot is a lot of work? It's a half hour job if that and the jumper wire plugged in in seconds.

We have a 2013 450SX sitting right here but demand is high for this bike and the price is much higher than the Husky. Also, TS needed a Husky to design a fit kit and hooked us up with a great deal on the skid installed.

If you ask the guys I rode with Sunday, they will tell you that the Husky, even stock, had no issues going anywhere.

A

aadougie

Nov 26, 2007
Bigfork, Montana
I agree with the above post. I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of MH kits on 570 bergs and KTM XC's with no kick start. My buddy made a small and compact jumper cable set when riding his 09 450 XC and carried it in his pack but never used them in a full season. Also, the Husky is a closed loop system and starts amazingly well even in the cold with no enrichener.

I rode a 12 KTM 350xc all season and never once used the kickstarter and for 13, KTM eliminated the kickstarter all together. The only EFI bike that has hard starting issues is the WR450. It's almost mandatory to have to kick start this bike when its cold as the e-start won't light it up cold. Strange.......

I actually carried a spare lightweight battery (Shorai - 2.5#) and made a jumper out of orange extension cord...never needed it in practice but it was reassuring to have along.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
True on the old WR, but we are talking about the 12 with EFI that SHOULD start but wont. I have a brand new one in my dyno room, at room temperature, that will NOT start with the e-start without being kick started initially. The KTM's and Huskys start immediately with no need for a kick. The e-start will work once warmed up but ONLY if you use the enrichener which sucks.

If you crank up the Idle -- a lot it will start easier and not rely as much on the enricher. When it is really cold I do not even use the enricher starts second kick every time just sucks to have a none functioning e start .
If I was not such a awsome Off road Bike I would have got rid of it right away just for the anoying E start issue.

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Just recieved the FMF PowerCore 4 slip on and will be installing it before the weekend. Randy is going to wrap and silicone the header pipe before I install it.

The stock silencer was 11 lbs and the FMF is 5.5 lbs so exactly HALF the weight and tucks in much tighter and looks way better. Hoping for big power gains as the OEM silencer is really choked down. This weekend will tell.

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Curious to see how it holds up, I know racing them offroad they do not and many of husky's riders left the team and it was rumored because of the bike.

Looks good though.

There's only one way to find out!

I don't know about riders leaving the team, but I do know that in 2012, Husqvarna did pretty good in offroad:

Andrew Delong: 3rd overall GNCC (after missing the first two rounds)
Cory Graffunder: 1st overall AMA Western Hare Scrambles (on a TXC511)
Cory Graffunder: 5th overall AMA Pro Endurocross
Kyle Redmund: 7th overall AMA Pro Endurocross
Fred Hoess: Gold in the 2012 ISDE in Germany
Andrew Delong: Gold in the 2012 ISDE in Germany
Andreas Lettenbichler:2nd overall Red Bull Romaniacs (one of the toughest races in the world!)

There's many more of course, but the bikes must not be that bad! :face-icon-small-coo

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
There's only one way to find out!

I don't know about riders leaving the team, but I do know that in 2012, Husqvarna did pretty good in offroad:

Andrew Delong: 3rd overall GNCC (after missing the first two rounds)
Cory Graffunder: 1st overall AMA Western Hare Scrambles (on a TXC511)
Cory Graffunder: 5th overall AMA Pro Endurocross
Kyle Redmund: 7th overall AMA Pro Endurocross
Fred Hoess: Gold in the 2012 ISDE in Germany
Andrew Delong: Gold in the 2012 ISDE in Germany
Andreas Lettenbichler:2nd overall Red Bull Romaniacs (one of the toughest races in the world!)

There's many more of course, but the bikes must not be that bad! :face-icon-small-coo

If it is the bikes fault I want one bad. :bounce:

Premium Features