• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Solutions for MtnHorse lust for more power...

F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
As I ponder a snow-bike, I consider the following things:

500 cc bike needs more power
V-twins make more torque which seems to be more important than raw power ( ie high revving Bullet bikes )
A dedicated snowbike wouldn't be that bad ( rather than swapping out the kit spring and fall )
The rear suspention of the bike isn't a factor on the Timbersled kit ( no MX bike necessary )
Forks and front travel could be changed as well as the bars

With that in mind, I thought about a buddies Suzuki TL1000R and the massive torque it makes... TOO heavy and 1000cc is not very practical...

Enter Suzuki's SV650 sport bike... a 40 % increase in power over a YZ450F or a CR450F, More torque, a powerband fatter than Oprah, a 12,000 RPM redline and fuel injection ( no jetting required )! Although heavier, it still represents a bigger gain in HP and torque than it does in weight.

So out I went to the workshop and cobbed one together... Hope you like it...

sv650Mtn Horse 001.jpg

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
As I ponder a snow-bike, I consider the following things:

500 cc bike needs more power
V-twins make more torque which seems to be more important than raw power ( ie high revving Bullet bikes )
A dedicated snowbike wouldn't be that bad ( rather than swapping out the kit spring and fall )
The rear suspention of the bike isn't a factor on the Timbersled kit ( no MX bike necessary )
Forks and front travel could be changed as well as the bars

With that in mind, I thought about a buddies Suzuki TL1000R and the massive torque it makes... TOO heavy and 1000cc is not very practical...

Enter Suzuki's SV650 sport bike... a 40 % increase in power over a YZ450F or a CR450F, More torque, a powerband fatter than Oprah, a 12,000 RPM redline and fuel injection ( no jetting required )! Although heavier, it still represents a bigger gain in HP and torque than it does in weight.

So out I went to the workshop and cobbed one together... Hope you like it...

I think timbersled has a kit out for a KTM SMR 690. Same idea although I dont know the output of the bike I would love to get one.

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
Boondocker Nitrous on the carburetored bikes works sweet. I ran a 15 HP shot on a 09 YZ 450. Ran 50 pounds of nos through that bike and it never had a problem with anything. I would recommend that to satisfy your need for more power. It’s something that is possible for most people.

Allen

Last edited:
B
Nov 23, 2008
Emerald Valley
wonder twin

It's definitely a fast *** bike. There's always gearing changes... There's also the throttle cam as well. Nice thing about the Aprilia is the fuel injection. The questionable weight gain w/ the v twin isn't really a problem either. I have a sxv 550 that weighs 255 lbs w/ it's wheels on.:face-icon-small-sho Try riding one and then your mind will wander for awhile. There really unbelievable. There's 450's as well in the rxv and sxv models.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
I would believe the KTM 505 would kick ***. Much more power than a 450/530 and revs faster. I thought of getting one for my first snowbike (2Moto). The deal breaker was the lack of a kick starter for me.
They dont have any extra charging, so no hot grips.

Cool i just got a ktm 505 to put the MH kit on,just need the kit now lol.It pulls alot harder than my old crf450r.I do wish it was kick start too! but the E start is nice.If anyone wants to sell there MH kit for a ktm let me know ill be all over it.I hope i dont regret selling my t apex to go for this.:face-icon-small-con

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Install a larger battery

Cool i just got a ktm 505 to put the MH kit on,just need the kit now lol.It pulls alot harder than my old crf450r.I do wish it was kick start too! but the E start is nice.If anyone wants to sell there MH kit for a ktm let me know ill be all over it.I hope i dont regret selling my t apex to go for this.:face-icon-small-con
There is 10 of us that ride MH's together here in N Idaho. Most of us started on 2Moto's and during the learning curve we would run our batttery's flat until we all installed larger battery's.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
There is 10 of us that ride MH's together here in N Idaho. Most of us started on 2Moto's and during the learning curve we would run our batttery's flat until we all installed larger battery's.

I just found this out today,when i got the bike the battery was shot,so got a new wps battery,charged it over night put in bike and started fine.So this afternoon i took the bike to the woods to ride around in about a foot of snow and it would not start,jumped it with the truck and off i went ripping around,killed it trying to jump over a log and dead i set. couldnt push start,so had to push it to the truck.So ya wish it had a kick starter lol.What battery should i get,or did i not charge it right?

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
check the charging system. I have not had much bad luck with the wps batteries but the yuasa are better most of the time.

I just found this out today,when i got the bike the battery was shot,so got a new wps battery,charged it over night put in bike and started fine.So this afternoon i took the bike to the woods to ride around in about a foot of snow and it would not start,jumped it with the truck and off i went ripping around,killed it trying to jump over a log and dead i set. couldnt push start,so had to push it to the truck.So ya wish it had a kick starter lol.What battery should i get,or did i not charge it right?

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
Ive been working on a small turbo kit on my old xr400r,im using a RHB31 turbo.if it works good i will start working with the ktm505.I thank this will be the next big thing for making the best out of the snow kits,im looking to run about 5 lbs of boost with the 400 with 10/1 comp with av fuel.The turbo is going to be mounted in the air box,will not be IC but maybe in time after i see if it works lol

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Im looking for a cheap husaberg 570 FI very unreliable fuel pumps but mabe worth a try or a KTM 950 super enduro???

Premium Features