• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boyesen power reeds with SLP setup on M1000

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
Like the title says. Has anyone run boyesen power reeds on an M1000 with slp exhaust? I have a set that I was going to install before I bought the slp system. The guy that I talked to at slp said that they had done enough testing to know that the v-force reeds/cages worked well, but he couldn't suggest the boyesen power reeds because he didnt know how they would work.

Also, is there an easier way to remove the airbox on these sleds? I had mine all apart last spring, but I am dreading the thought of doing it again. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Basically manhandled and folded the box up while removing and installing it. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
I should rephrase that last question. Is there an easier way of removing the plastic box that goes between the airbox and the throttle bodies?

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
I think the $ vs the gain you will see doesnt justify buying them, you might see a little something with porting though.

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
Thanks Arich, but I dont think porting will be on the list of mods. At least for this season anyway. I actually have a set of power reeds already so I was just wondering if anyone had used them in their sled. The sled has 2000 miles on it and I suspect that they are still the original reeds. They looked good last spring, but if it comes to a point where I get the chance to change them I probably will.

Question is: Do I put the power reeds in (they use the cat cages) or just go to cat and get a set of oem reeds?

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Re: Boyesen

I had a 07 M1000 with SLP pipeset, STM exhaust valves, and RK Tek head. I installed V-force reeds as per SLP's recommendation - they were toast with less then 500 miles. I then installed Boyesen Rage Cages, which worked great and are still in the sled after I've sold it. Throttle response was considerably better, had a little more snort then my buddies M1K that had stock reeds. Boyesen makes a quality product, if you have them, put them in.
As far as the plastic ducting is concerned, it is a PITA no matter how you look at it.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
It can't hurt to put them in. I just got done putting them in my M1K. I can't report yet on how they perform but I will stand by my statement that I would rather cut my nutz off with a spoon than do that again!! My M8 wasn't that bad, still wasn't fun, but that 1000 is a whole lot tighter in there!

As for a tutorial on the air boot...thats located on the bottom of a twelve pack of Busch lite! If you finish said twelve pack, it doesn't really get any easier, but at least you don't feel like such an idiot for letting a piece of plastic kick your *** for so long! :face-icon-small-hap

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
Thanks guys. I have to finish up the bumper update and then add the extra motor mounts. After that I am going to pull the DD and replace the bearings. The sled has 2100 miles, but I have only driven it for the last 200 so I dont know if they have ever been done. Figure I will replace them and the brake side one regardless of how they look. Hard to find the time to do everything so I have plenty to do to keep me busy for a while.

I should put this question in another thread, but what do you guys thing about changing the stock track on this sled to a camo extreme. Right now it is the stock 153, but I have a 159x2.5 ported camo extreme on my old MC 800 and I am debating whether I should swap the two tracks around before I try to sell the MC.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I just removed the reed cages on my m1000, I am replacing the pedals in delta3 Vforce reed cage. I would say that it is a pita for sure. Getting the rubber manifold out between the air box and throttle bodies took some time, however when I grabbed the bottom of the manifold and gave it a good pull toward the front of the sled it came right out. The next pita was the coolant lines to and from throttle body off, putting an extension on both line here may be something to consider.

Premium Features