• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Iowans opinions on Places west to ride

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
Just got to thinking the other night about the upcoming season, planning west trips etc. was wondering everyones input on the best (Your opinion) places out west to ride and stay? I myself have only rode in the snowy's area. so far so good. maybe some input on Colorado or possible further west if anyone has been that far.
Just a thought and to get everyone back to thinking sleds :rockon:

Thanks Everyone!

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
Snowies is where I ride. But will be hitting the flat tops in co this winter hopefully. We like to do lots of short trips rather than a couple long ones so snowies are easy for us.

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
I agree also, id rather have 5 or 6 smaller trips than 2 long ones. seems like its more fun and your not too sore afterwards. where do you stay?

snowho96

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
ia
I go to the snowies or northern big horns. Like the big horns a little better cause there is less traffic on 90, you can ride from all the lodges,good powder is close to the lodges, don't have to worry about fuel, trails seem groomed better. dislike that it is 2 hrs futher for me, have to book rooms ahead earlier if going over a weekend. like that the snowies are closer, can get rooms in centennial at short notice. dislike having to trailer up every day, have to watch fuel in good powder areas, that some of the rooms are pretty dumpy in centennial, traffic is bad on 80, trails are rough at the end of the days ride back to the trailer. I have been to togotee area but didn't stay at the lodge. liked the area ,but the long distance to travel makes me shy away if there is good snow closer. I would like to try some areas in Colorado sometime too.

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
I go to the snowies or northern big horns. Like the big horns a little better cause there is less traffic on 90, you can ride from all the lodges,good powder is close to the lodges, don't have to worry about fuel, trails seem groomed better. dislike that it is 2 hrs futher for me, have to book rooms ahead earlier if going over a weekend. like that the snowies are closer, can get rooms in centennial at short notice. dislike having to trailer up every day, have to watch fuel in good powder areas, that some of the rooms are pretty dumpy in centennial, traffic is bad on 80, trails are rough at the end of the days ride back to the trailer. I have been to togotee area but didn't stay at the lodge. liked the area ,but the long distance to travel makes me shy away if there is good snow closer. I would like to try some areas in Colorado sometime too.

Good review! my comments are about the same, id also love to get to

Colorado, heard the snow in janruary and February is amazing. just never

had a chance. keep the comments coming and pray for snow!! :clap2:

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
buff pass is not as crowded so I like it better, been going to snowies for 16 years now, it is getting too crowded for me, maybe the most rigs I have seen at buff is 6. if you can hit buff after a storm during the week you have the place to yourself. endless meadows and some climbing. have to search more for untouched powder in snowies but that can be a fun game also. need to hit the flattops&horns sometime. sierra madres is okay but a smaller area, can get in trouble there if you do not know that area. forgot about the grand mesa, longer drive but I need to go there.

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
forgot about the wind, they are not the blowies for no reason! seems like a lot less wind in Colorado.

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
buff pass is not as crowded so I like it better, been going to snowies for 16 years now, it is getting too crowded for me, maybe the most rigs I have seen at buff is 6. if you can hit buff after a storm during the week you have the place to yourself. endless meadows and some climbing. have to search more for untouched powder in snowies but that can be a fun game also. need to hit the flattops&horns sometime. sierra madres is okay but a smaller area, can get in trouble there if you do not know that area. forgot about the grand mesa, longer drive but I need to go there.

how far of a drive is buff pass for you crossfire man?

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
walden is a hour from Laramie, we stay at north park inn as the owner dave is from iowa and usually rides a day with us. buff parking lot is about a 30 minute drive west of walden, where rabbit ears is about an hour and more crowded. best snow is usually on top there at buff

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I prefer to ride anywhere where the IA boyz are NOT riding:high5:

Where we ride the most is not necessarrity our preferred but it wins given proximity...that being the snowies.

sabels

Premium Member
Dec 19, 2007
Flatlands
Snowies would be our go to place but we try new places each year also. Togwotee is good but drive is killer! Grand Mesa was fun and we are headed back to steamboat lake this year as we need to explore it a bit more! Bucket list is Revy, someday lol!

J

jetnier

Feb 19, 2008
Iowa
You might call our group "lame" because we like a few days "on trail" as well as a few days off trail... but we prefer Island Park, Idaho. Traffic gets worse every year, as we never hardly met a sled when we started going out there 10 - 11 years ago, but the area is hard to beat for lodging, restaurants/bars, and variety of riding. As long as you stay away from West, it never seems to be too bad. I will admit we are starting to dread the 20 hour drive though.

We also like the Snowies for a shorter trip, but the weather seems to cooperate about once every three trips... (WIND).

M

mtncat800

Nov 26, 2007
Central Iowa
From N.W. Iowa it is probably a toss up to as far as drive time to Togwotee or Steamboat. I ride Togwotee a couple times a year and Steamboat the rest. Togwotee has diverse terrain and more wildlife. I have a house in Dubois and prefer to trailer up every day so you are mobile and can ride something different every day. Steamboat has more to do and some great food over Walden. You have access to Steamboat Lake, Rabbit Ears as well as the Flat Tops with an hour drive south. All are great depending on snow conditions. Always looking for guys that want to tag along, usually only a couple of us from DSM that go at a time. All of you guys who are in love with the Snowies........stay there :face-icon-small-hap I have always thought it was crowded and wind blown. Very easy access off of the Interstate and an easy drive from the midwest.

I'd say the ultimate spot is rabbit ears pass, i was just there two weeks ago and they had great coverage and a significant base compared to the other places I've rode this season. Theres a little bit of everything out there, try to meet up with someone who knows it because theres some gnarly areas if you haven't spent much time in the high rockies. Depending on the day you might catch one of the slednecks walking around the parking lot. Buffalo pass is very close to, and even closer to steamboat (for lodging ect..) Not one of my favorite spots but I've rode there this season already too. Colorados champagne powder!

Grand Lake Colorado is great, i think there claim to fame is "Colorados capital of snowmobiling." I rented a sled here before i bought my rmk, some really cool riding and On the Trail rentals are badass if you need to rent. Brand new RMKS and Skidoos.

Vail Pass is also good, and close to breckenridge and vail i haven't been yet this season but i have friends that said the coverage looked good. i would say its got more open meadows and easy riding. I haven't explored but 50 miles of area out there but what i rode was pretty calm.

also check out snowy range in WY if you want to stick close to i80.

Im from Iowa but now live California now, theres some great riding out this way if you really feel inclined to make a drive. Heres some snaps from my weekend at the Little Truckee Summit.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_4150.jpg
    IMG_4150.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4139.jpg
    IMG_4139.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4136.jpg
    IMG_4136.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 87
Premium Features