• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'07 Crossfire 800 blew up

S
Jan 15, 2011
Minnesota
Just blew up my 07 Crossfire 800 yesterday(the day before I was to go to Togwotee with it:face-icon-small-fro) I guess that it's better blown up at home than down in some insanely deep hole in Wyoming! :face-icon-small-sho

Anyways, I took it out for the first run of the year(we finally got a little snow to ride!
TgC_emoticon143.gif
) to make sure it was gonna be good to go out west. It wasn't good.

It was running really ragged between somewhere around 6500-7500rpm. It was good at the slower rpms and once it was opened up above 7500 it was good also. After riding the trails for about an hour, it melted down when I kept it in the 'rough' running rpms. It seized up the right piston.
boohoo.gif

The piston/cylinder seems to have been getting plenty of oil. The spark is good. The top of the piston looks perfect. It cooked it on both the forward side and rear side of the cylinder. Air intake is clean(no mouse house).

I think it wasn't getting fuel to the right cylinder in the 'rough running' rpms. Like it just dropped out and then picked back up when above or below those rpms. When I kept in that rough zone it (possibly without getting the fuel/oil?) it siezed.

I'm going to rebuild it, but want to fix the cause of it otherwise it'll happen again.

Possibly an injector issue? ecu? something else? We did find that the ground wire for the electrical system was loose. It was the ground that attaches to the steering support on the right side. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
Southsider
beer_cheers.gif

Last edited:
S
Jan 15, 2011
Minnesota
Everything is totally stock under the hood. Only mods are PP skis, mtn seat, and running boards. 3100 miles on it. Brand new plugs, power valves cleaned, Amsoil Interceptor oil. Pulled it out of the garage for the first time this year and it acted up.

F
Apr 5, 2009
buddy had a 03 mcat 800 that would od that run rough in the mid range but fine down low and up high. and it burnt down also. ened up being a bad clutch weight and spider bearing. may not be your situation but we had it in the gurage a lot trying to figure it out and found out what it was after he burnt it down on his trip to the big horns.

S
Jan 15, 2011
Minnesota
hmmm, I had just put brand new 65g clutch weights on the drive clutch before pulling it out of the warm garage. It also had brand new clutch springs on the drive and driven clutches. I'll look into that.

Doubt cold seize. It was plenty warm.

Half of the fuel had been in the sled since late November(was expecting snow then and never got it). It has been in the garage since early November.I had just added a little IsoHeet and then topped it off before leaving the garage.

Since I didn't get to go to Tog, I went to work instead and am gone from home till Friday so won't be able to post a pic of the piston till then. :sorry:

Last edited:
S
Jan 15, 2011
Minnesota
New piston, cylinder installed last week. Went to Bergland for the weekend and had no problems what-so-ever in 300+ miles.

Only thing changed was the helix, clutch wts (both back to low altitude) and tightened up the loose ground wire on the right side of the steering support post.

Must've been the loose ground?

Premium Features