• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard to turn Ski's while riding?

S
Finally got to ride my 011 Pro this past weekend. Here's my take on my 163... it goes though the snow unbelieveably well, it needs so little throttle to get moving and to keep going. I rode with Doo guys riding E-tec's, we rode all day in the trees, they would dig huge holes turning through the trees on the inclines, where I could just burp my Pro through a turn around a tree going uphill and barely spin the track, it felt like I could almost stop and then just drive away again. Amazing. Getting the sled on edge, was so fast and quick it was hard to adjust to at first, I would at first tip the sled right over on it's side and fall off. Only concern I had was the steering, it seemed hard and heavy to turn the skis following in a track at slower speeds. All the Doo guys rode my Pro, a couple loved the Pro but all of them said, "how can you ride that thing like that all day, I can't turn the ski's". I rode their E-tec's and they were very easy to turn the skis. Just sitting on the sleds stationary I could turn the Doo ski's but my Pro ski's were like glued to the snow. At the end of the day my triceps were done, still sore two days later. Is there a way to make the Pro ski's turn like the Doo's. It's killin my arms!!!!!!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
How are the rear suspension springs set ?
Stiffer in the front and/or softer in the back will lessen steering pressure.

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
Check rubber boots over tie rods

I had a hard to steer pro and it turned out that one of my rubber boots that cover steering control arm was ripped.
Snow gets packed in there and makes it hard to turn.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
Funny thing is after riding in the pow, eventually the steering feels tough after a while too. I always thought there was some ice build up somewhere but never really got in there to look. Maybe that is all it is. The XP really does have lighter steering.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That's funny, when I switch with my buddy all I can think is ahhhhh power steering! His 11 pro is so much easier to steer than my m8.

D
Oct 17, 2011
Power steering. The first mountain sled that comes with power steering will be the one in my stable. I have said it for years. Not Yamaha
(Ha Ha)

Same with Reverse. I bought the first one on the show room years ago. My buddies all gave me crap about "back up beeper". Now they all have reverse and bitch like crazy if it doesn't work right.

I ride ATV's. Power steering is the greatest thing they have ever done to an ATV.

D

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I would guess the limiter strap is in the middle or upper hole. I think the Pro has 3 holes. Loosen it or essentially lower it to take pressure off the ski's. Adding preload to front shock does some of the same thing. Front/ski springs could be really tight too. That's what I would check though since I have never had an issue with turning my 11.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Are there any "Mods" to your sled...

Aftermarket shocks, aftermarket A-arms , etc?? (or even upgraded Assault "piggyback" shocks)

Or is your 2011 PRO RMK completely stock?

What is your Front-Track-Shock (FTS) preload set at (look at your owners manual if you dont have the answer for this)

What is your Rear track shock (RTS) Preload set at?

Ski shock pre load?

When you lift the front of the sled off the ground... does the steering work smoothly and with little effort?

S
First of all thanks to all the people who posted, all the readers make this forum so awesome. My 163 is completely stock, my preload on all my shocks is set at factory specs, so first thing I need to do is tighten up all my front shocks, track and ski shocks. I will also determine where my limiter strap is set at and check to see if there is any evidence of possible icing up in the steering components. That is what one of my friends said to me when he rode my Pro... "feels like the thing is froze up with ice" I thought he was nuts. We were riding in some deep snow in Fernie B.C. it had snowed about 10 inches in town the night before so there was probably about two feet of fresh where we were riding, over all possibly 6 to 8 feet so the riding was great. But the sled is amazing, I have not been riding in 3 years and before that I rode Doo's like all my friends, I have to adjust my feel on the sled, my touch is to heavy.... like I'm still riding a Doo and it became very evident that you can't or better yet shouldn't ride an Pro like a Doo.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Mine was starting to steer pretty hard too, and i lubed the pivot points at the top (under handlebars) and the one just in front of the engine (by power valves), and that made a huge difference. You might try that and see if that helps you. Just a thought . . .

Cheers!

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
This is common on the Pros. Do a search and you'll see that us 2011 riders found you NEED to crank down on the center shock (1" threads showing) to get pressure off of the stock skis. Personally I'm going to Mods skis so I won't need as much center shock preload. But yeah, been there, done that! Also these don't have adjustable limiter straps (unless these were added for 2012?)!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
S
I just finished reading the post about a rider's impression that his Pro feels to light on it's ski's. Lots of great opinions were voiced and gives me more info to try and fix my set up for my 163. My spring length on my shocks are as this: ski shocks - 8 3/4" FTS - 8 1/8" RTS - 10 3/8". As stated the stock limiter strap is factory set and as such is non-adjustable. The way the sled went through the snow in Fernie was really great, no trenching at all, just a quick burp of the throttle and it was on top of the snow, I guess my question or maybe my problem is I know to free up my heavy hard feel of turning my skis I must preload my front track shock but I don't want to compromise how my Pro goes through the powder. Can I achieve anything by preloading the FTS a little and do a lot more preload on the ski shocks themselves?

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
more preload on the front shocks will make the steering even harder.
Try going less preload on them

Correct. The problem with that is the lame shocks blow thru their travel too quickly then and bottom hard - with NO bottom out bumpers! (WTH was Poo/Walker Evans THINKING?!). The best compromise is to keep them at stock setting (ski shocks and rear shock) and go stiffer on the center shock (front track shock as some call it). Doing so did not seem to promote trenching nor compromise deep snow performance. Wish'd I would have done that sooner last season.

Have FUN!

G MAN

R
Correct. The problem with that is the lame shocks blow thru their travel too quickly then and bottom hard - with NO bottom out bumpers! (WTH was Poo/Walker Evans THINKING?!). The best compromise is to keep them at stock setting (ski shocks and rear shock) and go stiffer on the center shock (front track shock as some call it). Doing so did not seem to promote trenching nor compromise deep snow performance. Wish'd I would have done that sooner last season.

Have FUN!

G MAN

when u say go stiffer on the FTS, how many full turns?
There is a pic that shows preload measurement it's around 1 1/2"-1 5/8"..Just don't wanna put too much preload and get the ski's lifting everytime.

Last edited:
S
Well I guess thats it then, preloading the front track shock is the only way available to try and lighten up the feel of the steering on my 011 Pro. I plan to take both of my Pro's to Sylvan Lake tomorrow to adjust my FTS untill I can get the balance I'm looking for in the handling of the front end. Does anybody out there know what the total available adjustment is for the front track shock? My spring length is right now approx. 8 1/8", is there a point where you have made the spring length compressed too much?

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Well I guess thats it then, preloading the front track shock is the only way available to try and lighten up the feel of the steering on my 011 Pro. I plan to take both of my Pro's to Sylvan Lake tomorrow to adjust my FTS untill I can get the balance I'm looking for in the handling of the front end. Does anybody out there know what the total available adjustment is for the front track shock? My spring length is right now approx. 8 1/8", is there a point where you have made the spring length compressed too much?

Don't go more than 1" of threads showing; that's all she'll need and too much more could cause spring binding. And Rudy - skis won't lift uncontrollably as the limiter strap still prevents this (tho it does have nice transfer now).

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
S
Just got back from the lake, funny thing was both sleds seemed completely normal, I mean they turned like any sled I have rode before, maybe just a bit stiffer but certainly nothing that would make your arms sore at the end of the day. But after riding the 155 and 163 side by side on the lake I can see why it's a difficult choice between the 155 and the 163 especially when they probably want more money for the 163 new. The 155 felt lighter, maybe quicker and little more responsive where the 163 rode heavyer, a tad sluggish but it's a pick em thing, they are different but still the same. Hardly any snow on Sylvan Lake maybe 6 to 8 in that is it. I need to take both of my Pro's to Sicamous and preload that FTS and ride them in some real snow. Anyways these Pro's are the real deal, I think they are the best mountain sled on the snow. Thanks GMAN I will leave about an inch of threads on that front shock and give her!!!!!

Premium Features