• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gotta couple ?s about the polaris 440 race engine

S
May 4, 2009
My buddy just gave me a 440 Engine from a 2004 Pro XR 440 sled for free and it needs a rebuild. it needs the whole top end...i pretty much found everything i need but the cylinders....im goin to college right now and i dont have a ton of money to spend but its my project for school (im in a trade school for mechanics and im in the engine repair section) although i found two cylinders on this site and they are REAL CHEAP! but they are off an 05 IQ 440...i did a little research and tried to crossreference the numbers. for the PRO XR i got 3021304 and the IQ i fot 3021604..so i didnt know what to do...i called the polaris dealer by me and asked them about it..they said that the only thing that they could think of is the mounting for the Y-pipe being different...but then i looked at the part numbers for the head and the base gasket is completely different....what do you guys think i should do...if it fits what should i do about the base gasket? im positive if it works i gotta use the 05 head..but what about the pistons? o and another question i have is do they make any aftermarket heads for the 440..like what RK-TEK makes ...i looked on their site and the only thing they had was a big bore kit for the fusion...if you guys could help me out that would be awsome...thanks
Brandon

B

burndown

Nov 26, 2007
Missoula, MT
The part numbers for the stock heads are different, but I can tell you that they both have the same part number for the low compression (92 octane) kit-part number 2202188. So the heads will bolt on to either set of cylinders. The base gaskets are different part numbers-5812494 for the IQ, 581599 for the pro XR, so I would get the ones for the pro XR so they match your crankcase and if the water jackets or anything else is a little different you will have to go from there. I'm not sure what the difference in the cylinders is, but the pistons are the same between both motors-2202155. Hope this helps and good luck with your schooling.

S
May 4, 2009
The part numbers for the stock heads are different, but I can tell you that they both have the same part number for the low compression (92 octane) kit-part number 2202188. So the heads will bolt on to either set of cylinders. The base gaskets are different part numbers-5812494 for the IQ, 581599 for the pro XR, so I would get the ones for the pro XR so they match your case and if the water jackets or anything else is a little different you will have to go from there. I'm not sure what the difference in the cylinders is, but the pistons are the same between both motors-2202155. Hope this helps and good luck with your schooling.

thank you i really appreciate it....i guess im gunna give it a shot...

Premium Features