• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 M 8000 snopro intermitant loss of power

J
Feb 9, 2018
Hey guys looking for some help with my kids sled . It a 2014 M8000 with 400Mi stock besides a can . Sled will run good for a few minuets then starts to bog and wont rev past 6700ish RPM
This is what I've done and im running out of parts to swap
Pulled and cleaned power valves
Verified power valve actuator is working
Changed fuel pump and fuel tank
Swapped out Seconday clutch
Checked primary clutch
Swapped exhaust
Disconnected Handel bar harness and brake light wiring
Swapped instrument cluster
Changed plugs
Swapped coil packs
Compression is 130-140 both holes
Sled seems to start acting up after i run at half throttle for a bit but doesn't seem to be loading up with fuel / oil
If i let it idle for a bit sometimes it starts working again for a short while
Any help appreciated

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Check the reeds. Iv'e had issues with several 800s eating the reeds and doing similar to what you are describing.

J
Feb 9, 2018
Everyone i talk to says the reeds will cause a bottom end problem ?
Im kinda thinking Stator just looking for some reassurance im going in the right direction .
Anyone replace a stator for this ?

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
400 miles on a stator is fairly uncommon for them to fail. Usually they fail after 1500 miles or so. I have replaced several cat stators starting with a 1993 550, that one lasted 2800 miles, the rest were in the 1600 to 1800 range. Cat has address some of the heat issues with the lay down block compared to 90 degree blocks. My 1000 had 2800 on original stator.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Hey guys looking for some help with my kids sled . It a 2014 M8000 with 400Mi stock besides a can . Sled will run good for a few minuets then starts to bog and wont rev past 6700ish RPM
This is what I've done and im running out of parts to swap
Pulled and cleaned power valves
Verified power valve actuator is working
Changed fuel pump and fuel tank
Swapped out Seconday clutch
Checked primary clutch
Swapped exhaust
Disconnected Handel bar harness and brake light wiring
Swapped instrument cluster
Changed plugs
Swapped coil packs
Compression is 130-140 both holes
Sled seems to start acting up after i run at half throttle for a bit but doesn't seem to be loading up with fuel / oil
If i let it idle for a bit sometimes it starts working again for a short while
Any help appreciated

When you cleaned the exhaust valves did you check cable adjustment? The 6700 rpm is right where the valves need to open, if the cables are adjusted a little long it may be stretching enough when warm to cause this. I would also check reeds with a little camera, just remove the exhaust to have a look.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
reed check will take nothing but time and maybe a few reed gaskets.
you can also take off the hood and tape the throttle open and look into the intake to see if you have a broken reed. I use a 80.00 harbor freight inspection camera

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
sounds like you have a good running m8000 to take parts of, I guess I would see if the changing the stator out is the issue, its a pain especially having to take 2 sleds apart but better than buying a new one only find out its not the issue. Taking a cat flywheel off from my experience with a center bolt puller has never worked, I made my own puller out of plate steel using the recoil as a templet for the bolt hole. The plate steel contacts the housing and you use longer bolts into flywheel, you tighten each bolt a 1/4 turn until it pops, I have ruined 2 center puller type pullers before I tried this method, take much less force to pop it, sound back assworks but it works. Ace hardware will have the longer metric bolts

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
use a 40.00 steering wheel puller and only turn the 3 bolts in by had 5 full turns. the trick I found was to use an impact gun but leave the center bolt about 2 full turns from hand tight this lets the bolt have a little speed and will pop it off almost every time. I have done many of them and only had one I had to apply the hair dryer too for a little heat.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Does the ecu tube have a smoked mark on it?

What can that mean? Mine has a smoked mark about an inch after it comes out of box but issue I am having with mine is same even with a different ECU. I have seen that mark on lots of ECU hoses over the years.

X
Jan 27, 2008
Minnesota
What can that mean? Mine has a smoked mark about an inch after it comes out of box but issue I am having with mine is same even with a different ECU. I have seen that mark on lots of ECU hoses over the years.

Working on a theory. Smoke=fire. Something inside ecu burned up. Had a '14 in our group with running issues, and smoke mark on the inside of the tube. My '12 and a '13 are clear. The 14 got traded so fauq ette.

Premium Features