• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Honest Sidewinder feedback?

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Just as the title implies, curious for some "honest" feedback on people that own/have ridden them. Not someone that spent five minutes on one. Not looking for brand bashing, this thing is heavy, etc, etc.. Yes, it is heavier than a two stroke, yes, Cat does build the chassis. Just want some honest constructive feedback. Handling, turbo lag, any issues.....those kinds of things. Have owned turbo four stroke in the past and love the smooth power. Just haven't heard a lot from current owners. Any feedback would be appreciated. And yes Randy, you can chime in as well even though people would consider you a little bias, I think you're an honest guy that would give his honest opinion. Thanks

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Haven’t ridden my ‘18 yet, but I can say the fit and finish of the SW is night and day better than the Viper. Panels and hood go on so much easier, wiring connectors are actually good connectors, and the 2018’s FINALLY have a drain bolt in the chain case. Although it is a better sled, I still had to do a few things before I’d ride it.
1. Vertical steering off a Viper. Personal preference but feel more comfortable on a steep sidehill with the vertical post than laid back post
2. Running boards. Never have been a fan of factory boards, plus anything to help keep snow out and keep the traction there is a bonus
3. Exhaust/muffpot. I hate cold sandwiches for lunch.

Doesn’t look like I’ll be riding mine anytime soon, but can get back to you with a ride review in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
Just as the title implies, curious for some "honest" feedback on people that own/have ridden them. Not someone that spent five minutes on one. Not looking for brand bashing, this thing is heavy, etc, etc.. Yes, it is heavier than a two stroke, yes, Cat does build the chassis. Just want some honest constructive feedback. Handling, turbo lag, any issues.....those kinds of things. Have owned turbo four stroke in the past and love the smooth power. Just haven't heard a lot from current owners. Any feedback would be appreciated. And yes Randy, you can chime in as well even though people would consider you a little bias, I think you're an honest guy that would give his honest opinion. Thanks

This will be my third turbo Yamaha. Had a 2007 Apex with a 290 kit, then a 2013 Nytro 162 180 kit and now a 2018 Sidewinder 162 LE. So, I've been on heavy pigs you might say.
I only have 60 miles on it but none of it in deep snow, mostly trails breaking it in. Deepest snow was maybe 2ft. We have a snow shortage up here...
My thoughts... We took off down a cut line, no tracks on it. I am amazed how well and easy it is to be able to "throw" it around compared to the nytro. The nytro, I needed more "english" to be able to carve in little snow. On the trail, the power is linear, I found the nytro threw me back harder. Turbo lag...none that I can feel. With the 3" track, definitely run the scratchers, they do run hot. Fit and finish, still not up to Yamaha standards, but at least the electrics are Yammy. Invest in a belly pan, as I have been reading a few guys who aren't running them have found rocks and other gems hidden in the snow that causes chaincases to break.
Hoping to get more seat time soon...

Definitely an aftermarket exhaust, that way you can check and adjust the chain without removing the whole suitcase.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Yes im a bit biased. However I will leave you with this. I have built, rode and sold 15 years worth of Modified Yamaha 4 stroke mountain sleds. Mostly high hp, chassis built hillclimbers that took me to the most amazing terrain British Columbia has to offer. I am on my second year riding a stock Sidewinder and loving it. I have sold my Nypex, Vipex, Viper Mod to replace them all with a second Winder that will get some HP upgrades and 174 as we do get those "days" that a 174 just shines.
In the meantime read what several other western Canadian guys have to say in their own words after spending some time aboard the Sidewinder MTX. Lots of haters in there as well, but I think you can weed out the chaff.
Safe sledding
RS
http://www.snowandmud.com/snowmobile-chat/109630-wicked-day-sidewinder.html

Boosted Brad

Premium Member
Dec 9, 2007
Sidwinder

250 miles on mine so far and it is a hoot has the evolution reflash and exhaust waiting for exit shocks I just hate air shocks but this sled is a keeper! Everyone who has bad a chance to ride it has been impressed with the smooth muscle of the engine.happy with my choice!

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Thanks for the replies. Randy, thanks for the link to that post. Seems like a lot of positive feedback. I don't mind the negatives as long as their constructive. If someone doesn't like something, it is certainly their prerogative to speak their mind, but when it just comes to brand bashing and name calling, you've lost my attention. All the big four have room for improvement, if they didn't, we'd never see anything new. I like the direction that all of the builders are going. Like a lot of folks have said, and I agree, the four stroke power just puts a big smile on your face. My experience has been that the four strokes are better suited for more experienced riders who know how to handle a sled. New riders tend to get more frustrated. I can definitely see myself adding a Sidewinder to the stable. I'm fortunate enough to be able to have a good mix in the trailer. The sled market is tough these days with the lack of snow, and I commend all the manufacturers for their continued commitment to the sport. There are a lot of die hard sledders, me included, that hope I have another thirty years of riding left in me.

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Like Zal said belly pan or skid plate....BUT....Don't go with this Yamaha one or any that have these deep V's built in.. My SW was getting hot...no matter if I was in powder or not nothing helped. Turned sled over and the heat exchanger was iced over. Break ice off cool right down....few miles later hot again. Checked friends Viper no build up. Had LCC check to see if I had blown head gasket as coolant was down a bit and odd getting hot. Figured I was to heavy into the boost during break in. Luckily not the case. Those deep V channels built into the skid plate build up with and hold ice providing a structure for more to build up in front of the heat exchanger. Member COYAMAHA figured it out while we were at the shop. LCC sells flat skid plates, so picked one up. I explained the issue to the parts department where I bought the Yamaha plate and they refunded me even though it had been on the sled.

Winder Skid Plate.jpg

Last edited:
M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
You really need to ride one. Thats the only way to know for sure.. Like Ive said in the past, they are too expensive and the resale is terrible so be sure it is what you want.

I have zero experience with the sidewinder. I own a 2015 Turbo Viper 153x3 soon to have the 36 inch a-arm front end. Sure not exactly a sidewinder but as close as it gets..

If you dont mind working a "little" harder in the trees the sled shines in all other types of riding. I bought a Polaris SKS last year because I thought I was Chris Burandt.. but those days are long gone. I sold it after one winter as I missed the torque and RELIABLE power. It also rode like a horse.. the Viper even with crap floats rode wayyy nicer than the axys. The turbo viper is so much more fun in all other areas of riding..

Anyways.. I could go on for days.. I love my sled, if I knew the sidewinder would be making an appearance I would have waited. All that sled needs is a lower seat and some good coilovers and you are set. But you just need to find one to ride.. and ride it for a day in all types of different areas.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
You really need to ride one. Thats the only way to know for sure.. Like Ive said in the past, they are too expensive and the resale is terrible so be sure it is what you want.

I have zero experience with the sidewinder. I own a 2015 Turbo Viper 153x3 soon to have the 36 inch a-arm front end. Sure not exactly a sidewinder but as close as it gets..

If you dont mind working a "little" harder in the trees the sled shines in all other types of riding. I bought a Polaris SKS last year because I thought I was Chris Burandt.. but those days are long gone. I sold it after one winter as I missed the torque and RELIABLE power. It also rode like a horse.. the Viper even with crap floats rode wayyy nicer than the axys. The turbo viper is so much more fun in all other areas of riding..

Anyways.. I could go on for days.. I love my sled, if I knew the sidewinder would be making an appearance I would have waited. All that sled needs is a lower seat and some good coilovers and you are set. But you just need to find one to ride.. and ride it for a day in all types of different areas.

Thanks for the info. I do have a friend down here that is a Yamaha dealer and does own a Sidewinder, although they haven't sold sleds down here for a long time. Has said I could get some seat time once we get some snow. I understand there are some things about the sled that can be improved on, however, I am willing to spend the money even though I understand the resale is an issue. However, with the longevity of the four stroke, I'm certain I would keep it for at least a few years. Since we don't have a dealer close by, I have done some shopping around and if you don't mind having the sled shipped to you for an extra $500, the dealer I found still makes it worth your while to purchase from them. The Turbo Nytro I had was a lot of fun and yes, it really did shine on the steep. If the handling would have been better, I may have kept it. Even with it being heavier, it was fun to ride. You just had to keep telling yourself it was not an 800 two stroke.

Trukker

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
High River Ab
Well I have not been on a Yammi since 98 and have about 300 miles on the 18 MTX LE and loving it more everytime I ride it . I came off a 14 XM X and honestly don't feel the weight difference . Power is smooth and no lag .Running the CR Exhaust other than that it's stock . Will boondock with ease just need a little more seat time to be comfortable in the trees . Fit an Finish is what I expect but am concerned with drop and rolled chain case so I will be adding some protection . Powder claw track really hooks up . Playing with the suspension but don't feel it wheelies too much either . Things I don't like 1. Key position is awkward to start ,always packed with snow 2. Handle bars warmer switches i'm always hitting them turning them off and on 3. Trying to adjust the QS3 position on the front shocks is hard to get my sausage fingers in there to turn dampening switch . Road bottom less deep first ride out and next 4 rides were 2-4 ft powder . Can't wait to ride it again :)

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Trukker I had same issues with Hand Warmer. They sell a glue on kit that goes around the hand, thumb warmer plus kill switch....no more issues....sorry I don't have any pics. Sound like a broken record, but I got the kit from Lincoln County Customs, seemed pricy for what they are..thinking $20-$25 bucks... But piece of mind makes them worth it.
Would like a firmer bit taller seat. Hope WRP or Skinz come out with one. Had to buy Klim boots to fit footwell and boards, as my ole HMK's were to wide. Not a fan "yet" of the narrow boards.
Yup key position....sucks too.... Had so much fun riding her I forgot about the things that bugged me a bit......

Last edited:

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Lol No typo...I'm 6'1 long legs I guess. My buddy has MCX Nytro with firm, taller WRP seat. Fits perfect. Great quality.

Last edited:
V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Finally got a chance to ride my '18 SW earlier this week.
The sled:
2018 Sidewinder MTX LE 153
Conquer 280 track
MBRP Race Exhaust
Viper MTX Vertical Steering
Cat Pro Mtn Boards
Running av gas with no tune
Skinz Freeride seat

Old sled:
2016 Viper MTX LE 153
Conquer 280
Skinz boards
MPI base kit with electronic boost controller reflashed to 9psi, lightweight exhaust
Headlight delete
Lightweight brake rotor
Skinz Freeride seat

I loved my old sled, took me anywhere I wanted to go and then some. Weight never was an issue, as I was able to find another line 99% of the time to get me where I was wanting to go. It pulled hard, never had an issue with it trenching, and was a great all around sled. I ended up blowing the motor, insurance totalled it and I ordered an '18 SW. Built it pretty similar out of the box, so wasn't expecting to be much different. I was proven wrong very quickly.

The bad:
It's a massive wheelie machine. Came over backwards on me so fast I couldn't react quick enough to step off or shut the sled off. The rollover valve allowed a full quart of oil to go by and shoved it into the breather. Ended up smoking like a freight train for awhile until it all got burnt out of it.

The good:
Everything. The dropped and rolled make this thing climb up out of the snow better than I could have ever imagined. Just about when you think your stuck, you shake it a little bit and it walks right out of the 6ft trench you dug. Throttle response is quick, and I never had any issues getting the sled to respond to my inputs. The lockout feature on the shock works great, I just wish I was able to adjust it on the handlebar instead of having to get off. I ran it in position 2 most of the time, switched it to lock once to see if it worked. Fronts I ran on position 1 the entire time and don't think I'll change anything.

Overall, I love this sled. Works better than I could have imagined, and don't see any desire to add anything else to this sled. No, they're not going to be as light as a carbon fiber two stroke, but the dependability and how easy these are to ride for the everyday Joe, you can't go wrong with buying one.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
we have a SW btx 153 2.25 and its the biggest dog off the line we have ever road! was it the avgas or pipe that made that thing wheelie? we do a lot of boon docking and the sled is hands down a blast and by far {and I mean a far far!} the best riding 4stroke me or my bud have ever road! he docks through the trees with me like its a 500 pound beast! the ergonomics of the sled are beautiful! but it feels weak until you get it going about 25-30mph {when I say weak I mean weak for a 200+ hp sled} then it lights up and gives you more than you are expecting! and the pull seems to want to continue forever. we are working on the clutching now to get that sled to pop off the line and stop eating belts like they are free! we are on the 3ed belt and 330 miles on the sled and clutches get smoking hot to hot to touch. took it to the dealer and every thing is within spec. we have missed out on some spots because the sled couldn't lift the skis over a creak bed or some downed trees {without scary speed to do it} but he goes everywhere my turbo 800 axis assault does no matter how technical the area and vice-verse I can jump on his SW and just go any where I want to point it! we are confident that with clutching we can get the sled to lift the skis off the line and be fully satisfied with the SW so if you are on the fence about grabbing one take it from a guy that rides a turbo 800 assault that has a dry weight of 427 pounds {with all my mods}...that SW is a competitor no matter what your buddy is on and you wont believe me but when you are riding it it doesn't feel heavy until you are going down hill and let off the throttle...it dives a bit. I still cant believe how nice that SW rides!! get you 1 :D

off topic {sorry}vector can you post what clutch components Yamaha put in that MTX LE I would like to see the difference between the 2 thanks!

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I'm a Polaris guy, but ride with a guy that has a 17 sw 162. It works very well I rode it in about 18" -24" of pow. Power was very smooth hardly any lag u can tell it's heavy but pretty manageable. I'm taller than he is so the bars were to low for me, and it had the stock skis Wich sucked in my opinion I would like to try a set of powder pros on it.

If u don't mind the weight I say go for it it runs great and he takes it anywhere we go and on the big hills allot higher and faster than us.

R
Jan 9, 2011
The LOOPS
I really appreciate the honest straight forward feed back here. I’m currently riding a 17-850-154 and it’s time too try a sidewinder. I’m an aggressive rider enjoy big mtns of bc steep tree riding, Just wandering the age old question of 153/162 ? Thanks

Premium Features