• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jacobson roll over valve

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I have one and it does work great!! I don't even carry oil in my pack anymore! Give Bill Jacobson (MTNVIPER) on here and he will take good care of you!

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
OFT racing put one together in conjunction with mtnviper that uses the valve from jacobson and the awesome tether setup from oft. I have the tether setup from oft and it is awesome.

B
Mar 13, 2009
Libby Montana
got one on my s/c phazer and its terrific... it definitely is worth every penny! and Bill is terrific to work with. He is open to any ideas to make the product better. makes riding a fourstroke trouble free.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
Just put our first one on at the shop. Got a few more going on right away. Seems like a great idea, looked at it last season but didn't get around to it. I like to roll my own sled to get it unstuck sometimes so this should work great and stop a mess. Just gotta make sure and wear the tether :face-icon-small-win

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
What are the MCX guys doing on the install, it's tight in there for this and the al vent between the oil res and the bulkhead?

R

robb

Dec 23, 2007
One more ? what happens if this valve sticks shut.

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary

Exactly my concern. How would you know? These parts are seeing moisture. When your done sledding for the day and shut off your machine Im assuming the valve shuts also, leaving as easy place for an ice build up.

Jager Bomb 243

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2009
Deforest Wisconsin
Exactly my concern. How would you know? These parts are seeing moisture. When your done sledding for the day and shut off your machine Im assuming the valve shuts also, leaving as easy place for an ice build up.

The rollover kit that is available in the yamaha 2011 accessories book:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/a...il/5/495/2019/18761/all/1/10465/0/detail.aspx
the valve shuts off when the tether is pulled. when the key is turned off or the kill switch is hit, the vavle stays open. You have to fall off or pull the "rip cord" for it to shut the valve.

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
The rollover kit that is available in the yamaha 2011 accessories book:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/a...il/5/495/2019/18761/all/1/10465/0/detail.aspx
the valve shuts off when the tether is pulled. when the key is turned off or the kill switch is hit, the vavle stays open. You have to fall off or pull the "rip cord" for it to shut the valve.

OK thanks for the info. But are they guaranteed not too fail and stay closed or malfunction close? How would you know until its too late? Thanks

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN

Robb,

Here's a little background information on how the valve functions.

The valve is "normally open", which means that it will vent normally until power is supplied to the valve and then it closes. If the tether is pulled AND the ignition key is on, the valve will close ( preventing oil from leaking out of the oil tank ) and then the LED will flash. The valve is designed so that in the unlikely event a valve sticks closed, tank pressure will force the valve to pop off its seat and vent.

Scott

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com

Edit: ya beat me to it Scott! I'm either to dang slow at typing, or I ramble on to much!

I incorporated several safety feaures when designing the roll-over valve system, for this very concern.

The valve used is a normally open, solenoid type valve. What this means is the valve remains open until voltage is applied to it. The valve is spring loaded to the open position.
The valve remains open while the sled is shut-off and while the engine is running. So for example if there is moisture in the vent line and the sled is outside in freezing weather, the ice could freeze it in open position only. It is a much safer design then using a normally closed valve. Which would freeze in the closed position. Once the engine is started,warm air flowing through the vent line, thaws out the moisture.
I recommend warming the engine up for a few minutes before trying to activate the roll-over valve after it has been sitting out in freezing weather. For example if you want to flip the sled on it's side first thing in the morning, to perform some suspension adjustments etc.

Additionally the valve is installed directionally. The valve has a flat disc that seals against the body when closed. When the valve is installed correctly, with the "short fitting" towards the oil tank. In the un-likely event a valve trys to stick closed, positive oil tank pressure from a running engine will actually force the valve off of it's seat to open and vent. Its the same principle as how a safety pressure relief valve operates.
If the valve is installed in-correctly (backwards), the oposite would be the effect in that positive oil tank pressure could force a sticking valve to lock on to its seat. Not allowing the oil tank to vent. There are instructions in the box with the kit and pic's on my web site show the correct way to install the valve.

There are also electrical safety features as well.
The red flashing LED is wired into the same circuit as the shut-off valve. It will flash anytime anytime voltage is being applied to the valve to close it.
I designed the Roll-over valve system with a LED for two reasons.

First as a warning light, you should never see the LED on/flashing any time the engine is running. If you do, shut the engine off imediately, and investigate the cause. If your out in the back country the entire system can be bypassed by simply un-pluging the plug and play connectors and pluging the kill switch harness back to stock. Or on non-plug and play models remove the fuse and or un-plug the conncetor to the valve.
Second, the LED is a reminder light. For example if I activate the system to roll my sled over to get un-stuck, then flip the sled back upright and deside to take a quick breather. If I look down and see the LED flashing, it tells me that I need to turn the key off!

The tether switch itself is a built-in safety feature as well. It is a dual pole switch and will either be up (tether cord in) or down (cord pulled) and only one set of contacts can have continuity at a time. Either the main contacts will be closed and roll-over contacts will be open. (engine running/valve off, cord in). Or the main contacts will be open and the roll-over contacts closed. (engine off/valve closed, key on tether cord pulled) Not both at the same time!

During the engineering/R+D phase of the Roll-over valve system, I also had a pressure sensor and vacuum/pressure gauge installed on my sled. This was so I could monitor breather vent flow/pressure during real world riding conditions. I wanted to make sure that the valve has the ability to allow for proper air flow.

Bill

Last edited:
Premium Features