• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

T3 Tunnel split from rock

B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
2015 Summit X T3 163, crossed a 5ft wide small creek runout on the trail up but when the skis hit the incline on the other side she spun out a bit & after lifting it up the icy incline noticed all my coolant spewing out on the snow. After removing the clutch cover I saw that my front heat exchanger was caved in & the top portion of tunnel above the drivers under the fuel tank was badly split in 2 places about 3" long each. Has anyone seen or dealt with this & how did you repair the tunnel.

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
Couple of years ago that happened to a buddy on a xp crossing a creek. A rock got caught in the track an took the front heat exchanger out.
Gotta be careful crossing those creeks and water ditches.

B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
Couple of years ago that happened to a buddy on a xp crossing a creek. A rock got caught in the track an took the front heat exchanger out.
Gotta be careful crossing those creeks and water ditches.
Yes, definitely a hazard as I found out! Same thing happened to a guys 17 850 & he needed a new tunnel but he was insured & was down for a month. My dealer has the sled & tear down starts this week where we can asses damage more closely. I'll take some pics.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Does the sled have a skid plate? If not, the coolers are pretty exposed to this sort of damage. A friend of mine hit the bank of a creek crossing and the cooler was removed completely from the sled.

DSC01006.JPG

Buchholz56

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2013
Dayton, MN
My wife's 14 was totaled doing the exact same thing. At first looked like only the cooler and tunnel was damaged but after the dealer started tearing into it found out both rear motor mounts were sheared off and badly damaged. Driveshaft was also bent. Good luck

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Same here...

New tunnel/bulkhead. You know a skid plate prevents that! It overlaps and rocks cannot hook on the exchanger that way. Happened to me on my first ride on my 2011 E-tec. No insurance and the skid plate was in the shop. Just a quick rip Saturday. "I'll get insurance on Monday". FML. I fixed it my self. I just bought the front module and changed the pieces I needed to if I remember correctly. But yours is a little worse than mine was. It did rip the exchanger right out though.

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
New tunnel/bulkhead. You know a skid plate prevents that! It overlaps and rocks cannot hook on the exchanger that way. Happened to me on my first ride on my 2011 E-tec. No insurance and the skid plate was in the shop. Just a quick rip Saturday. "I'll get insurance on Monday". FML. I fixed it my self. I just bought the front module and changed the pieces I needed to if I remember correctly. But yours is a little worse than mine was. It did rip the exchanger right out though.

A skid plate does squat when a rock is sucked up in the track.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
That wasn’t why this happened though! Look how it’s opened up from front to back. Skid plate would have prevented that guaranteed.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
I suppose if the rock was actually in there and pushed down from the top it could do that. But that was not the case for me. Look at the scars on the bulkhead plate.

Premium Features