• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many guys are risking their 850's warranty and boosting

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
I'm coming from a silber 800 axys. This year I have about 200 miles and 15 hours on my bone stock 850 and have a silber kit snowchecked. I'm pretty apprehensive about putting it on. So far I love the sled and think it will be a beast under boost. BUT how many guys are giving up on their warranties and going the turbo route? Have any of your turbo 850's gone down? How many miles and hours do u have on it so far?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I'm coming from a silber 800 axys. This year I have about 200 miles and 15 hours on my bone stock 850 and have a silber kit snowchecked. I'm pretty apprehensive about putting it on. So far I love the sled and think it will be a beast under boost. BUT how many guys are giving up on their warranties and going the turbo route? Have any of your turbo 850's gone down? How many miles and hours do u have on it so far?

I obviously am boosted, and am affiliated with the brand.

None of our test sleds have gone down, none of our athlete's sleds have gone down.

Not to sound like "that guy" but pulling the turbo, going back to stock only takes about 90 minutes. If I go down, that's fully what I plan on doing being the turbo really isn't the issue with bottom end failure.

Honest? Some might say no, but in this case I disagree. They clearly have an issue.

She's a beast on boost. Really fun. Incredibly capable.

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
I have a silber on snowcheck (also sell them) and have a 800 boosted right now. I am planning on putting the turbo on the 850 as soon as I see it arrive, hopefully soon, as all of my sleds head out west for the duration of the winter in 10 days (live in Michigan and fly to them). I know there is definitely an issue with some motors, but I also know the risk that I am taking with my warranty, but then again I plan on sending it off to Indy Specialties of the summer for a 850 A-8 Warthog transplant anyways. With the fact that I fly to my snowmobiles in the winter I want to most dependable motor I can have and i believe Indy’s setup is that solution.

Once you go boost it is hard to go back...

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I obviously am boosted, and am affiliated with the brand.

None of our test sleds have gone down, none of our athlete's sleds have gone down.

Not to sound like "that guy" but pulling the turbo, going back to stock only takes about 90 minutes. If I go down, that's fully what I plan on doing being the turbo really isn't the issue with bottom end failure.

Honest? Some might say no, but in this case I disagree. They clearly have an issue.

She's a beast on boost. Really fun. Incredibly capable.

Flash it back to stock also quick and easy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I'd think the issue with cranks, same as the 800's in the pro rmk's is lack of oil, from the factory it seemed like they ran ~60:1..... to meet emissions, Turn that baby up and probably have no issues after that. I don't know the axy's but I think they went electronic control for the oil injection? Kinda like doo? or???

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
FYI, Polaris can tell if your 850 ECU has been flashed, even if it is flashed back to stock.

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
FYI, Polaris can tell if your 850 ECU has been flashed, even if it is flashed back to stock.

That is good information to have. Thank you.

I personally would never try to remove a turbo on a sled and bring it in on warranty, I wasn’t brought up that way. Honesty is the best policy... Now if this engine issue turns out to be catastrophic and it is deemed a design flaw and Polaris knows it maybe they will warranty the engines either way... the chances are probably along the lines of .00001%, but you never know miracles can happen.

www.cvcustoms.com
Home of the 850 PIDD Power Up Cable

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

First I've heard of this. Source?

I know 100% dealers cannot tell if its been flashed and then flashed back to stock. (i've had them try on my 850 already)

Considering car manufacturers don't even have sophisticated enough ECUs to track changes (source: Cobb Tuning) I find this incredibly unlikely. There is no "black box" or recorder built into the ECU (again, from what we see). Cobb has been at the reflash game in a far more complex world with with a far more capable ECU a lot longer than we at Silber have and this is their findings too with respect to Subaru ECUs (and others).

We see no evidence. Cobb sees no evidence. Happy to post some links if people would like to dive into this further...

EDIT: not making this a guarantee, nor am I saying its impossible, I am saying this is what we've seen. If someone has evidence to the contrary, please let us know!@

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
That is good information to have. Thank you.

I personally would never try to remove a turbo on a sled and bring it in on warranty, I wasn’t brought up that way. Honesty is the best policy... Now if this engine issue turns out to be catastrophic and it is deemed a design flaw and Polaris knows it maybe they will warranty the engines either way... the chances are probably along the lines of .00001%, but you never know miracles can happen.

www.cvcustoms.com

I agree with you to a point. There is a *known* issue that has absolutely nothing to do with a modification. Would you not bring your sled in for warranty if something fell apart on the chassis? If a damper blew up? If a heater element went out?

I 100% agree if there is any question the turbo is to blame, I'll just fix it. But bottom end cranks going out has nothing to do with the turbo. It has everything to do with the "known problem".

Look at Ford. They had a known problem with the Focus RS (love that car). They fixed the problem, modded or not, salvage title or clean title. Across the board. THAT is the right way to go about a problem like Polaris has here.

I was raised to be honest, but also stand up for myself and have some common sense. Not telling you "you are stupid" by any means, just saying, this comes down to perspective, not honesty.

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
I agree with you to a point. There is a *known* issue that has absolutely nothing to do with a modification. Would you not bring your sled in for warranty if something fell apart on the chassis? If a damper blew up? If a heater element went out?

I 100% agree if there is any question the turbo is to blame, I'll just fix it. But bottom end cranks going out has nothing to do with the turbo. It has everything to do with the "known problem".

Look at Ford. They had a known problem with the Focus RS (love that car). They fixed the problem, modded or not, salvage title or clean title. Across the board. THAT is the right way to go about a problem like Polaris has here.

I was raised to be honest, but also stand up for myself and have some common sense. Not telling you "you are stupid" by any means, just saying, this comes down to perspective, not honesty.

I would definitely take the sled in for any warranty issue, with the turbo on, and would expect Polaris to cover anything not related to a motor issue. I also do all of my own work on my sleds. I do not bring it to a dealer for anything unless it turns into something that is hard to track down, need digital wrench or is a electrical issue i cant trace down. Most dealers have no problem getting you the parts and are glad when you say you will do the work for them because they get “free” money for the service work. I also know that turbos do not have much to do with a bottom end failure and might even help it with the extra oil Silber puts to it with the programming, kudos on that!, but I would never EXPECT to get warranty on a engine after a turbo installation that is what i am saying...

It would be interesting to know if anyone that is running a turbo has had any issues so far with motor failures and if Polaris has covered the failure? That is more relative to the initial question in this thread then these past few posts which I know are off track and sorry for that.

So has anyone had issues so far with a engine failure on the 850 with a turbo?

www.cvcustoms.com

Last edited:

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Dallas is a Senior Development Engineer at Polaris

picture.php

picture.php

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008

Stfu. You have 0 real life tuning experience aside from what others have told you. Get in your Ford focus and disappear and come back in ten years. Learn how to tune. You might have some cred then.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Stfu. You have 0 real life tuning experience aside from what others have told you. Disappear and come back in ten years. You might have some cred then.

Leave here? No problem. This is quickly becoming a giant waste of time.

I'm here to discuss ideas, help where I can, give my $0.02. it IS a forum after all. I articulate myself with objectivity, and am also very transparent as to where I'm coming from, what my role is with a company and why I might be a little more biased one way or another.

Go back and read what I wrote, I don't think anything I said was egregious or misinformed. I also asked a sincere question, then countered with what I know, both from my dealer, and from a friend who works at one of the bigger car tuning companies.

Nothing about what I suggested said suggested I am a "master tuner". I am however a guy who works in software development in a completely different industry. I also know how an ECU works.

Either way, I'll happily leave. This is a very small sliver of the snowmobile pie.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Leave here? No problem. This is quickly becoming a giant waste of time.

I'm here to discuss ideas, help where I can, give my $0.02. it IS a forum after all. I articulate myself with objectivity, and am also very transparent as to where I'm coming from, what my role is with a company and why I might be a little more biased one way or another.

Go back and read what I wrote, I don't think anything I said was egregious or misinformed. I also asked a sincere question, then countered with what I know, both from my dealer, and from a friend who works at one of the bigger car tuning companies.

Nothing about what I suggested said suggested I am a "master tuner". I am however a guy who works in software development in a completely different industry. I also know how an ECU works.

Either way, I'll happily leave. This is a very small sliver of the snowmobile pie.
It doesn't matter who you work for or what your job is. That's not the issue.
For me, I am interested in your tuning knowledge and experience.
Unfortunately your info is regurgitated from others and mostly incorrect. The guys who have been in the sled industry for decades can see this.
Many bright eyed, bushy tailed ecm and fuel injection pros have attempted to break in to the turbo sled world. They are all gone now and and turbos are still blubbering.
If you know your way around an ecm, then fix the unfixable blubber and all will be well.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Haha, wow ^^.

Anyways, I'll be boosting one of my 850's, if there is an issue and my dealer thinks it will be covered than sweet. If not, it is what it is. I had the exhaust valves snap last year on my boosted 800 and that was covered by warranty. My dealer and I have a really good relationship and they know that I run boosted sleds so it would be a waste of my time to remove the turbo. Unless they asked me to for pictures.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Stfu. You have 0 real life tuning experience aside from what others have told you. Get in your Ford focus and disappear and come back in ten years. Learn how to tune. You might have some cred then.

Kanedog, what was the purpose of that? We get it, you're the know it all when it comes to everything turbo, even though u dont run one. Clearly u have nothing to add here. Unless you have something relative to my op, please keep your inner voice to yourself. I am looking for people's experiences and thoughts that are going through the same situation I am in. Thank u everyone who as shared their thoughts, I'm pretty sure I am going to install the turbo b4 the next trip.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Kanedog, what was the purpose of that? We get it, you're the know it all when it comes to everything turbo, even though u dont run one. Clearly u have nothing to add here. Unless you have something relative to my op, please keep your inner voice to yourself. I am looking for people's experiences and thoughts that are going through the same situation I am in. Thank u everyone who as shared their thoughts, I'm pretty sure I am going to install the turbo b4 the next trip.
I do run a turbo and I also know when someone is full of it.
I'm trying to help by pointing out bs for you. The guy gave you wrong info about the flash being detected and then he advised you to lie to your dealer if your engine goes. Think about that for a second. If you believe that blubbering turbos and the cvt system are plaguing the turbos, then you and Jj0909 deserve each other. The only companies that are plagued with issues are the ones that have no clue.
I want you to expect perfection and you deserve perfection for the money you spend. You can also choose to settle for subpar performance and then be yet another pisszed off guy with a " used turbo in a box" for sale. It's up to you and your third a-arm this year.

Last edited:

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
If you believe that blubbering turbos and the cvt system are plaguing the turbos, then you and Jj0909 deserve each other. The only companies that are plagued with issues are the ones that have no clue.
I want you to expect perfection and you deserve perfection for the money you spend. You can also choose to settle for subpar performance and then be yet another pisszed off guy with a " used turbo in a box" for sale. It's up to you and your third a-arm this year.

Wow, You just don't quit.. You made my point for me again. What part of this has anything to do with my original post? You live off trolling the polaris forums and stirring the pot. If u cant add to the conversation, stay out of it. Once again, read my original post and if u have anything relevant to add and you can be polite about it, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Premium Features