• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Real 850 Feedback from you guys!

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
Update... I'm now at about 550 miles and I think 25 hours. No issues. Impressed that 90% of the time while warmed up it starts with just one pull unlike the 800's I've had. No need to blip the throttle to start it either. I have had one or two times where I had to hold the throttle wide open on second pull to start it. Seems like that happens if I shut it down right after WOT... Riding around 9,500' to 10,000' with poo 10-66's and she'll hold 8,250 RPM +/-. I'm impressed this new belt is holding up so well performance wise. With 550 mile and pretty hard riding it still performs like new. I haven't had to deal with deflection either. Just gas and oil. A reflash to clean up / lean out the bottom end would be nice. I'd assume we'll see that from Poo.

PS. I've ridden two 800's with SLP Pipe / can set ups back and forth with this 850 and it's surprising the extra lift the 850 has in the deep pow. The 800's seem more snappy to me but they're missing the torque. Anyway...

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Just wanted to add this to my comments earlier. I absolutely love the new 850 and the new front end. BUT, I just wrecked my 3rd lower a arm. One was definitely my fault and any a arm would've snapped. One, I dont know how or when I bent it, and the third one this morning was a skag hit on a rock that I dont believe would've bent my alt impact's that I had on my 16'. These new a arms are as weak as ever. I will, and I recommend to replace them with an aftermarket set of your choice. Bare minimum ,have spares. Everything else about it, I am very happy.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Some say he bought his last clutch from Nordstrom, and that Polaris cut off sponsorship because of his shocking oil consumption. All we know is, he's called the Stig.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Some say he starts his 'sheen with an immaculate touch, and that he invented dangling. All we know is he's called the Stig.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Since starting the thread, things keep moving forward and everyone has provided great feedback.

I just wanted to say "thank you" to all the guys that have posted their real feedback, good and bad and please continue to provide updates as the season rolls on.

I want to continue to have "real life" experiences documented which provides current and future 2019 Axys 850 riders with useful feedback and insight.

So again........."thanks guys" and keep it coming !!!!

Randman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2010
Billings, MT
I am at 95 ish miles and the sled has definitely woke up. Actually, this thing rips. Ride mainly Cooke around 9500' with poo 68's and SLP Blue Pink primary spring runs 8200-8250. Still have my 16 Axys with SLP stage II & Dan's 36" front end and have been riding each back to back in varying terrain... this new 850 is more powerful, not quite as snappy but a real nice linear power curve and the factory Poo front end works better and is easier on the arms and upper body. Very pleased with the sled so far.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Update... I'm now at about 550 miles and I think 25 hours. No issues. Impressed that 90% of the time while warmed up it starts with just one pull unlike the 800's I've had. No need to blip the throttle to start it either. I have had one or two times where I had to hold the throttle wide open on second pull to start it. Seems like that happens if I shut it down right after WOT... Riding around 9,500' to 10,000' with poo 10-66's and she'll hold 8,250 RPM +/-. I'm impressed this new belt is holding up so well performance wise. With 550 mile and pretty hard riding it still performs like new. I haven't had to deal with deflection either. Just gas and oil. A reflash to clean up / lean out the bottom end would be nice. I'd assume we'll see that from Poo.

PS. I've ridden two 800's with SLP Pipe / can set ups back and forth with this 850 and it's surprising the extra lift the 850 has in the deep pow. The 800's seem more snappy to me but they're missing the torque. Anyway...

You didn't ride hard when you were here. You did more hard drinkin......

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
FINALLY . . . got my second ride in on the 850! A longer-than-normal vacation, followed by getting caught up with work, got in the way of my sledding time :)

To say I am impressed, would be the understatement of the day! I am at 7 ish hours and 120 ish miles. This sled absolutely RIPS!! Bone stock, this has SO much more power than the '17 with SLP pipe and can. . .NO comparison. And, i hear it will get even better once I get past the 10 hour mark.

In the trees there were some areas of 2+ feet of powder, just stab the throttle and this sled will pick up the skis and climb like i have not felt since my last turbo sled. The 163 2.6" track is pretty impressive compared to what i remember my last 163 3" was. The belt drive is much more "snappy" on the bottom end than the previous sled with the chaincase as well.

Out of the trees, snow wasn't so great. There was only about 8 inches of powder on a semi-firm base, so i didn't really get to test the new front end against the '17 Axys i had before. But i can say this new one will hold a sidehill like no other, even in less than ideal snow conditions. The CARLS re-valving in the shocks is spot on!

Can't wait to get this beast in some deep powder for a true test of how we like to spend most of our time riding.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I just stopped at Kurt's and looked at my engine sitting on the bench. They have it torn partly down and the case split. Crank is still in the case.

When Polaris sent my engine replacement at the beginning of December, they sent the engine block primed and bled with that light-colored VES oil. It almost looks clear in the oil lines.
This year I have been running the new Polaris Extreme oil, which is red.

Looking at my engine today, sitting on Kurt's bench, all the oil lines are red with Extreme oil. BUT the line that goes to the impeller shaft bearing had no red oil in it. It was still the same VES oil from the factory when they primed it.
That means that the impeller bearing has not been lubed for 220 miles before it locked and stripped the teeth off plastic impeller gear last weekend. They took pics.

At Kurt's, the tech took a syringe and pushed oil into the line and forced out a blockage in the nipple. Don't know what was blocking it. Kurt's guys believe this goes back to factory assembly issues.

Obviously, impeller needs replaced.
Pistons look a little scored so will get a new top end.
Nothing got into the crank. It's a good thing the impeller gear is plastic instead of brass. Brass shavings would have gotten into the crank and caused a hell of a problem. Crank looks fine. Bottom end is safe.

I'm thankful for Curtis Friede and his great dealership, Kurt's Polaris.

Last edited:
C
Jan 12, 2019
Okay guys........

We all have been reading the threads on "potential" issues of the new 850 and of course some failures we have heard of. I don't want to discuss these potential issues or "what if" scenarios. Some will focus on the bad and some will focus on the positive and some......don't give a chit and just want to ride!!

Here's what I thought what we could do with regard to real feedback on the new 850.

So, if you have a new Axys 850, lets start leaving honest feedback here. Not your buddy or "what you heard".....your real feedback and input on your machine.

Miles driven and where, any issues, pros and cons. Just honest feedback on these machines. Feel free to post up more then one comment as you gain more miles and seat time and keep the feedback up to date.

As far as me.........New 850 in the garage....no miles but it does have about 100 garage miles on her!! LOL

Next.........
I have a2019 850 indy cc that I was very excited about because of the fact bought an 18 assault last year that was one of the best most reliable sleds I've owned. Rode the indy for first time loved the new motor, smooth like a4 stroke but was very disappointed with the suspension for the first day. Dialed it in at home and was very surprised the next day how good it was with very small tweaks. Real happy with it for 120 miles and then problems
-140 miles going down the trail at 50, hit the throttle and it stalled. Waited a few seconds and it fired back up, rode rest of day
- got home went to unload it and wouldn't go in reverse just kept stalling.
- got it in my garage next day wouldn't start. Changed plugs still nothing, brought it to the dealer said it was flooded real bad fixed it all set
- brought it home still won't go in reverse noticed center shock adjustment knob broke off. NBC
- went riding today started great went in reverse was running strong 6 miles down the trail hit the throttle and it stalled. Tried to start it motor seized right up can't even move the pull start
279 miles and it's shot. Had to tow back to trailer w my assault.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Our two 850's - Wife's 246 miles and mine 288 miles. No problems to date, sleds are an incredible combination of handling and power. Rode the last 4 days in a variety of conditions including deep no base, 2-3' perfect pow, crust and more.
What a capable mountain sled! We are all fortunate to have such quality mountain sleds to choose from.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I have a2019 850 indy cc that I was very excited about because of the fact bought an 18 assault last year that was one of the best most reliable sleds I've owned. Rode the indy for first time loved the new motor, smooth like a4 stroke but was very disappointed with the suspension for the first day. Dialed it in at home and was very surprised the next day how good it was with very small tweaks. Real happy with it for 120 miles and then problems
-140 miles going down the trail at 50, hit the throttle and it stalled. Waited a few seconds and it fired back up, rode rest of day
- got home went to unload it and wouldn't go in reverse just kept stalling.
- got it in my garage next day wouldn't start. Changed plugs still nothing, brought it to the dealer said it was flooded real bad fixed it all set
- brought it home still won't go in reverse noticed center shock adjustment knob broke off. NBC
- went riding today started great went in reverse was running strong 6 miles down the trail hit the throttle and it stalled. Tried to start it motor seized right up can't even move the pull start
279 miles and it's shot. Had to tow back to trailer w my assault.

Just a pointer, not going into reverse is usually a sign its low on compression.

TeamK

Lifetime Membership
Mar 6, 2016
NE MO
I just got back from riding 11 1/2 days in Wyoming. Sled has 846 miles, 46.9 hrs, 10-66 clutch weights, SLP comp can, original spark plugs, electric start, clicker shocks.

We rode all types of snow conditions the Snowy Range and Sierra Madreas had to offer.

I guess I am lucky, except for the sink hole, this sled performed flawlessly!! I didn't experience the bogging as some have mentioned. All I had to do was add fuel and gold colored ves oil.

I am an average rider. The easy turning, along the ability to get on and stay on edge made me a better rider. This new design has more potential than I am capable of. That being said, if I lived closer and could ride more days in a year, I would probably have the shocks re-valved.

Yes, this sled is skiterish on the trail corners, but it is designed for the powder.
Buy a trail sled if you want to stick to trails.

For the average rider, I feel Polaris has hit a home run with this (out of the box ready to go) 850. Just add fuel, oil and attack the mountain!

sink hole.jpg

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
A new track and different drives would be nice, in wet heavy snow it skips like crazy and half to run the track tighter then spec. Cat and doo tracks are much better. Imo.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Rode tues though Saturday at west Yellowstone. Good snow conditions for what it is they need more. Running 10-64 weights pulled good. The 3 inch track shines in new bottom less powder. Climbing though the trees was effortless. 295 miles and 23 hours. Had to tighten track and still making some shock adjustments getting it dialed. Gas,oil and ride like I stole it. For all these 850s going down didn't see ONE at the end of a rope.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
What r u running for rpm at 8-9k? I'm in Cooke running 68g and getting around 8150 +/- . That's mostly around 8500-9500. Completely stock setup. I'm out of break in now and it picked up a cpl hundred rpm. Snow is poor but the sled rips. Love the new front end. I have around 15 hours and 200 miles on it. Outside of being extremely rich and turdlike for the first cpl hours, I absolutely love it. Havent had a single problem that doesnt involve rocks and a arms. I'm coming from a 16' turbo axys for comparison. Trying to decide whether I bolt on the silber kit when I get home or keep my warranty. - (also the reason the sled is still bone stock with factory clutching)

I have 163 x3 sled will pull 8550 at 8000 ft but mainly ride around 10000ft so that's where I clutched for. For reference the weights are actually 1 gram heavier than stamped. I did not have a turbo to compare to just an alpha, and couple 800 axys. I rode the alpha but would not buy one. My gut feeling in tight trees this 850 will beat a turbo. Straight up it will be interesting test.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
373 miles, 20hrs. Still running absolutely amazing! Still bone stock other than slp comp can. Definitely rich on bottom end, but never fouled a plug yet & starts first pull every time after its warmed up. 2 pulls when cold. Jumped on my 17 Axys again yesterday for a few minutes to compare....850 makes the 800 feel slow, no comparison, 850 pulls harder, faster, and builds ground speed so much faster! (Fyi both sleds are 155 2.6 tracks.) 850 Still pulling 8400 at 8k ft! Blown away at what this sled can do!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have 163 x3 sled will pull 8550 at 8000 ft but mainly ride around 10000ft so that's where I clutched for. For reference the weights are actually 1 gram heavier than stamped. I did not have a turbo to compare to just an alpha, and couple 800 axys. I rode the alpha but would not buy one. My gut feeling in tight trees this 850 will beat a turbo. Straight up it will be interesting test.

I rode my buddy's and it is an awesome sled but it won't touch a turbo. Had my 850 turbo. He got a taste of that today at 9500 feet. Not even close. Both of us thought my alpha had more bottom end. Seat of the pants feel. It could be deceiving because the poo is so smooth and linear down low. It is the mid that it really comes on. I thought they were awesome for sure. I could easily ride one.

Premium Features