• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris 850 demo sleds struggling in Norway.

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I talked to three guys in Boise that rode the sled last week, and all three of them had rave reviews of the sled. They said the motor was incredible and ran very smooth and crisp.
One of the guys had an aftermarket 36" front end on his personal 17 Axys and he said that the new react suspension was much better than his and he was very impressed.
I asked him his thoughts on the monotone shocks that were on the 850 and he said they could use some revalving but he didn't feel that the clickers were worth the extra cash, and he would revalve the mono instead.
All three guys were extremely impressed with the sled

maurfello

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2009
Washington
I talked to three guys in Boise that rode the sled last week, and all three of them had rave reviews of the sled. They said the motor was incredible and ran very smooth and crisp.
One of the guys had an aftermarket 36" front end on his personal 17 Axys and he said that the new react suspension was much better than his and he was very impressed.
I asked him his thoughts on the monotone shocks that were on the 850 and he said they could use some revalving but he didn't feel that the clickers were worth the extra cash, and he would revalve the mono instead.
All three guys were extremely impressed with the sled
Did any of these three guys that had the opportunity to demo the 850 currently ride one of the other brands?

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Did any of these three guys that had the opportunity to demo the 850 currently ride one of the other brands?

All the guys that rode them work at dealerships that sell cat, polaris and ac
No head to head comparison but they did tell me they thought the engine was stronger than doo 850

homeboy

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2003
Chehalis
Test rode a 155 850 with clicker shocks in McCall Idaho Weds Mar 14th
Was impressed with the react front end on 850 I have 18 with Z-bros 36 in front X-1 exit shocks with sway bar out
The 850 with react front and sway bar in was as easy as mine to roll up one one ski and hang out
Power was excellent pulls harder than my 18 with Straight line pipe pulling 66 gram weights and 40st helix
Polaris rep told me it had same primary and secondary springs as my 18 but pulling 68 gram weights and a 42 st helix.....impressive
My good buddy has a 18 850 Doo Summit X 165 that I ride with all winter long and I have ridden his sled a lot His Doo is bone stock and my 18 with pipe runs right with it the two sleds are pretty much equal
I will differently say the 19 850 Polaris I rode in McCall will most likely leave my piped 18 800 Axys behind and will most likely smoke the 850 Doo as well

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
We have been running a couple of them and extremely impressed in every way. Both of these currently have 700-800 miles on them. I have been sharing videos on my Facebook page of me riding them. Here is a live video we did on the mountain with a group of 4 that got to spend a day switching back and forth to for their own opinions based on them own experience. Each of them currently ride 16 or 17 AXYS with aftermarket 36" front ends. I'm happy to answer any questions.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fmattentzsnow%2Fvideos%2F1543402415782427%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
We have been running a couple of them and extremely impressed in every way. Both of these currently have 700-800 miles on them. I have been sharing videos on my Facebook page of me riding them. Here is a live video we did on the mountain with a group of 4 that got to spend a day switching back and forth to for their own opinions based on them own experience. Each of them currently ride 16 or 17 AXYS with aftermarket 36" front ends. I'm happy to answer any questions.

https://www.facebook.com/mattentzsnow/videos/1543402415782427/

Just some questions I have based upon the video and what's been posted on the interweb... Not being sarcastic but you can obviously see the brand of aftermarket arms on the sled front and center but cannot see the sleds in the back. I'm going to go out on a thin limb here and sort of be the ambassador for "all" aftermarket 36" kits. The riders say it's a better all-around feel on the 850, better in every way. You have to assume they are all setup properly as per the manufacturers guidelines? I ask this because I see this alot as in a customer that orders a front end kit, has some issues and calls. After a conversation and then pictures sent we figure out they really weren't properly installed. The list of dids and didn't dos is too lengthy to get into. Long and short is Polaris says "ALL NEW GEOMETRY". Now does this mean they changed camber, caster, spindle position as in forward or back, or did they simply pull them in 3"? Again just asking.

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
The only reason I posted this was to check if this has been an issue anywhere else.

I have no reason to believe that the reports are false, and the sled pictured is in fact an 850 SKS in 146", it comes with the old style front end an spindles, I even posted a direct link to it a few posts back.

It would not be the first time sleds come from the US with maps that just does not work over here, different climate, altitude and maybe emission regulations play a role here?

Anyways, I want this new 850 to be as good as all the ambassadors are telling us, but I wont close my eyes and swipe the card. I had several 2008-2010 800cfi4`s...

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I have personally spoken to 3 guys who rode the 850 in Boise last week who are not employees of a dealership or Polaris. All three of them were very impressed with the sled. Great linear power and great handling. They also compared the 850 head to head against their personal 800s with pipes, clutching, revalved shocks and more. The 850 walked away from their sleds and handled better in all conditions. One of the dealership employees had his very strong running ported and piped 800 at the Boise ride and the stock 850 took it to the woodshed too. So the public has been on the 850 and had rave reviews with zero negatives. They were impressed with the lack of vibration, fit and finish, new shock springs, front end geometry, engine power and torque and so on. I think the detractors above are just trying to deflate the bubble because they are other brand loyal and/or work for other brand dealers or companies. I snowchecked an 850 and I hope to ride one in April.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The only reason I posted this was to check if this has been an issue anywhere else.

I have no reason to believe that the reports are false, and the sled pictured is in fact an 850 SKS in 146", it comes with the old style front end an spindles, I even posted a direct link to it a few posts back.

It would not be the first time sleds come from the US with maps that just does not work over here, different climate, altitude and maybe emission regulations play a role here?

Anyways, I want this new 850 to be as good as all the ambassadors are telling us, but I wont close my eyes and swipe the card. I had several 2008-2010 800cfi4`s..

Thank you for posting this up... good to get different views on the sled. Could very well be true...or not. The sleds that are were shipped over there would not have the same support as the sleds here in the field... our validation sleds that are in the field benefit from a much closer "hands on" by the support crews from Polaris... whereas the ones overseas wouldn't.

Looking forward to the reports from owners of the 840's this time next season from our forum readers here.

This thread brings up some good questions to ask with the release of any new product.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Not true about not getting carried away on the power and torque difference. I owned one of very few 910 strikers that were 935 cc stroked 910s. 25 cc is nothing, right? Well, in real life, the 935 would destroy a 910 with everything else being equal. It packed the skis like a turbo and made the potent 910s of the day seem tame by comparison. Truly the displacement difference of a weed whacked but it translated into huge gains in power. Why, I don’t know but anyone who rode a 910 and a 935 will confirm what I wrote above.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Not true about not getting carried away on the power and torque difference. I owned one of very few 910 strikers that were 935 cc stroked 910s. 25 cc is nothing, right? Well, in real life, the 935 would destroy a 910 with everything else being equal. It packed the skis like a turbo and made the potent 910s of the day seem tame by comparison. Truly the displacement difference of a weed whacked but it translated into huge gains in power. Why, I don’t know but anyone who rode a 910 and a 935 will confirm what I wrote above.

With all else being equal though u say?! I see people posting stock 850 vs stage 2 800 or a 800 with at least some credible mods (other then just a can) and saying 850 walks away.

Now if one wants to say stock 800 vs stock 850 then yeah sure. The one vid I seen of stock v stock was a pretty close one. Just seems like some are getting to carried away. Throwing panties on stage if u will.

I don’t fallow ski doo but how similar are there 800/850’s?

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
You guys........

Take a half a second and read who posted the “weed wacker” post. Non other than “snowmobiler”. Need I say more? If you need a explanation. Just look at a few of his recent posts. Nuff said. You guys take all
This WAY to seriously.

Premium Features