• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11-12' 800 Pro Reliability

11-12' Pro 800 Engine Failure

• Engine Failure - Piston Related (rings, skirt, etc.)

Votes: 74 7.9%
  • Engine Failure - Cylinder Related (cylinder skirt, etc.)

Votes: 60 6.4%
  • Engine Failure - Crank Related

Votes: 63 6.7%
  • No Major Failure - 0-1000 miles

Votes: 365 39.0%
  • No Major Failure - 1000-2500 miles

Votes: 256 27.3%
  • No Major Failure - 2500+ miles

Votes: 119 12.7%

• Total voters

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
As I mentioned before.
2011 800 Pro RMK 155" 1871 miles
2011 800 Pro RMK 163" 883 miles
Our problems with our two stock Pro RMK's now in their second year.
Both sleds leaked oil between the Y-pipe and the exhaust pipe. Permatex Ultra gold fixed that.
One leaky gas cap.
One exhaust temp sensor failed.
One belt.
One vote. :face-icon-small-con

IMG_0279.jpg

D

Dmill

Sep 14, 2009
great falls / snow slip inn
i must have a lemon

last year put on 1800 miles 1 set of injectors
this year put on 500 miles 2 sets of injectors
a fuel pump
an exaust temp sensor
cylinder skirt broke off
still waiting on a shortblock 2 months later

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
i must have a lemon

a fuel pump
an exaust temp sensor
cylinder skirt broke off
No excuse for this happening.
2 months? What a joke! Polaris obviously doesn't care.:face-icon-small-fro:face-icon-small-fro:face-icon-small-fro

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
i must have a lemon

a fuel pump
an exaust temp sensor
cylinder skirt broke off

Dmill, that totally sucks. Waiting 2 months for a short block is BS.

Your experience illustrates another problem. Too many, but not all, Dealer techs inability to troubleshoot running issues. The reliance on digital wrench and the tech line seems to have disabled the troubleshooting/ problem solving abilities of a lot of dealer techs.

Three sets of injectors in 2300 miles? That seems absurd-- wondering what the root cause of the "injector problem" really was-- the pump, or the exh temp sensor. I can't imagine the odds of having four (including the original)different injector sets go bad. Sounds like they were just throwing parts at it.

SpeedWobble

Premium Member
Jul 11, 2001
North Central Washington
Last April, after aprox. 1200 trouble free miles, my '11 Pro developed numerous issues. Sled would not consistantly rev over 6500 rpm, it would die going down hills, guages would periodically go on and off, it would sometimes not start after shutting off until sled cooled for several minutes. Since then have replaced:
-Spark Plugs
-Fuel Filter
-Stator
-All Voltage Regulators
-Throttle Safety Switch
-Injectors
-Pipe Temp Sensor
-Wiring Harness
-Exhaust Valve Solenoid
-Throttle Flipper (Broken Wire To Thumb Warmer)
The TPS has been re-calibrated, but not replaced.
As of today, all problems are cured, except it still won't rev over 6500. I have found that by plugging the hose to the exhaust valve solenoid, I can get it to rev up most times, but not always.
Dealer and I are at wits end!

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
It is really a sad state of affairs when people brag about not having any mechanical failures on a snowmobile with less than 2000 miles. That really demonstrates just how poor snowmobiles are made(all 3 brands)! My god, how much lower can our expectations for longevity and reliability go? Next, people will be bragging that it made it out of the parking lot for the first time when new. :face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-dis

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
Mine has 2500 miles only a set of injectors.
A buddy bought a rental this year with 4000 miles on it when he boughtr it now has close to 5000 and no problems at all!!! Runs just as strong as all the rest!!

J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
It is really a sad state of affairs when people brag about not having any mechanical failures on a snowmobile with less than 2000 miles. That really demonstrates just how poor snowmobiles are made(all 3 brands)! My god, how much lower can our expectations for longevity and reliability go? Next, people will be bragging that it made it out of the parking lot for the first time when new. :face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-dis

No kidding! I had an old big block 700 and a couple of 800s that had 5,000 miles on them when I got rid of them with nothing more than preventive maintenance. New plugs every season, clean the valves every couple thousand miles, add oil and gas and ride. Jesse.

Pol600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
engine poll

2012 Pro RMK 800 miles. `350 miles. I couldn't be more happy with it!

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dmill, that totally sucks. Waiting 2 months for a short block is BS.

Your experience illustrates another problem. Too many, but not all, Dealer techs inability to troubleshoot running issues. The reliance on digital wrench and the tech line seems to have disabled the troubleshooting/ problem solving abilities of a lot of dealer techs.

Three sets of injectors in 2300 miles? That seems absurd-- wondering what the root cause of the "injector problem" really was-- the pump, or the exh temp sensor. I can't imagine the odds of having four (including the original)different injector sets go bad. Sounds like they were just throwing parts at it.

My Cummins went thru 6 injectors in less than 100k so stranger things can happen. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
gotta wonder why do you have to have this poll the pro is the sled to have kinda makes ya wonder do we have a dragon era repeat i have heard of one blowup around here my riding bud just bought one hope they hold up

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
My Cummins went thru 6 injectors in less than 100k so stranger things can happen. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cummins I can understand going through injectors when the stock Dodge filter is 10 micron and the rail requires 3 micron (or better) filtration.

Dmill is talking four sets (8 injectors) in less than 2,000 miles

My point about the pro was that last year every running problem "solution" was to throw injectors at it. Some definitely needed it. But, some were demanding injectors before the sled was even looked at.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
22 failures out of 187 votes so far.:face-icon-small-sad

Well, probably 20. I am sure Fred and Snowmobiler probably had to throw in their 2 cents as well. Always flaws to every poll I guess, but If I was Polaris I would be paying attention.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
22 failures out of 187 votes so far.:face-icon-small-sad

Well, probably 20. I am sure Fred and Snowmobiler probably had to throw in their 2 cents as well. Always flaws to every poll I guess, but If I was Polaris I would be paying attention.
13% failure rate?..I doubt the other brands are fairing much if any better..(and yes 1 failure is too many but its a fact of life).. now..it makes you wonder..if all these sleds had had the oiler turned up when new, as well as a pint of oil in the fuel with every tank..what would the numbers be?I think most of the poo failures could be avoided by simply doing those simple changes along with warming the sled up before ripping on it after every shutoff...

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
13% failure rate?..I doubt the other brands are fairing much if any better..(and yes 1 failure is too many but its a fact of life).. now..it makes you wonder..if all these sleds had had the oiler turned up when new, as well as a pint of oil in the fuel with every tank..what would the numbers be?I think most of the poo failures could be avoided by simply doing those simple changes along with warming the sled up before ripping on it after every shutoff...

Interesting point...I don't know, snowmobiles are a strange beast. If the same failure rate were applied to a different machine (boats, atvs) would it be acceptable? I will be adding more lube to my engine this time around, see how that goes for me. I really don't care all that much, I will never ride a sled without warranty, and Polaris can keep buying me engines as long as I have warranty on that sucker. Until I find one that is more fun to ride, I will be keeping my little machine. It is all about the fun factor for me. I have been towed out a time or two, and I have done some towing. I will say that for the money, I don't think it is too much to ask to get at least 3,000 miles out of one before it need some serious wrenching..

Premium Features