• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

wifes 09 600 etec runs bad and dies

W
Mar 23, 2009
She complained about it running funny last year it always ran fine when I rode it. This year seems to be getting worse. ridding along 5-6000 rpms it starts running bad give it full throttle it runs bad for a second or 2 them takes off and run strong a ever. It has died a few times and would not restart. I pulled a plug wire off and plugged in a spare and grounded. no spark for 2 pulls 3rd pull it sparked then started right up. checked dess cord messed with the kill switch and checked for codes. Has no active P codes. spark plugs look good. checked for wires rubbing on chain case dosent look like they rubbed through outter cover pushed them away so they dont rub. aways use skidoo oil.

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Has it been serviced recently? Could be a result of bad fuel plugging injectors, short somewhere I can't seem to remember from my 600etec but I know 800's the spark plugs need to be indexed to a certain degree when installed (dealer job). Cleaned rave valves? They seem to open up around that exact RPM range. Could be time for a trip to the dealer to have them inspect.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Being a 09 etec I would bet it is one of the ignition coils going bad. There have been a few on here and dootalk that have had this similar problem.

W
Mar 23, 2009
I have service manual couldn't test much with out eletronic interface so I took it to dealer. They say its the EGT sensor. We see how it runs with a new one.

W
Mar 23, 2009
took back to dealer they said voltage reg plug was wet. back on the snow for a ride same problem after around 4 miles. asked dealer if tech tested coils have no answer yet. thinking of getting new coils and tring that. very frustrated with dealer.

Premium Features