• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Member Comments on "Letter to All Members"

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, just to clarify: the proposal is that anyone who is not a member at 'said cutoff date to be decided later' will have to pay $30/year, and current members at 'said cutoff date to be decided later' will be grandfathered in, at as low as $10 per year?
Its nothing nearly that rigid.
When we get to the rollover date, those will be the effective prices. They could last for months or the whole year.
Honestly, that has not been set in stone at this point.

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
$10 is no big deal; some will pay, some won't...whatever.
But, unfortunately for-profit forums rarely succeed.
This is a very risky strategy.
Especially for an admin that seems to be deaf to his users.

But, the false hope of $10 x 36,000users = $360,000/year can make an admin tell management lots of really dazzling stuff.

MD.

Then throw in paid advertising. Not a bad revenue stream.....

In the worst economy in years, another bill to pay.

Pretty disappointing. :mad:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
How do you get to be a moderator? I see moderators saying they will be paying members..... isn't that a little biased and obvious, this post is discussion, doesn't seem like that much whining(except a few posts)

I don't find it biased. First and foremost, I am a REAL person, and member of this 4M. Just because I am a Moderator doesn't mean that I can't see beyond that. I like to read, post, and help out where I can. I wouldn't be volunteering my time if I felt this place and the members weren't worth it. :)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
But, the false hope of $10 x 36,000users = $360,000/year can make an admin tell management lots of really dazzling stuff.
You must be living on another planet if you think anyone here has even considered the possibility that we would get 100% conversion of all past and present members.

Come on, get a life Doo. No one expects that to happen.

R

ryanru

Dec 4, 2007
Whats the deal?

People here spend thousands and thousands on trucks/ sleds/ trailers/ mods/. What does $10's for great info and a great group of people matter.:beer;

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
How do you get to be a moderator? I see moderators saying they will be paying members..... isn't that a little biased and obvious, this post is discussion, doesn't seem like that much whining(except a few posts)
All of the moderators were selected from people that responded to my request asking for volunteers who would be willing to help out. There is a thread on that in this forum.

Hesdale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
You don't find it biased? haha, thats funny. Just letting you know that its biased. I'm just saying that moderators say they love the site and will pay is obvious and they can't say its not biased and, I will most likely pay for this site, it is great and has information worth way more than $10

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
what is the donation though from a membership? 5% 10% 50%??? It makes a difference for me personally.
There is no fixed percentage or amount yet.

Had time permitted, and the forums not been in an uproar, we would have taken another week or two to work out many more details on this plan. As it is, we did the best we could to settle all the ruckus and let everyone know were we are headed.

But there are many details yet to be worked out.

S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
I havent been here for long but in my short time i have learned quite alot.I find it funny that some people will go out and spend 12,000 on a sled but they get all butt hurt if they have to spend 10 bucks for a site that they could learn almost anthing about asnowmobile on and find good people and deals..Ill pay the fee no prob.:beer;

X

x-guy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 12, 2007
Vancouver, BC
There is no fixed percentage or amount yet.

Had time permitted, and the forums not been in an uproar, we would have taken another week or two to work out many more details on this plan. As it is, we did the best we could to settle all the ruckus and let everyone know were we are headed.

But there are many details yet to be worked out.

Thanks for your honesty, I will take a wait and see approach until the numbers are released, but I do hope you see the fact that people are going to have a problem with the fee, not because its $10, but because snowest is taking $10 to pass along information provided from others who do it for free. I have no problem with this to pay off equipment, or even a slight profit mind you, but if this was to turn into a considerable source of income, I would hope Harris Publishing would use that income to better the sport for all of us, and not line their pockets, because like you said, we are all responsible for making this forum great, without the members, the forums would be nothing.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
People here spend thousands and thousands on trucks/ sleds/ trailers/ mods/. What does $10's for great info and a great group of people matter.:beer;

That great info you talk about is info that "US" the users provided for FREE, and now snowest is gonna charge "YOU" to read it, and you seem to be happy about it?:confused: I love snowest but all this "change" is a bad idea. The old way worked fine for the majority of the users. "Change" kinda sounds familiar doesn't it.:rolleyes:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
You don't find it biased? haha, thats funny. Just letting you know that its biased. I'm just saying that moderators say they love the site and will pay is obvious and they can't say its not biased and, I will most likely pay for this site, it is great and has information worth way more than $10

You are entitled to YOUR opinion......mine is just not the same as yours. :) I value the friendships I've made on here FAR too much to just say I support something, if I didn't really believe in it. Having your name in red letters, which automatically paints a target on your back, isn't a good enough reason to donate my time anywhere. It's about a whole lot more than that. :beer;

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Hope and Change? ...and taxes.

Where have we heard that before?

obama_barack_cigarette_a.jpg

Hesdale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
catwomen...please google biased, and I am not disagreeing with the fact that snowest is a great forum and you can learn countless things and meet great people

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for your honesty, I will take a wait and see approach until the numbers are released, but I do hope you see the fact that people are going to have a problem with the fee, not because its $10, but because snowest is taking $10 to pass along information provided from others who do it for free. I have no problem with this to pay off equipment, or even a slight profit mind you, but if this was to turn into a considerable source of income, I would hope Harris Publishing would use that income to better the sport for all of us, and not line their pockets, because like you said, we are all responsible for making this forum great, without the members, the forums would be nothing.

And I believe that right there sums up why most people are outraged. I for one will take a wait and see to figure out whether or not I will continue on.

I'd like to see a "multi-user" discount maybe? So if you purchase a print subscription, could we maybe be offered 6.00/year vs. online only at 12.00/year? Just putting ideas out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features