• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Doo -2, Poo +1

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Group I rode w today, 1 was 18 doo 850, other was 19 850. 18 didnt get out of parking lot. Comp issue w key recognitiom (dumb). 19 we had to tow back as it just quit running. Was a good day for team Polaris.

Last edited:

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Agreed, but im the sole polaris out of a group of 8, so I had to get some satisfaction. Everyone went home safe so there’s that.. weird issues tho w their sleds.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
WTF does "Comp issue w key recognitiom (dumb)." mean? Or do you know?
Three more 850 Poos went down in my group today. Not going to elaborate for political reasons. Owners can post if they want.....

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
WTF does "Comp issue w key recognitiom (dumb)." mean? Or do you know?
Three more 850 Poos went down in my group today. Not going to elaborate for political reasons. Owners can post if they want.....

So the key has a chip in it and the computer recognizes it once it sits on the lil dipstick round base.. so either the chip failed or the base failed. We literally took it out of trailer, warmed up then shut off, got rest of gear on and it wouldnt start. It gave a readout saying key communication error.. wtf isnt that disabled tho.. had we been 20 miles out, this would have been a bitch.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Group I rode w today, 1 was 18 doo 850, other was 19 850. 18 didnt get out of parking lot. Comp issue w key recognitiom (dumb). 19 we had to tow back as it just quit running. Was a good day for team Polaris.

Karma is a bit$&. With this post you've pretty much guaranteed a ride out at the back end of a tow rope by the end of the season.

Last edited:

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
rode this past week with an 850 doo that went down. i'm told the crank went out. 3 polaris 850s that didn't go down in the group.

D
Dec 2, 2012
Quahog
So the key has a chip in it and the computer recognizes it once it sits on the lil dipstick round base.. so either the chip failed or the base failed. We literally took it out of trailer, warmed up then shut off, got rest of gear on and it wouldnt start. It gave a readout saying key communication error.. wtf isnt that disabled tho.. had we been 20 miles out, this would have been a bitch.
I had to pull a guy out of the woods when the same thing happened. Brand new renegade shut it down and no start. 20 mile tow for my sled and then a 2 hour haul to the dealer to salvage the weekend. Impressive dealer though. Came down to the shop on a Saturday to program the new key. Any brand can give troubles but it is the good service of the dealer that makes it worth while buying a new machine. All the brand bashing that goes on does not get any one any where. I feel like defending polaris too because I have had 4 new poos in the last 8 years and not one has ever had to be taken to the dealer. If a guy did not read the negativity on here I sure wouldn't know the 850 is a pos cause mine runs perfect.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
What a bummer. If the keys suck that bad then they should issue 2 with each sled. But IMO it should be programmed out. I cant think of any single reason why its needed. Dont want sled rode off with, take key out. Pretty simple.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
The "key" just has a unique simple code that's read and verified by the ECU. No chip, etc. Multiple keys can be programmed into the ECU. A single tether key can be programmed into an unlimited number of sleds. But no doo owner should have just one key for a sled - you're just asking to ruin someone else's day - and if you own 2, 3, 4 doos, e.g., have at least an extra tether programmed into all the ECUs, so the extra can start any sled in your fleet. They do get lost, chewed up, etc.

Doo has had connection issues since the first gen DESS, same with gen 2 DESS - lots of jacking around with them sometimes helps. But, there is zero, nada, no way around them. Bad connection, you're not moving.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I've always thought the programmed tether of the Doo was a stupid idea. Why add one more area a sled can have problems.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Exactly. The PIDD has a security feature that I had disabled from day 1. Hey everyone its an avalanche, get out of the way.. hold on fellers, gotta punch in this code after it boots up in order to start it...

No thanx..

D
Dec 2, 2012
Quahog
Sorry I stated the sled would not start which is not correct. It would start it would just not move because it is in limp mode without the proper tether.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
The "key" just has a unique simple code that's read and verified by the ECU. No chip, etc. Multiple keys can be programmed into the ECU. A single tether key can be programmed into an unlimited number of sleds. But no doo owner should have just one key for a sled - you're just asking to ruin someone else's day - and if you own 2, 3, 4 doos, e.g., have at least an extra tether programmed into all the ECUs, so the extra can start any sled in your fleet. They do get lost, chewed up, etc.

Doo has had connection issues since the first gen DESS, same with gen 2 DESS - lots of jacking around with them sometimes helps. But, there is zero, nada, no way around them. Bad connection, you're not moving.

My 05 Doo motored Axys has no DESS tether. It was programmed out and left with a Normal tether like a CAT or Polaris.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011

Always do the same thing with my sleds. I have tried to get all the guys in my group on the same key but they aren’t easy to get to comply lol.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
So people cant just go up to a sled and easily defeat the tether and ride away. Even with a key you can jam a screw driver in it.

For decades, AC had two key profiles. Then they went to five. Poo has/had five. And you can also just unplug the switch to defeat it, of course.

Premium Features