• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Auxiliary Light for night riding

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
I got introduced to night (evening) riding last year and really enjoy it. The wind dies down and it is really peaceful, making you feel one with the mountain. The lights I find really bring the lines you are picking into focus. We will camp in the mountains later in the season and go for a ride after supper.

Can someone explain, with pics if available, how to hook up an auxiliary light. I don't have electric start, but I think there must be a way I could splice into the headlight wiring. I have a good helmet light already, but would like to add a light bar or round LED light like Cyclops sells onto my handlebars.

Thanks.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I prefer a helmet light for night riding. That way you can illuminate where you are looking vs where the sled is pointed. Most of the time I find the sled lights are pointed to high because of front end lift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Welcome to the fun of night riding! definately an adventure that is hard to beat.

I run a frankensled helmet light in combo with my stock headlights. the sled lights throw off a nice broad light so it generally illuminates a lot and then the focused beam pointed where I am looking allows me to keep where I want to go lit up.

Ive considered what you are talking about. a Small pod could easily be powered off the DC power port. Although you dont want to go too overboard as there is limited extra power available.

I have also run a rigid dually LED setup powered off 18v makita batteries. Take an old drill that was worn out and just cut the bottom off and wire the led into the base and then you can quick change batteries. Each battery is good for around 3 hours with a 3k lumen light. Then no worry on strain on the sled.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I’ve used off road rider on SW, the guy who makes the Cyclops helmet lights for LED light bars on my sleds. Both as a primary and secondary light. He has nice quality solutions and lots of insight for night riding.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I use the old cyclops adventure led light on my helmet, really happy with it. I dont think they sell it anymore but they have some other options at a little more expense now.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
I am actually going to switch out my helmet light for a Cyclops that mounts on the chin protector of your helmet. https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/snowmobile-lights-helmet-mount.html. These lights get good reviews. I found the helmet top style would sometimes tilt on impacts and get knocked by branches. Then it is a bit of a pain to stop and readjust.

The auxiliary light on the sled would be for towing the skimmer on the ride in or out. Usually around 60km one way and doing it in the dark. I'd like more light without draining my helmet light batteries for this. Plus I like to go on solo rides out from my farm and tear up the fields, ditches and crown land hillsides.

Premium Features