• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

avalanche class

A
yes thats right we will be having an avalanche class in marshfield!!!!!!! tell your friends and come on down... meet some new friends and share some stories...i will post up the date when it gets closer... i know it will be in november
thanks arctic426

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
If its alright with you I am going to make this a sticky so it stays at the top of the forum. Any further dates can be updated in this thread as well.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin Avalanche classes

Four Hour Avalanche Classes
Specifically for snowmobilers​

Avalanche classes coming to your area.

Classes are effective, proven and affordable.

Learn: How to avoid the most deadly mistakes, what equipment works best, how to rescue effectively, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, analyze stability, survive the night out and increase your skills in the mountains.

All participants
receive a discount on avalanche gear.

Cost$49. Must sign up in advance, limited space.

Take the class with those you ride with.

Four hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class.​

Instructor: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader/avalanche mission coordinator Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding, AVPRO. Mountain Snowmobiler for 20 years. Member American Avalanche Association. Trained by BCA, Snowpulse, and Ortovox.

Course content:
-Introduction to avalanches, statistics, contributing factors.
-Avalanche reports.
-Signs of instability/stability analysis.
-Equipment.
-What to carry and what works best.
-Avalanche beacons.
-Fast and effective single and multiple burial searches.
-Rescue
-Avalanche survival methods
-Deploying avalanche airbag packs
-Effective hasty search techniques.
-Mistakes in rescue.
-Group Dynamics/heuristics.
-Slide show: Terrain Evaluation/terrain traps.
-Preparing for your trip.
-What to do if lost or injured.
-Stability tests.
-Scenarios.
What students have to say about the class:
Great class! Mike is a solid instructor and teaches it from a sledder's point of view. DON'T MISS THIS even if you think you are knowledgeable and prepared. Switchback
Best $45 I have ever spent! Great job Mike!!! Flatlander_99

Schedule Fall 2010:

Illinois:
October 14 Chicago
location: East of O’Hare at Tooling and Manufacturing Assoc (TMA). 1177 S. Dee Rd Park Ridge, IL 60068
Time: 6pm-10pm Thursday

Wisconsin:
October 16th Milwaukee
Location: Snowmobile USA Show and Sale. Wisconsin Expo Center at State Fair Park. 8100 W. Greenfield Ave Milwaukee, WI 53214 (Room 4 upstairs, use stairs at main entrance)
Time: 1:00pm-5:00pm Saturday.
November 17th Marshfield
location: V&H Trucks Training Center 1505 S. Central Ave Marshfield, WI 54449
Time: 6-10pm Wednesday
November 18th Madison
location: Engelhart Center. 1589 Greenway Cross Madison, WI 53713 www.engelhart.com
Time: 6:00pm-10:00pm Thursday

Take the class with your riding partners.

On the snow rescue classes in CO, WY, MN and WI​
(starting in December. Prerequisite is 4 hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class).
Details will be posted on:​
Avalanche1.com

If you want a class in your area, please contact:

Mike Duffy 970-390-9433 Eagle, Colorado
Email: duffyww1@aol.com

Last edited:
T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
Whats with the 2 classes on the 17th & 18th of November? You do realize that's opening weekend of deer hunting don't you?
That's kindof a big deal around here.

I really was hoping to get trained this year since I've been riding out west a couple years now, but it isn't gonna happen that weekend.
Unfortunately, the other WI date, Oct 16th I'm gonna be out of the state.

doodah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Fremont Wisconsin
Like said above deer hunting and in the middle of the week. And the one in milwaikee we will probably be knee deep harvesting. our group needs to get to one of these classes!

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Sorry about the class conflicting with deer season. It's one night out of the week that could make a huge difference in someone surviving an avalanche or preventing someone from getting caught. Mike Duffy

www.avalanche1.com

M
Jun 15, 2009
Marshfield, WI.
dude its dark by 6 pm and 10 is plenty early to go to bet for the day break wake up .....cant shoot deer in the dark ..or at least i wouldnt talk about it if you do the wi dnr will take away your b-day for that one ..

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Still some room in the Milwaukee class this weekend if anyone is interested. Sign up at the show at Engelhart booth or email: duffyww1@aol.com

Be ready for the season. Students have saved lives from taking the class.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Thanks to all those who attended the class in Milwaukee. Great meeting all of you. Working on dates for the on-the-snow rescue class at Grand Geneva. Mike

Sumac Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2009
Central Wisconsin
Avy Class in Marshfield

Class in Marshfield is right around the corner, Wed 17th of Nov. 6 to 10pm at V&H Heavy Trucks Training Center, $49. Sled Show & Socializing from 4 till 6pm before class. Guest apperance from our local Klim Rep before class. Sign up for class with Dan McGiveron, send an email to d.mcgiveron@vhtrucks or 715-897-0343. Bring your Iron & stay for the Class.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I highly recommend that all God-Fearing, Deer Killing, Packer Backing, Cheeselanders who plan to drive out West to ride this season getcherasses into one of Mike's classes. I am not in any way affiliated.

Take my word for it, grew up riding in WI. Moved West and have been riding in the Mtns for a handfull of seasons now. Most of the crew I ride with have been through Mr. Duffy's class more than once. (twice so far for me) I still managed to make some mistakes and get myself into an Avy a couple years back. Was very lucky and rode out of it, but had I not been able to the guys I was with were trained well and knew what to do to save my dumb arse...
Sledding out West is mostly a team sport.

Think of it this way:

It is like hunter's safety... and you and your riding buddies are the 12 year old city kids who just got shiny new 30:06's and a bucket of ammunition.

Get the training, get the gear, then get to having fun!

Last edited:
W
Feb 26, 2012
racine,wi.
I attended mr.duffy's class last night,i have to say i left the class with a whole new respect for out west riding and the people that ride that terrain,for those who have not takin this class and you have the oppportunity to do so "DO IT". Thank you very much Mike Duffy for a well presented education on what us midwest riders have no education about,i will definitely be able to go ride out west with a bagfull of knowledge and be more well equipt. thank you again Mike and thank you Rob of Rob's performance for being a great host

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Last classes before Christmas.

Effective, Affordable, and Proven Avalanche Classes
Learn

How to avoid the most common mistakes
What equipment works best
Human factors involved in incidents
How to rescue effectively
To increase your chance of surviving an avalanche
To avoid terrain traps and runout zones
To recognize trigger points and avalanche prone slopes
To analyze stability
Survival skills in the mountains
Group dynamics that save lives
What to do if lost or injured

Discounts on avalanche gear for all participants.

Quick schedule:

Only a few classes left before Christmas.

Marshfield, WI December 18, 2012 Power Pac Equipment. 6 pm. Call 800-232-0293 or motomen352@hotmail.com
Monticello, MN December 19, 2012 Moon Motorsports. 6 pm. Call 763-295-2920 or shane@moonmotorsports.com
Cannon Falls, MN December 20, 2012 Cannon Powersports. 6pm Call 507-263-4532 or aaron@cannonpower.com
Stillwater, MN December 21, 2012 Century Powersports. 6pm Call 888-687-1687 or kory@centurypower.com

Hopefully there's a class near you. Discount on avalanche gear for all participants and special western lodging deals. Hope to see you there. Take the class with your riding partners.

More classes listed on the schedule page at www.avalanche1.com

Mike Duffy
Avalanche1.com
Avalanche education for mountain riders.

Premium Features