• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPI 911 Response Clutch Cover

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
just wondered if any one has used one and what their thoughts were on them? seems like a good deal minus the weight, I just worry about how long I got before a rebuild on the primary is a must and I like that it can adjust the sheave clearance as the belt wears or if I choose to get a different belt without opening the clutch up. and well 250% more bushing wouldn't hurt ether! 911 Response Clutch Cover

$249.95

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
imo they are a waste of money ,they came out as a solution to cats crappy clutches ,polaris clutching works so no need for this product

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
<!----><li class="breadcrumbs-item" data-hook="breadcrumbs-item" ng-repeat="item in $ctrl.items track by $index"> Home <!----><li class="breadcrumbs-item" data-hook="breadcrumbs-item" ng-repeat="item in $ctrl.items track by $index"> TRU-SHIFT PRIMARY COVER <!----> <!----> <!----> <!----> <!----> <!---->
<main-media product="galleryVM.product" data-hook="main-media" image-ratio="galleryVM.getMainImageRatio()" zoom="galleryVM.zoom" selected-index="galleryVM.selectedIndex" swipe-to-scroll="galleryVM.swipeToScroll" image-mode="galleryVM.settings.gallery.imageMode" navigation-type="galleryVM.getNavigationType()" is-selected-video-played="galleryVM.isSelectedVideoPlayed" image-loaded="galleryVM.heroImageLoaded()"><!----><slick class="main-media-carousel image-mode-crop slick-initialized slick-slider" style="display: block;" data-hook="product-page-media-item" ng-if="mainMediaVM.product.media.length" ng-class="[mainMediaVM.getImageModeClass()]" slick-tabindex=".none" slides-to-show="1" slides-to-scroll="1" infinite="false" speed="400" accessibility="false" settings="mainMediaVM.slickOptions"> <!----> <!---->

<!----> <!---->
<!---->//snowest.com/forum/<!----> <!---->
<!---->

<!----> <!---->

<!----><!----><!----> </slick><!----> <!----> <!----><!---->
</main-media> <!----> <!----> <slick class="thumbnails-carousel slick-carousel slick-initialized slick-slider" style="width: 180px; display: block;" data-hook="product-page-thumbnails" slick-tabindex=".thumbnails-trigger" slides-to-show="7" slides-to-scroll="1" infinite="false" speed="400" accessibility="false" settings="thumbnailsVM.slickOptions" ng-keydown="thumbnailsVM.keydown($event)" swipe="false" swipe-to-slide="false" focus-on-select="true" arrows="false"><!----> <button tabindex="0" class="thumbnails-trigger" data-hook="product-page-thumbnails-trigger" ng-click="thumbnailsVM.setSelected($index)"><!---->
a9a8d9_e75cfb12ed4143bda5b25ee98f5d541d~mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.jpg
</button>
<button tabindex="0" class="thumbnails-trigger" data-hook="product-page-thumbnails-trigger" ng-click="thumbnailsVM.setSelected($index)"><!---->
a9a8d9_9f6d82f586b14117b33c0d355d986822~mv2.jpg
</button>
<button tabindex="0" class="thumbnails-trigger" data-hook="product-page-thumbnails-trigger" ng-click="thumbnailsVM.setSelected($index)"><!---->
a9a8d9_bd5e5cfb663b4f3495c27f3e597793f4~mv2.jpg
</button>

<!----><!----><!----> </slick><!---->
<!---->
</product-gallery>
<!----><section class="description" data-hook="product-page-description" ng-if="descriptionVM.description">
AVAILABLE IN BARE BILLET ALUMINUM OR BLACK ANODIZED
***ANY CUSTOM LETTERING IS FREE UNTIL INVENTORY RUNS OUT***

The indy specialty TRU-SHIFT billet primary cover was born out of the need for something stronger and more reliable. Crafted for high horse power sleds but a great addition to any polaris primary clutch.
The full circle cover adds strength to keep the clutch towers from flexing, the window design improves air flow for decreased clutch temeratures and the longer bushing improves shifting and lasts longer than a stock bushing. Our cover bushing is also very easy to change compared to the stock bushing that needs to be pressed out. By removing the six bolts anyone is able to change the bushing on our cover with nothing more than an allen wrench!!

some one on the other half of these forums made mention that indy was making something similar. it looks nice.. the norm for dan but it does look like he's using a traditional type bushing just bigger and the part as a whole looks lighter! just wanted to put this out their beacus they are simular and someone might have tried 1 over the other. first i have heard of another cap like this besides the 911s are their others? has any one tried dans?
</pre>
<!---->
</section><!----></product-description>

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
External adjustment; a fix to a non-exsistant problem with proper clutching

The issue with externally adjusting belt to sheeve clearance is; it messes with all the other variables in the clutch.

Utilizing an external adjustment will change the Spring Force as well as where the weight contacts the roller. So while you may get the belt to sheeve correct, IMO it changes everything else in a counterproductive way. If you're not picky about your clutching / performance then it may be a good fit for you. It will cause most to chase their tail and is not worth the hassle. If you got a machine that eats belts bad enough to really use the external adjustment you got far bigger issues to rein in and get under control than "Deflection".

In my opinion the best Value is the; ZRP cover
Ibexx also makes one that is similar and slightly lighter but the quality of the machining is a little rough IMO and probably is 6061-T6 which is a fair margin weaker (than the 7075-T6 of the ZRP cover) and due to the Ibexx tri-lobe design will flex far more than it should, which will result in binding and premature wear.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
the only other clutch cover that addressed what I was originally looking for was indy dans as he was the only other one that increased the cap bushing size! all of the covers help to make the towers hold together in a more ridged fashion but don't address the other problems of these clutches. all do a good job by adding strength to them witch we need but I was trying to increase the over all life be for a rebuild is needed also!
I understand what you are saying about how it can effect things but I don't think the few MM that we might need to adjust on sheave clearance will have much if any adverse effect. we all set belt deflection constantly or at least those of us who are picky about our clutching but just deal with the sheave clearance getting worse and worse until we blow the belt or just toss it. most of us set the sheave to our kits or factory specks to start because it can make a big difference. the sheave clearance is just the other half of belt deflection IMO. and would be nice to adjust it with the deflection. I can understand how if it was off from the start and we just used the adjuster to make it right it might move everything enough to start having adverse effects but it should be set correct from the start and work a few MM in from their to avoid it getting wonky... again just my thoughts but every one I have talked to said they love them and just keep taking them off their last sled and putting them on the new one but then again I only talked to 2 people that have used them but nether has mentioned this problem? <!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
progress.gif

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Dans cover is slightly heavier than a stock. The added strength keeps it from flexing under load. Also the quick change bushing is super nice but I have had zero issues with the different bushing as well. Holding up very well.

As said, the ZRP can flex causing bind as well..

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I guess I have no evidence (Proof), and the "As said" portion was miss print from not reading the previous post correctly. There has been cases where the cover actually flexed enough to bind, Not only ZRP. Would be pretty hard to show proof other than the clutch issues went away from replacing said cover. Possible it was something else? Sure. Some shops feel the clutch cover is not the correct place to loose all that weight. Obviously others do, I personal have never seen or heard of a major difference between the covers, in throttle response anyways. It does change the weight needed to achieve desired RPM though. The ZRP cover that I run with me seem to be doing great, No issues. Of course the one main one was balanced by Dan so I am sure that helps for vibration.

I love how well my bushing is holding up over anothers I have seen in my IS cover.

Maybe the facts of been lost over the last couple years between what brand it actual was, I was not aware of another brand that looked like ZRP. :face-icon-small-con

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
yea icr it can, just look at it on the extreme end of things....if you made a full clutch out of carbon fiber it would be supper light spool really quick {all most like it hade no clutch on it} and would need heavier weights to keep the rpms down. on the other end, if the clutch was made of led or gold :) it would spool slow and sluggish and have a hard time hitting max rps and need lighter weights to achieve it. I don't know if the caps are heavy or light enough to cause this on either end {over or under tacking} but im sure you can see the concept behind it. fulcrum from the center of the clutch also plays a part in all of this but the formula for a set weight to a set dissents off of center.... well that's just well beyond my pea brain :D
to the best of my knowledge these clutches have ben the same basic blueprint since the early 2000 when the 800s were putting out 120-130 hp {as far as I know all they changed form the earlier models pre 2000 was a bigger cap bushing in the 800 only} now I am not talking about wider slots for the bigger twin weights or sheave angles ect. ect. just looking at the structural integrity of it. now we have 160 hp stock and we are on 200+ hp with the same basic clutches that were failing back then to! I am not suggesting that some of these covers don't work perfect as I have not tried any of them but just trying to show you why I am leery of a "lighter than stock" clutch cover that says they are just as strong or stronger than stock when the stock cover was insufficient for a 20 year old 120-130hp stock sled.. more so for the new 800 160 hp sleds and even MORE so for a turbo 800 pushing 200+ hp. all im trying to say is some things are better off being heaver and a lot stronger than a little lighter and a little bit stronger. stronger is better! but the real question to ask your self is, is it strong enough to hold up and last to the abusive way I ride...their is no 1 answer as maybe you ride sooooo mellow that you can get 3000-4000 miles out of your primary never touching them before a rebuild where im lucky to get 1000-1500 on mine cleaning them every time I get home!
and no I am not implying that you ride like a sissy :D just an example!

I
Nov 26, 2007
yea icr it can, just look at it on the extreme end of things....if you made a full clutch out of carbon fiber it would be supper light spool really quick {all most like it hade no clutch on it} and would need heavier weights to keep the rpms down.

I agree the weight of the clutch cover affects how fast it can rev, that’s the point of putting a lighter cover on. I don’t see how the weight of the clutch affects max rpm. Like you said, rpm is controlled by the weights (and spring).

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I dont recall having to add weight after removing 1.25+lbs off my primary. Easier comparison is the lightweight crank (2.5lbs lighter), anyone do only that change and see any top end rpm changes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
how do you not see how the weight of the clutch effects the max rpm not just the spool time? if you remove 1 pound off the outside edges of the clutches it changes how much weight is being spun. hmm how to explain this... if you add 10 pounds of weights to the outer edge of the clutch cover it would take more HP or lighter weights {and a different spring} to compensate for the extra weight being spun {don't quote me but I think spinning weight is like x7 for the spinning force .... cause and effect... if you are at full shift out weights pointed strait out and you then added 70 gram weights to the out side edge of the cap can you see how that would change the rpms just like adding different weights?

as for the crank its before the clutches and I don't have a good enough of an understanding on what or how much of an effect that has on rpms so my comments would be purely speculation based on no facts!
as for the weight lost weight on the clutch I don't know how much it would take to cause a real effect on rpm I just know it would very greatly depending on how much weight was added or subtracted and how far from the center of the clutch the weight was added or subtracted from. weight centered on a spinning clutch has a lot less effect on it than weight further out on it.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
We had to add about 1.5-2 grams on a sled running a ZRP cover vs stock. We had a stock sled running a stock cover under RPM and a Boosted sleds running a ZRP cover that was over reving. They swapped cover that day and both were happy they did so.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Primary only sets Max RPM, Secondary is the load sensing portion of the CVT.

I'm with ICR on this one;

The amount of mass (whether greater or less) is independent from primary clutch weight / spring equation. If you are seeing an effect, then your secondary setup is off and is helping to limit your max RPM! And when switching to a lighter component in the drive train it is allowing this clutching faux pas to show up.

Primary only sets Max RPM, Secondary is the load sensing portion of the CVT.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
the last time I hade a sled that I worked on that hade ES. we took it off ring gear starter bat. all wiring and gained 50 Rs when we were finished. not a lot I know but like I said I don't know how much weight it takes at what distance off the center to make a big enough change to matter but all weight on the clutch effects spool speed and top rpms my guess would be that it has les of an effect on the top rpms because its on the fixed portion of the clutch witch is why I am not positive how much a lightened crank would effect the max RPMs. it might take a lot of weight to have a noticeable difference do to the fact that that doesn't effect the moveable portion... when you are at full shift out you can put weight on the back of your clutch and wont see as drastic of change as you would if you put it on the cap. does that make since to you.... it just does not try to pull the moveable part of the clutch witch is what effects the RPMs.... you understand why???

Premium Features