• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 MM overheated: icy trails

B
Oct 26, 2012
Oly
Took it out on Sunday, trails were icy/hard compact snow. Warm outside, guessing about 40F.
Let the sled warm up for about 10min before riding.
Got up the trail for about 2miles, showed overheat.
Opened the hood, coolant reservoir was just starting to overflow out the spout.
Exchangers were warm/hot.
Not using ice scratchers.

Thinking that there was just not enough snow to get onto the exchangers.

I've never had a problem with this sled before, but I've never run it on hard/icy snow trails either.
Anyone else?
I've ordered ice scratchers, so will try it out again and see.

(I was also running my 2001 MM with ice scratchers and it did fine (temp gauge showed about 120-130).

trail traveler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2014
WA state
You're right on target about needing ice scratchers. When the trails are compact like you described, ice scratchers will certainly do the job. When I'm out riding and I see my temps climb, I'll drop my scratchers and the temperture will drop about 20 degrees in under a minute of riding.

T
Dec 4, 2016
Same problem.

I have the same sled with the same problem. Going up a long hill on compact snow will make it overheat. If possible plow through some soft snow on the side of the trail.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
If you run into a real problem, pack the tops of the running boards with chunks of snow then head for the first soft spot you see.

Premium Features