• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Push turbo

M7-Ballz 2 the Wall

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Have had Push kits in the past, and I'd wouldn't spend my money with Ken again. Little to no support from Ken after month of just trying to get a hold of him. Unless you have a direct dealer for Push Turbo's locally, like Dakota Performance was awesome to deal with even up here in AK.

nm2708

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
Mott ND
Dakota Performance is just a few hours away from me but idk if they still install them kits

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
dakota performance won't work with ken, nor will any of his other venders. Here is a long tragic story.

Bought a push turbo from ken at haydays last year for my axys. In total we bought 4 kits, 2 ac and 2 poo. He said would be delivered by late october. So after basically hounding him to death he sent 2 of us our kits just before new years. Mine was missing the tune for 2 more weeks. Everything installed ok, didn't make sense and we got no instructions. Finally got a tune from him and took it out. It flat out sucked. At 7 lbs of boost it was not better than my wife stock assault, actually she would walk me. I sent him 44, yes 44 data logs to straighten out the tune. There was no improvement. Joey at bikeman was programming the bulldog. I finally started talking to joey directly, he basically said the tune was junk and would never get any better because ken had no idea. Still have all the emails. Finally mid feb just before leaving for Burandts mtntk was nice enough to work with me. I had to buy there intercooler, tunnel cooler and tune. I was able to cut kens stuff up and make it all work. Rode my sled for the first time in colorado, 0 test time. I made it work because I had spent $1500 on clutching cause ken kept insisting it was the clutching not the tune. Well kens turbos flat out suck. Night and day difference with the mtntk tune and plumbing. Kens stuff was amateur compared to the mtntk stuff. I called every manufacturer trying to get help and they all told me the same thing, he is using 10 year old technology and it is all plumbed wrong. He said he was including all this stuff, carbon fiber etc, none of it came.
The other kit that showed up for the ac was the same crap, tune sucked, tons of data logs with no improvements. Ken sent his "personal tune" and my buddy burnt down 3 miles into our first day at burandts, had to rent a polaris for the week. He has since taken all the push turbo stuff off and completely rebuilt it with the help of silber and boondocker.

I am fighting low bottom end because he uses a too large for application 2873. I am looking to replace the intake housing with a 60 garrett. Oh and by the way he said he used all high quality garrett housings which is a lie, he used some sand cast chinese crap.

The other polaris guy never got a kit and had to press felony charges on ken to get his money back which finally showed up in July.

The 2 push kits now barely have any push turbo parts left on them and have cost double almost triple what the original $3200. Save your money and go with a reputable company.

nm2708

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
Mott ND
I was gonna order one tomorrow but that is definitely making me think twice about it. What kit would u recommend for the new dsi 800 cat

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I was gonna order one tomorrow but that is definitely making me think twice about it. What kit would u recommend for the new dsi 800 cat
Hold out until the silber gang releases their new stuff with reflashed OEM ecu. Its spot on for the Axys and 850. Its where the industry is headed. Don't throw your money away on push stuff thats for sure. He was OK at doing yamaha stuff, but thats also hard to mess up. kens 2 stroke stuff is OK at best.

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
I would be patient. The dsi is a totally different animal, much easier to turbo than the older sleds. I would look into the already reputable companies, silber, vohk and mtntk. It will save you time and money in the long run, trust me

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Hold out until the silber gang releases their new stuff with reflashed OEM ecu. Its spot on for the Axys and 850. Its where the industry is headed. Don't throw your money away on push stuff thats for sure. He was OK at doing yamaha stuff, but thats also hard to mess up. kens 2 stroke stuff is OK at best.

I've heard some horror stories on the Yamaha side as well..

That being said, I was part of a horror story with MCXpress.. A supposedly good company to deal with..

When investing this much money, and possibly losing or ruining an entire winter or two (like me) you really need to do some home work. If you have issues, you need to be able to pick up the phone and call someone. So call them a couple times before you buy.. See how they respond, and IF they respond. If they don't have much time for you before you buy you can be certain you'll be left out in the cold after you buy and have issues.

Personally I'd let the tuners figure this thing out for a year. Anyone can throw a turbo on a sled and plumb it in.. but it takes time to tune and this engine only came out mid season last year.. but that's just me. I really value my time these days..

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Did anybody run the push turbo on their 17 800 cat. How did u like it and was it reliable?
A kit may run well most days or even every day but keep in mind that when you add 40-50hp to a sled all of the little things that may not affect a stocker will now be an issue. It WILL require more work and $$$ to run than a stocker.

Rode with a 16 Cat with a sidekick this year, it was probably the crispest, cleanest sounding turbo sled I have heard. Did not ride it, but appeared to work very well.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I've heard some horror stories on the Yamaha side as well..

That being said, I was part of a horror story with MCXpress.. A supposedly good company to deal with..

When investing this much money, and possibly losing or ruining an entire winter or two (like me) you really need to do some home work. If you have issues, you need to be able to pick up the phone and call someone. So call them a couple times before you buy.. See how they respond, and IF they respond. If they don't have much time for you before you buy you can be certain you'll be left out in the cold after you buy and have issues.

Personally I'd let the tuners figure this thing out for a year. Anyone can throw a turbo on a sled and plumb it in.. but it takes time to tune and this engine only came out mid season last year.. but that's just me. I really value my time these days..
Very true, it is nice to make sure things are dialed, im thinking more for the guys who aren't as good at waiting like myself.

the nice thing is the plumbing was about already done since the chassis didn't change just the plastic. Clutching isn't too bad since although they change (again) it its not completely new program like the 850's were. And with the mid season release, I know plenty of regular guys who were able to log over 1000 miles so the turbo crowd was able to get an aggressive jump and better part of a seasons worth of tuning in.

And when you have the OEM ecu cracked and data logging available, your no longer going out and guessing and checking, your making constant meaningful changes to the mapping and it all comes together a lot faster then the guess and check methods of old.

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
Does anyone have a good running push turbo? I purchased the TBBT kit, installed it on my 14 limited with no instructions. Was able to figure it out fairly easy.
The map was way too rich. I had to lean it out A LOT to get it to run. I'm in northern Nevada, the air densities are crazy here so I understand why the fueling was fat.

Once I got it to start easily, no bog, and pull through the rpms I was ready to tune it. Got 6 miles up the road and a weld on the wastegate fail. Ken next day shipped the component to me. No issues. I ran out of time to tune the sled.

He was good to deal with when I could reach him. It is a One man shop, manufacturing, customer service, and distributing a product. I understand being difficult to get a hold of him at times.

For those 6 miles though, the turbo was awesome. There was no lag. I believe it performed well for very little tuning.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Yes I have a tbbt push with vipec on a 14' cat. I love mine but I did buy mine through Dakota Performance and they installed it and tuned it for me. I do wish the vipec was easier to tweak the fuel map.

I switched back and forth last year with a guy running a 13' cat with BD turbo. This push kit with vipec is MUCH more responsive!!

C
Oct 25, 2017
Push/Blow Turbo kit instal

Any one have the install instruction's for the Push/Blow turbo kit with Tial for Cat proclime M8000
Thanks!!!!

Premium Features