• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I've gone to DefCon 5 on my Cat 1100T driveline!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I don't have a lot of miles on my 1100T SC 300 but I'm generating near core of the sun temps and when a belt goes its 6 four inch pieces and a mass of cord and dust. Based on all the chain issues I see I want to address that too. I want to be able to just hammer the power on this sled and be confident that my belt and chain won't grenade at a bad spot. Soooooo, enter Kevin at C3 Powersports. I just received my C3 belt drive with both stock and one ratio lower cogs. I also just bought a TAPP primary clutch. I've already got the Team secondary. Need to get the sled up to Woody at Mt Baker Motorsports(who has just been a huge help and all around great guy) to get the driveline sorted out, my BDX gas tank and light weight seat installed. Hope to get a few more big storms to test this beast in.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
You'll love the belt drive...

I don't have a lot of miles on my 1100T SC 300 but I'm generating near core of the sun temps and when a belt goes its 6 four inch pieces and a mass of cord and dust. Based on all the chain issues I see I want to address that too. I want to be able to just hammer the power on this sled and be confident that my belt and chain won't grenade at a bad spot. Soooooo, enter Kevin at C3 Powersports. I just received my C3 belt drive with both stock and one ratio lower cogs. I also just bought a TAPP primary clutch. I've already got the Team secondary. Need to get the sled up to Woody at Mt Baker Motorsports(who has just been a huge help and all around great guy) to get the driveline sorted out, my BDX gas tank and light weight seat installed. Hope to get a few more big storms to test this beast in.
I didn't go that far, but did install the c3 belt drive. I currenty have a 2.42 ratio, but wil install the stock 2.33 ratio before the next ride as the sled is already geared down some with the Avid 7 tooth drivers. The biggest thing I've found is the motor / TCL / jackshaft move too much, which was corrected with OSP mounts, turbie performance tunnel mounts, OSP's jackshaft support & engine snubber. Might be a bit overkill, but haven't toasted a belt yet, have only had chain issues (which I suspect is solved with the C3 drive). A shout out of thanks to JustBoostIt, Jim at EVO, Eric at RacinStation, and Kevin at C3 for great customer support, and helping to build this sled to it's potential.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
What I'm hoping for is a sled I can ride really hard and not have it fail or fall apart. The engine is sweet, the chassis is sweet but the driveline is weak. Borderline for 180hp, not even close for 300. Jim at Evo said the tune we will get next year is going to be stronger still will the same parts we have now. I'm really leaning to a 174-3". I think the sled will balance out with that track nicely.

U
Nov 28, 2007
Alaska

So did u get a chance to ride it with all the updates ?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Sorry didn't see this. Only one ride since this post. We didn't put the TAPP clutch on for that ride. Still grenading belts and I mean grenading! First belt made one meager hill climb and blew. Then I took it easy for about 15 miles to break in the next belt. Never above half throttle. The engine runs so good it is pretty amazing where you can go on half throttle. Finally got to a really nice bowl and figured I would go for it. Worked up to a little over half throttle and it felt great so I went to the bar with it. It hit the rev limiter softly and I wasn't sure what happened. I rolled out of the throttle and back into it. Same thing, just tickled the rev limiter and BOOM goes the belt. About 15 pieces one to three inches long. Pretty disappointing. Got the TAPP in it now and some MORE engine tie down pieces and we are going to test it again.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Sorry didn't see this. Only one ride since this post. We didn't put the TAPP clutch on for that ride. Still grenading belts and I mean grenading! First belt made one meager hill climb and blew. Then I took it easy for about 15 miles to break in the next belt. Never above half throttle. The engine runs so good it is pretty amazing where you can go on half throttle. Finally got to a really nice bowl and figured I would go for it. Worked up to a little over half throttle and it felt great so I went to the bar with it. It hit the rev limiter softly and I wasn't sure what happened. I rolled out of the throttle and back into it. Same thing, just tickled the rev limiter and BOOM goes the belt. About 15 pieces one to three inches long. Pretty disappointing. Got the TAPP in it now and some MORE engine tie down pieces and we are going to test it again.

Has EVO let loose there fix that was coming soon a while ago? One day I'm hoping to be reading the fix for these but alot of guys that know there stuff don't even have an answer. Might be time to put the noose on the TCL concept but then your gonna need a frame that can handle the torque.

J
Feb 25, 2010
Matte,

Where are you located i been there and have been able to overcome almost all of the problems have 700 miles on belt and still going. I live in Monroe and may be able to shed some light on what has worked for me.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Auburn. Woody at MBMS has the sled now. I would love to talk to you about it. I will PM my cel.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
How about a summary of what mods people have found to have added alot to belt life. How many have experienced jack shaft and chain case failure. And if a blown belt was the cause if the failure. Then to keep it interesting. Why the hell is there guys like me that own a 1100T with a bc275 with 700 miles and still on stock belt, stock chain and tensioner??? I consider to be Lucky but not sure why there are guys with problems every ride and then the guys that have had no problems. I don't get why the sleds that have all these problems and guys trying everything to fix it and still not getting the belt life? What gives.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
There do seem to be "good" and "bad" sleds. Also, there are a ton of variables in riding styles and conditions. I have a really hard time believing that I couldn't cook a belt on anyone's sled in the conditions we ride in at the power levels I have. 310HP in heavier coastal snow, riding at or above the tree line. I haven't given up by a long shot but the chassis is great especially with the mods i have, the engine is fantastic but the drive system from clutches, to shafts, to gears and chains just aren't up to the job. I am hoping that tying down the engine and upgrading the primary(along with the belt drive and Team secondary and venting and heat blankets etc already installed) will allow me to ride the way I want to ride(hard). I would be happy as hell with even 300 miles to a belt. I would consider belts a consumable just like slicks on a race car.

Sep 2, 2009
near rev Canada BC
my take 1100t

bought mid winter coming of m/1000 with lots of money in it bought used 2012 1100t guy hated it couldn,t ride it payed 50 cents on the dollar updated steering post 3"tack 7t drivers man don,t get it sled works great love it .chassis and motor awesome same belt still has warranty on drive line see what happens with cat on updates. rode last weekend revy heavy wet show 509 and boys filming in turtle sunny and hot. sled would climb any thing your balls would let you.pump gas with a can o ya and a cooker what a day

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Chassis reinforcement is required...

bought mid winter coming of m/1000 with lots of money in it bought used 2012 1100t guy hated it couldn,t ride it payed 50 cents on the dollar updated steering post 3"tack 7t drivers man don,t get it sled works great love it .chassis and motor awesome same belt still has warranty on drive line see what happens with cat on updates. rode last weekend revy heavy wet show 509 and boys filming in turtle sunny and hot. sled would climb any thing your balls would let you.pump gas with a can o ya and a cooker what a day
There is too many variables ranging from chassis flex, soft mounts, poor production tolerances from factory, etc to have a "blanket fix" for these machines, especially with additional hp. The motor and jackshaft need to be secured on most, venting is a must, and the stock cat clutches are junk. Don't get me wrong - I love the M1100, but I did address all of these items, and at the expense of losing reverse. A drive belt isn't going to live much past 500 miles on this chassis with 275+ hp, it is simply not a realistic expectation IMHO. Years ago we used to "blueprint" a chassis when we built mountain sleds (because the manufacturers never built a mtn sled), and the process has to be done again simply due to production tolerances and horsepower levels. A lot of things can be done to help, but venting, chassis / clutch / motor alignment have to be at the top of the list, along with getting rid of that monstrosity Cat calls a chain case. The aftermarket has created some repairs that work great - one just has to determine which ones are needed for their application.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Oldfart:
How do you explain my sled then? It has the BC275 on it. The 700 miles on it Havnt been easy. Deep powder hill climbs and mountain riding. And still on original belt. I'm not saying that Cat doesn't have a problem. But for you to say that ALL the 1100T's are junk untill upgraded is to much of a blanket statement.
Obviously there is something everyone is missing. Especilly the guys that are buying thousands of dollars on belt drives and snubber kits and still blowing belts. My clutches work good not great, there is room for improvement not for belt life but for shift. There is alot of bold posts on here that just state these sleds are darn near unrideable in the mountains, especially with a evo kit added.
Untill a belt drive and jack shaft and clutches and snubber kits. The list goes on and on. And yet I'm seeing better belt life out of a stock setup and running big HP then the guys spending over $4000 just to resolve the belt life issue alone. Something doesn't make sense and someone is missing the mark on what the REAL problem is.

D

DYEMAN

Banned
Feb 21, 2008
Belt life

In the day we use to put new belts on the wife's sled ? Yes ? Easy does it , break in a belt ! But buy a simple heat gun and check belt temps ! Extreme temp is a dead give away !! Now the motor is moving , or clutches are out of alinement or ??? You need to check out your problem under a load , and ck for movement belt marking on clutch ect ! Exploding belts is vary expensive , and the fun factor seeks a new low ! The distance between the clutches and the engine is moving out of alinement and causing heat and exploding belts it's that simple .

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
My 1100T has a BC250 Turbo on it and I only blew one belt and that was when my clutching was way off. Sled overreved hard and grenaded the belt. Once I got the clutching where It needed to be it has been rock solid. I have not exploded a belt and it seems as though I only get about 500 miles to a belt(worn not exploded). But I am not complaining about that. I have the stock clutches on a 2012. I am likely going to go to a team tied next year as I broke the rollers in my clutch last year so I need a new helix and the expensive rollers and if I do that I am half way to a team clutch.

Now for the chain. . . . That did not fair as well. 400 miles and snap. I am going to have to do something about that. I have zero faith in the auto tensioner so I think that removing that will be the best bet. Also am going to go to stiffer duro rear motor mounts.

I have been toying around with the idea of doing the rear mounts like a yamaha but I don't have the sled in front of me to verify if it would work. Two Plates on the side of the tunnel. A long bolt and aluminum spacers to span the width. It works on yamahas it would work on the cat if it can be done. The reason I am thinking about doing this on a sled that does not have clutching issues Is I can't leave well enough alone. I feel like If I can tie the motor down the best possible like how yamaha has it will be a win win.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
My money's on the TCL. I have a good one with the EVO 215 flash and have never even pulled a cord. Yes my riding is 90/10 flat land to mountain but there is deep enuff powder in the U.P. that more than equates to where I've been out west. Something isn't right in this piece, flatlanders who blow belts have bearings being cooked outta of the TCL and now Turbie is making a whole new TCL that is still being tested. Not sure who makes them for Cat but after studying this issue for the last two seasons my mind is made up, nothing else makes sense for the belt greanaders. But what do I care I've jumped back to the 2S world but will have the Turbo to stare at cause you can't sell them without a major bath.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
My money's on the TCL. I have a good one with the EVO 215 flash and have never even pulled a cord. Yes my riding is 90/10 flat land to mountain but there is deep enuff powder in the U.P. that more than equates to where I've been out west. Something isn't right in this piece, flatlanders who blow belts have bearings being cooked outta of the TCL and now Turbie is making a whole new TCL that is still being tested. Not sure who makes them for Cat but after studying this issue for the last two seasons my mind is made up, nothing else makes sense for the belt greanaders. But what do I care I've jumped back to the 2S world but will have the Turbo to stare at cause you can't sell them without a major bath.

I think the deal is that there is a stack of tolerances on top of each other. +/-.005" here, +/- .010" there. Possibly issues with parallelism. Makes me what to measure a few to see how they stack up. It is definately a part that could be fairly hard to fixture consistantly.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Snowmow if I were you I wouldn't change a thing. If you set up works I would just be thankful for that. You could just open the can of worms. I can see guys with stock to 225HP working decent with stock clutching and the flat landers. But add 100 freaking horsepower and 50 plus degree slopes in 3 feet of snow, that is a whole different universe. This is not an unsolvable problem, I just wish I had waited a year and let someone else do the development, I have just a retarded amount of money in this sled.

Premium Features