• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 Clutch Update Letter from Cat

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Wow, I knew about the new clutches but,

It sounds like they might help out '12 and '13 owners. Although the three of us that ride together have only blown one belt in 4,000 miles total.

Owen

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Here is why I think Cat will be upgrading some of these under warranty at no cost. When I mean "some", I mean stock motors.

This line is why I think that:

"Arctic Cat will be offering different kits depending on the customer's situation (Meaning that if you bitch about it to your dealer), and whether modifications have been applied to the snowmobile or not"

This might mean that the kit is available to everybody, but we will only pay for the ones where the sled is still stock. If they were going to charge for everybody, they likely would have not made that distinction (Stock/vs/modification)

If they were going to charge everybody, they would not have made any distinction at all. The line above it already says that the kit will be available for our 2012-13 product owners (Does not say stock/vs/mod) It is the line above in bold that makes the distinction of what they will pay for and what they wont.

We shall see though.......

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Here is why I think Cat will be upgrading some of these under warranty at no cost. When I mean "some", I mean stock motors.

This line is why I think that:

"Arctic Cat will be offering different kits depending on the customer's situation (Meaning that if you bitch about it to your dealer), and whether modifications have been applied to the snowmobile or not"

This might mean that the kit is available to everybody, but we will only pay for the ones where the sled is still stock. If they were going to charge for everybody, they likely would have not made that distinction (Stock/vs/modification)

If they were going to charge everybody, they would not have made any distinction at all. The line above it already says that the kit will be available for our 2012-13 product owners (Does not say stock/vs/mod) It is the line above in bold that makes the distinction of what they will pay for and what they wont.

We shall see though.......

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Bottom line here is that Cat knew for the last two years that these sleds blow belts at at least 3x the rate they should. These sleds were introduced too early without proper testing and validation, and just now are coming to the table with a potential fix.

Us consumers are the ones doing the testing for them, and having to pay to do so by replacing belt after belt at $175 each. COME ON!! Really?

I will put it this way, if we are going to be charged, I am done with Cat, on principle alone.

It would be like buying a brand new truck, and driving it only 1000 miles then having to replace all four tires at your own expense because the manufacturer engineered the truck in such a manner that the tires blew after a few weeks.

If GM/Dodge/Ford tried this, they would be strung up.......

I say, no way will they charge for this!! No way

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I bet only 1 in 10 sleds are kept stock

will have to slap your oem stuff back on to get warranty work done. pure Bullshizzzt

C
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Valley WA
Went to my dealer today. He informed me that since my
sled is under Cat Care and not factory warranty, my sled is
not covered for the new clutch. I can purchase it for the $149 option mentioned
in the bulletin. So my question is, why is Cat saying that they will warranty the clutch when so few of the 12's will actually be under warranty? We all got 1 year warranty with one year Cat Care covering the 2nd year. I got the 3rd year when I had the updates done last year. Or is my dealer incorrect?

C
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Valley WA
Went to my dealer today. He informed me that since my
sled is under Cat Care and not factory warranty, my sled is
not covered for the new clutch. I can purchase it for the $149 option mentioned
in the bulletin. So my question is, why is Cat saying that they will warranty the clutch when so few of the 12's will actually be under warranty? We all got 1 year warranty with one year Cat Care covering the 2nd year. I got the 3rd year when I had the updates done last year. Or is my dealer incorrect?

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
They realized that most of the people would fall under the 150 dollar secondary. I think they planned on giving people clutches who bought a holdover this year. Pretty crappy really.
Most of the guys that have been having belt issues bought their sleds in late 2011 or early 2012 and have had Their sleds to the dealer to "find the problem". Which they never did. Now cat finally steps up (after most guys are out of warranty) and blames the secondary and is making most of the guys buy it. Cat should be giving every guy the damn clutch and $700+ dollars of cat credit for all the friggin belts they had to buy not to mention the lost riding time.

Bad deal!

Premium Features