• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Technical tree riding the M1100

C
Jan 18, 2004
Merrill Oregon
So has anyone been into the trees w/the M1100 yet? Most of our riding is in steep canyons and such. All the videos I see only show point and shoot type riding which is fun for a short while.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Def no as easy as an 800, but it is tolerable. Ill see if I can get some footage, but it will be a week or so.

I likee.

U
Dec 11, 2012
Haven't ridden one but did some with my nytro and its always possible but you will be dead tired after throwing that sled around for a long period of time.

plumberdood

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Missoula MT
Yes it's possible I ride with 2 strokes all the time they always want go in the trees. can I keep up with them yes use a lot more energy to do it get a nice steep mountain then the fun really begins. I weigh 200 pounds 2 stroke just won't take me to the places I want to go. Need more practice with my iPhone

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Yes you can. As sad above it takes a little more effort but its a blast to ride the 1100 in the trees. I'd take my 1100 any day in the trees just cause of the torque compared to a 2stroke.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
We play in the trees every time the weather is bad, which is more often than I'd like lol. Clutching and some Evo parts to enhance turbo spool makes it a lot easier to manage. In any situation other than the down hill turn I'd rather had the low speed torque of the 4s. I used to ride trees with a 320hp MCX Apex, you want to talk about lag in the trees.....consider yourselfs lucky.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I tree ride 80% of the time, I ride with 5 pro, 3 doo, and a few cats, all 2 smokes. Down hill is the only problem I have. Love when they try and make a line in the tight trees,and the big 1100t just powers its way to the top when they all half way.

C
Jan 18, 2004
Merrill Oregon
When you guys say except for downhill does that mean the 1100 tries to nose dive? Or does it want to keep going down hill and not carve and go back up the hill?
I had the first year yamaha Nytro MTX and hated it so I hope the A/C is worlds above it.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The 1100t is just different to ride. In some situations it's a lot better than our m8 and some it's worse in the trees. We spend a lot of time in the trees. The power and torque, especially with the added evo power, are a huge benefit.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Depends on what your definition of technical is and if you are a pro or a joe. Most times these threads go.... Ya no problem in the trees but we all know but might not admit that 4 stroke turbos shine in the open more than the trees.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Depends on what your definition of technical is and if you are a pro or a joe. Most times these threads go.... Ya no problem in the trees but we all know but might not admit that 4 stroke turbos shine in the open more than the trees.

I very much agree.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
My dad owns one and I rode it for a week last year. I ride primarily trees tight and steep with lots of terrain. It is do able but not much fun in the real technical stuff. The power is not really much help in these situations. I do anticipate the 2013 we have now is going to be quite a bit better with the 38" stance and the vert steering. Plus 300 hp Evo kit will make anything fun.

Bottom line is yes it does trees, it is much harder and you better be able to really ride if you want to hang with the 2 smokes in the real nasty stuff.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Tree riding...

I have a 2013 M1100T w / EVO BC250 kit, lightweight battery, & exhaust, vented panels & EXIT shocks frt / rear. It is definitely rideable in the trees, but you need a combination of physical size, condition, and riding ability. My last 6 trips out were socked in, and no choice but to pick around in the lumber. I was tired at the end of each day, but in all fairness I would have been tired on a two stroke, too. When (not if) you get stuck, you will hate life. The simple fact is the 4 stroke feels (and is) heavier then the 2 stroke, and will always be. The 2013 M1100 is a great sled that will do it all if you are a capable rider, but riding the trees will always be easier on a lighter machine.
P.S. - the stock skis are crap, buy a set of SLP Powder Pros, or pretty much anything wider then the stockers.

J
Nov 27, 2007
I have a 2013 M1100T w / EVO BC250 kit, lightweight battery, & exhaust, vented panels & EXIT shocks frt / rear. It is definitely rideable in the trees, but you need a combination of physical size, condition, and riding ability. My last 6 trips out were socked in, and no choice but to pick around in the lumber. I was tired at the end of each day, but in all fairness I would have been tired on a two stroke, too. When (not if) you get stuck, you will hate life. The simple fact is the 4 stroke feels (and is) heavier then the 2 stroke, and will always be. The 2013 M1100 is a great sled that will do it all if you are a capable rider, but riding the trees will always be easier on a lighter machine.
P.S. - the stock skis are crap, buy a set of SLP Powder Pros, or pretty much anything wider then the stockers.

Agree with most of what you said,except the skis, I think the narrower ski is easier to sink and thus gives a lighter feel to the sled. Just my opinion. Julio

S
Dec 6, 2007
I am 5'5 and 170 pounds and LOVE my Proclimb 1100T in the trees. It took me a few rides to learn how to use the power to make the sled feel lighter. I use a lot of counter steer and rider input and ride all day with the Pro RMK's and 2 stroke Cats.

Back in 2012 after the first 2 days riding the 4 stroke I was ready to sell the machine and go back to a 2 stroke. However once I stopped trying to ride the sled like my old M8 my eyes were opened.

This year I put on the narrower a-arms, 2.5 camoplast extreme track, vertical steering and the evo 215 mountain flash with some clutching from WKM in Llyodminister. These modifications made the sled way easier to ride and way more fun. And in 4' of fresh snow I was pulling out Pro's all day long in the trees. They just couldn't get enough track speed to keep moving.

I have been riding in the mountains for 14 years now and I have never had a more fun to ride and capeable mountain sled then my 1100T. The only time I get tired when I ride my sled is I get it stuck. The weight of a 4 stroke really shines in a 5' deep trench on a flat surface in the trees. haha

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
The little engine that could.....

I am 5'5 and 170 pounds and LOVE my Proclimb 1100T in the trees. It took me a few rides to learn how to use the power to make the sled feel lighter. I use a lot of counter steer and rider input and ride all day with the Pro RMK's and 2 stroke Cats.

Back in 2012 after the first 2 days riding the 4 stroke I was ready to sell the machine and go back to a 2 stroke. However once I stopped trying to ride the sled like my old M8 my eyes were opened.

This year I put on the narrower a-arms, 2.5 camoplast extreme track, vertical steering and the evo 215 mountain flash with some clutching from WKM in Llyodminister. These modifications made the sled way easier to ride and way more fun. And in 4' of fresh snow I was pulling out Pro's all day long in the trees. They just couldn't get enough track speed to keep moving.

I have been riding in the mountains for 14 years now and I have never had a more fun to ride and capeable mountain sled then my 1100T. The only time I get tired when I ride my sled is I get it stuck. The weight of a 4 stroke really shines in a 5' deep trench on a flat surface in the trees. haha

S2H sums it up perfectly, and he's not 200lbs (lucky bastard). If we could just make this a sticky lol.

1. Can you ride 1100s in the trees...yes
2. Will it be harder.....yes
3. Do you need to be 200+ lbs, no but it makes it easier.
4. Can you ride it like you rode your 800 and expect similar results....no, it's a four stroke. Throttle control, managing turbo spool, and planning your next movement of the sled a second earlier are all things that are different than an 800.

Can you go from driving a V8 f-150 to a 1 ton diesel as your commuter in town? Sure. Can you drive it the same way? Umm no. I drive a twin turbo 5.9 dually.
People that drive it almost kill themselves turning left at intersections with oncoming traffic by giving it a 1/16 of the gas pedal. That is how a gasser drives, but that doesn't begin to light twin turbos. I can drive it just fine. Adapt.

If you commit to learning to ride a 4s it overall has a lot of things that you will like better than your old 2s way past the reliability benefits.

D
Feb 16, 2008
MONTANA
We play in the trees every time the weather is bad, which is more often than I'd like lol. Clutching and some Evo parts to enhance turbo spool makes it a lot easier to manage. In any situation other than the down hill turn I'd rather had the low speed torque of the 4s. I used to ride trees with a 320hp MCX Apex, you want to talk about lag in the trees.....consider yourselfs lucky.

I second that!!! I cut my formidable teeth riding the powerhouse apex in trees, and let me tell you everybody should put a few years in on one. After that boot camp, you can treeride any sled in any situation without breakin a sweat!:face-icon-small-coo

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
I don't agree with that 100%. My '13 1100 is the first sled I have had vertical steering on. I can still ride a '12 better with a forward post kit, I haven't had enough time on a '13 to be better with it.

If you are used to vertical steering there is no way you would say non-vertical is better. I realize once I have more time on it it will be better, makes sense.

Premium Features