• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightest mx style snowmobile helmet?

Jul 22, 2009
What is the lightest motocross style snowmobile helmet that is out there? Fly CarbonF2, Klim F4, etc.? I want to invest in a nice helmet this year. Thanks in advance for the help!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I dunno. There are a lot of claimed weights by a lot of helmet vendors.

I've yet to see independent weigh-offs.

That might be a good idear for someone to pull off.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
what are your requirements?

any type of ratings you want them to have or just straight weight as the deciding factor?

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
I have a KBC and a 509 and the 509 is lighter then the KBC. I have not weighted them, but you can tell when holding them.

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
I have the klim f4 and it feels lighter than the 509 carbon but have not weighted them. The 509 has alot looser fit I would try both on and see which one you like better I don't think you can go wrong with either

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The Airoh Aviator is probably the lightest of all mentioned so far. Too bad there are no vendors that I've found in the US for them. Had to buy mine out of the UK.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I dunno. There are a lot of claimed weights by a lot of helmet vendors.

I've yet to see independent weigh-offs.

That might be a good idear for someone to pull off.

Exactly. My Fox V3 was ok but about 3.5 lbs. my TLD SE3 is the same even with Ti d- rings. And the Shoei VFX has a really awesome liner and weighs 3.5 lbs. (I think I see a pattern here) Beware of getting a large size helmet in a medium shell, your jawbone might get exposed. Of course, DOT and SNELL M2010 should be requisite in a brain bucket purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
And my Airoh Stealth Senior is 950gram (0.95kg), hard to beat if weight is the main goal.
Klim F4 is a bit heavier, not much, maybe 0.4-0.5lbs (200g) but it seem to be more suited for snowmobile use then anything else i've seen, i will try one this seaaon, aswell as the new googles.

Using Tapatalk on Android ICS pad.

J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
The Airoh Aviator is by far the best helmet made, I got one this winter and I can't say enough about just how good it is. Its light, really light, its comfortable, really comfortable, it seals really well with goggles around your face and prevents snow from entering you mouth, its very well ventilated and regulates temperature very well and looks super sick. The weight is un-noticeable, meaning you don't even feel like you are wearing a helmet.

I own 2 Fox V3's, a Troy Lee SE2, Thor and a Shoei VFWX and they are all garbage compared with the Airoh. Nothing even comes close, its the best money you will ever spend.

They are available in North America, you can get them here:

http://airohamerica.com/

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The Airoh Aviator is by far the best helmet made, I got one this winter and I can't say enough about just how good it is. Its light, really light, its comfortable, really comfortable, it seals really well with goggles around your face and prevents snow from entering you mouth, its very well ventilated and regulates temperature very well and looks super sick. The weight is un-noticeable, meaning you don't even feel like you are wearing a helmet.

I own 2 Fox V3's, a Troy Lee SE2, Thor and a Shoei VFWX and they are all garbage compared with the Airoh. Nothing even comes close, its the best money you will ever spend.

They are available in North America, you can get them here:

http://airohamerica.com/

685 bones and no flying eyeball paint? I'm happy with my "garbage" SE3 for at least another year...

H
Aug 18, 2010
I would start with the Klim F4. If you're lucky enough to get this helmet to fit you hit the jackpot. The F4 ventilates so well compared to other helmets you'll think you died and went to heaven. It might be slightly heavier then some of the non Snell approved helmets, but you'll feel 20 pds lighter when your head is dry and you're not sweating your butt off.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
lots of answers to a simple question

I believe the lightest if you can find it is the Marushin RS-MX Carbon at 850 grams

Marushin-RS-MX-Carbon.jpg

But as long as were pitching lids....of course www.ride509.com for the
by far the best helmet made

:lever:

Premium Features