• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jackshaft.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Could the jackshaft itself be the issue? Wasn't the hollow jackshaft part of skidoo's issue?

I had a dream cat updated the whole jackshaft last night lol.

-Aksnopro

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Skidoo jack shaft was to short and it thru the belt out of alignment. A longer one was added in 2010. The skidoo clutch was not floated and that didn't help either.

Isn't the cat secondary floated ?

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
It floates if you put a tied on it:face-icon-small-coo

T
Jan 1, 2008
I machined my clutches' sheave angles and turned the secondary into a torsional spring system with bearings in the the secondary before I ever had it on the snow. The clutches work very well WITHOUT high belt or clutch temps!

T
Jan 1, 2008
The primary clutch moveable sheaves I left it stock. On the stationary sheave angle, I increased the angle 1/2 of one degree. That equates to .024" in a distance of 2.750". On the Secondary stationary sheave I increased that angle .048" in the same 2.750". That is equal to one degree more sheave angle. On the movable sheave I increased the angle .024" in the same 2.750". In other words, 1/2 of one degree. In assembling the clutch, I installed two .030" washers from the older three tower driven clutches before installing the moveable sheave with the four star cap screws to set my belt deflection. With the belt deflection already set, install the clutch onto the jack shaft with only one shim against the bearing. I then machined a spacer to bolt the clutch to the jack shaft and gave myself about .080" of float. If you can't machine a spacer, you can always use smaller washers than the spline ID to shim a larger washer that retains the clutch. I hope this helps. The clutches run much cooler and much more efficiently than they do in stock form!

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Sorry about the thums down, clicked by mistake.

So when you say increasing the angle you are taking the full cuf off the outside of the clutch and feathering it out so the base does not change?

Whats the theroy behind running different angles on all the sheilaves?

Thanks

T
Jan 1, 2008
There are several reasons that you don't run identical sheave angles. That makes the clutch system quite inefficient. Arctic Cat has never been the best at clutching. That is a fact. On the other hand, Polaris in years past has had the best primary clutch in the industry. Hind look at what they did with sheave angles. This is over looked by Arctic Cat. I remember when Arctic Cat build a Polaris secondary look a like clutch just because Polaris was always beating them or neck and neck when Arctic Cat clearly had more horse power. It was amusing, because Arctic Cat already had the best secondary clutch out there but their primary clutch was horrible. That really hasn't changed much. Arctic Cat with it's three tower roller driven clutch, had the best driven clutch in the industry. They went away from that clutch when they went to the Diamond Drive. Identical sheave angles DO NOT effect change well. What do we so with a snowmobile? Do we ride at a constant speed? NO! Having a shallower sheave angle on the moveable sheave accelerates the shift by pushing the belt up the stationary sheave that has more angle. Now the reason for having one degree more angle in the driven clutch than the drive clutch is the same. It accelerates the up shift or change from a static setting. In layman terms that is the easiest way to explain what is going on. I hope this helps.

T
Jan 1, 2008
Just a quick note: If you make these changes to your sheave angles, you will see a drop in rpm. That is because the clutches are working much more efficiently. Remember you must also make the secondary clutch work much better by turning the clutch into a torsional spring clutch.

T
Jan 1, 2008
I have not looked at the team tied sheave angles. I have found that a torsional spring system works far better than a compression spring system, for that reason I have not run a team clutch, or checked out their sheave angles.

Premium Features