• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Old Wooden Boats

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Well who knows much of anything about wooden boats?

Slow day at work planted a seed for a project in my head.

And that would be to restore if needed and float this summer an old wooden row boat that we have at our lake place. A bit of history there are two boats that have been kept inside a shed for as long as I can remember. They were handmade by my Great-Grandpas brother. In talking with his grandsons (who are old timers now) they used to take them out for the day and get yelled at for rowing to fast, they are 80 so the boats are at least 70 years old. My dad used to take them out as a child and he claims there is nothing that rows like these old boats.

I'm not a big fan of non motorized travel but I am a huge fan of getting a piece of history floating again.

So what do I need to know heading into this? First step is to pull the boats out and find which one is in the best shape. If the wood is still solid do I need to do anything besides fresh paint and let them sit in the water to swell the wood?

Hoping the red and white is in good shape, but there is one other sitting underneath of it.
IMG_1680.jpg

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
That beer you're holding is a lot like having sex in one of those boats..........

F__king near water!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I saw a couple of vids of Mountainhorse moving boats with a crane on Lake Placid, in Italy. BEAUTIFUL BOATS. VERY BEAUTIFUL!!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Mountainhorse is a PROFESSIONAL wooden boat restorer.
he travels all around the world doing this.
He is truly an EXPERT in that field.

Send him a PM.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Newer/more pics. Still in the shed. Gave the hull a few raps with the hand and it sounds solid so far.

IMG]http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz45/minnewawa/IMAG0685.jpg[/IMG]

IMAG0686.jpg

IMAG0689.jpg

IMAG0688.jpg

Best shot I could get of the inside from the floor looking up in the back corner. Not sure if it has the false bottom the whole way or just in the back maybe for a gas can.
IMAG0687.jpg

Premium Features