• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best oil you will ever find, 2 or 4 stroke. Huge benefit's for turbos.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Sounds like good stuff! I bet it is made with an additive called Tungsten disulfide? It is one of the slipperiest substances like .03 coefficient of friction. It is usually blasted with airpressure in a beadblast cabinet onto surfaces, like aluminum, steel,plastic etc,etc... The wear life in incredible as we use it on aircraft bearings in rod ends and titanium engine struts to keep from fretting the surfaces under high load tests. There are many places to use this on a snowmobile and the engine and chaincase are for starters! Just look up Dicronite which is a brand name for the application, and look up tungsten disulfide, they list some oils that use this in their blends. This is the chit better than molydisulfide, or graphite as far as adhesion into substrate if properly applied! Basically like little ballbearings that cannot buildup upon themselves as they are too slippery to adhere to ea. other, so max. thickness on any surface .5 microns.

Mike

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
Good for Power Valves?

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I looked up this oil last night and the only 2 cycle oil I could find didnt mention anything about being suitable for exhaust power valves.

Im assuming it is since its synthetic, but the Cat stuff and the Amsoil stuff specifically mentions its suitable for power valves.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Hear is some more info on what is in it

http://blog.sfrcorp.com/2007/06/21/extreme-pressure-agents-in-oil-additives/

Some of the products like D-sol, gas-sol, and some of the protecta treatments have a very small amount of titanium tungsten additives.

Also they have many people running the 2 stoke oil, the tried lots of other brands of 2 cycle oils on the tester and the other oils all stopped on 4 weights. The same as dry, there 2-cycle oil went to 15 weights, didn't go the full 20 weight because they blended it in a way to meet all standards and requirements, but 15 is still way up from all the others. even the popular amsoil, the only one I brought up that he wasn't sure about was the legend, but I bet it would be the same.

There where some ski-doo guys in CO that said it ran cooler and caused a few fouling problems. But it wasent proven either so it may be just one case of not so good tuning. Hopefully I can do some testing before the year is up.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The one thing to take into consideration in a 2 stroke that may not be mentioned, is that a 2 stroke needs to burn the oil. That is where we've seen a difference in Legend, it may not be as slippery as some others, but it burns better, which is what makes the powervalves stay cleaner. The difference from cat oil, interceptor, or dominator to legend was huge in how it burned, just looking at the right A arm of a sled makes that pretty obvious.

I'm interested to see how this compares, sounds like cool stuff.

S
Jun 8, 2011
My name is Bob Sanborn, formulator and technical director for SFR products here to answer any questions you might have.

ProTecta 2-Stroke motor oil is warranty approved with a TCW rating and is a full synthetic motor oil. It is only motor oil that I have found on the market that contains extreme pressure agents. In screening premium 2-Stroke oils both full synthetic and mineral oil based, I noticed that all products test on a Timken-Test Machine the same as dry, which is 4 weights or 120 lbs. of pressure with full damage to the bearing being tested. This simulates ASTM D-2783 EP Test. The ProTecta product will withstand 15 weights or 450 lbs. of pressure with no damage to the bearing. EP agents being acidic in nature literally become resident on the metal. This is very important to snowmobiles as they are not run every day, and regular 2 Cycle motor oil drains down into the pan. At start up wear can occur until full flow is restored. With a product with EP agents the wear is greatly reduced as heavy loads can be withstood.

ProTecta 2-Stroke Motor Oil has a specific gravity greater than 1.0, which is water. Motor Oils generally have a specific gravity lighter than water, thus condensation can occur and cause damage as the motor oil will float on the water leaving vital metal parts to premature wear. ProTecta with a higher specific gravity stays on the metal even if moisture enters thus protecting vital engine parts.

ProTecta has been thoroughly tested and on the market for about seven years and is used by many snowmobile enthusiasts.

If you have any questions regarding this product please reply here or give us a call at: 1-888-873-7371.

If you would like to order contact WyoBoy1000, find a distributor in your area from our website, or call us direct.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
So bob, since we're in a 2 stroke application, what are the burning characteristics of this oil? That is one of the most important things in dealing with a 2 stroke, is that it burns well, not gumming valves, coating plugs & the like...

How does this compare?

not a trick question btw... I use legend & found that this was the single biggest reason that I continue to use it, but I'm open to ideas.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just to put it out there, I don't know for sure and will let you know the more I run sfr. I have been running it in my turbo and am getting away with running more boost, usually I will hit a det code at 7lbs once in a while, I was running 9lbs the other day and might of hit det once or twice. It was 60* that day and figured it would make things worse, I'm not sure if its to do with sfr or not and will report next ride.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Just to put it out there, I don't know for sure and will let you know the more I run sfr. I have been running it in my turbo and am getting away with running more boost, usually I will hit a det code at 7lbs once in a while, I was running 9lbs the other day and might of hit det once or twice. It was 60* that day and figured it would make things worse, I'm not sure if its to do with sfr or not and will report next ride.

Warm air is less dense so you will be LESS prone to detonation.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
in some cases yes but it also increases charge temps, the weekend before it was around 32* and I had very little av left in it and was running up to 11lbs, it almost seems to stabilize the fuel. I will know more once I get some more time on it.

S
Jun 8, 2011
So bob, since we're in a 2 stroke application, what are the burning characteristics of this oil?

You pose a very good question as burning properly is the key to a superior oil along with having enough oil or lubricant so you do not burn a piston. This is generally measured during testing with particular emphasis on piston scuffing and spark plug fouling. If advanced scuffing takes place then the burn rate is too fast and if plugs are dark and do foul obviously you could have a build up of unburned lubricant. We addressed this as most of our products run 20 weights on the Timken Test Device or on the ASTM D-2783 we beat the machine as it only records to 880 kg. which our product surpasses. For the reasons you have indicated we backed off the oils ability to go 15 weights or 450 lbs. of pressure. We found it burns just right but provides maximum protection. All other 2-Cycle oils I have tested go the same as dry or only 4 weights (120 lbs.)

ASTM Certs?

• Passed All Current 2-Cycle standards ISO-L-EGB/JASO FB/FC/FD/API TC
  • Tests Detergency, Varnish, Torque, Lubricity, Smoke, Ring Sticking, Piston Scuffing, Spark Plug Fouling, and more.
  • Passed API TC Y350 Detergency Test
  • Passed Husqvarna 242 Chainsaw Test
    • Seven-hour test with severe fuel at full throttle (close to max power)
    • Evaluates high temperature deposits and ring sticking
    • Nine parameters must each exceed a Merit of 2 (0 to 5 scale) with no ring sticking or seizure

A summary of these tests can be found at: http://sfrcorp.com/product/testing/protecta-synthetic-low-smoke-2-cycle-oil/

I saw a note on getting more boost from his turbo using SFR. The real advantage and benefit is that when you shut down the engine and that turbo is still spinning thousands of RPM the extreme pressure agents are protecting it from premature wear. Those turbos get pretty hot and with no lubricant they have a tendency to fail. This product will really help your turbo.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Why is it that all the "best" oil out there, is only sold in these odd pyramid scheme/marketing ploys?

What the helI are you talking about (scheme), if you don't want it don't buy it. There are plenty of other option out there that work as it is, I just want the added benefits. Its also a helI of a lot cheaper. So where the F*ck is the sceme here.

I (and many others) have proven this stuff time and time again, Its the only oil that has shown a significant improvement and saved me lots of money. SO I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD PASS IT ALONG, TO HELP.

The only pyramid around here is the dunce cap on your head, or did I read your statement wrong.

Last edited:
M
Jun 3, 2010
inaccurate test???

This oil is tested against Castrol conventional oil only? Any synthetic oil out there will outperform a conventional oil. That is all I saw, why not show me the test using Amsoil, Klotz or Redline? I would be willing to bet the results would be different, you're not comparing apples to apples. There are also numerous other tests the National Marine Auto Association, NMAA, conducts to rate an oils performance. Also, you stated you used it 15-years ago. How come the hype all the sudden? There just isn't enough information for me to "buy in" to this oil

I'm not saying the oil is bad. I, personally, wouldn't run it until I see all the tests the NMAA subjects an oil too and upon conclusion, rates it accordingly.

I'll stick to one of the oils I mentioned above.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
This thread should go here:
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=283

This thread has nothing to do with the new Arctic Cat sled chassis, and only exists in this sub-forum because the original poster wanted to get the most visibility to a product they are selling. The shameless bumping of the thread to increase its visibility is also pretty transparent.

I would guess wyo posted it here because this is where he tends to hang out.

Just like I occasionally post ride reports here... even though it's not the colorado forum.

It started out a bit less of a "sales" thread, where wyo was just giving info, obviously it has morphed a bit, but still we're talking about a product that affects us... which is obviously why we're still talking about it.

btw... agree with your point btw, just saying it's not always quite as black & white.

Last edited:
Premium Features