• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

lightest helmet on market

W

wowgogs

Sep 9, 2009
what is the lightest snowmobile helmet on market.. want to get a new one to match sled :)
looking at new orange Klim.

800Gader

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wisconsin
Ski-doo XPR Carbon Light Helmet

Just bought one of these and it weighs in at: 42.7 oz / 1268 grams
Very nice helmet and incredibly light.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Plain City, UT
The Fox V3 and the HJC Carbon titan are also very light. I have both and wear the Fox in the summer as it has better ventilation and the HJC in the winter. They are both awsome helmets and can be found for a pretty good price on the net.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Downhill mtn bike helmet. Lighter than MX helmets & more protection that we need on a sled. Been riding them for years. Giro Remedy is what I ride, Rockgardn blacklite is another, and is DOT approved.

If you ACTUALLY want light, these win hands down.

T
Dec 25, 2007
DOT cert is for biking...wouldn't wear that on a motorcycle would you? Part of the rating has to do with top speed and weight due to crush injury. Seriously, the skull is really thin....and you only get one melon...more than you need should not be part of safety protection discussion! Use what is out there for motorsports when you have a motor involved!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
this discussion was already had in antother thread, but the basic points are, bike helemts are certed for dirt/rocks/pavement at super high speeds. i try to avoid riding my sled on dirt/rocks/pavement.. i would bet 9 out of 10 dowhiller accidents are way worse then sled ones./

if the helmet is designed to take this kinda impact... then im betting snow will be just fine. dont get so hungy up on the certifications.. they dont always mean everything in the world.

mountain-bike-crash-endo.jpg

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
A couple of years back I was set on getting one (and when I get set on something, that IS what I am going to do). Went shopping at Sportsman....talked to the sales guy....he wouldn't sell me one when he found out my intended use. Said they are not at all rated for motorized use and is it worth my life. This from someone who works on commission....but he had a lot of good points. I finally couldn't argue his points, and left without one.

Have never looked back, nor regretted that decision! :)

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/349.pdf

Motorized Sports

Bicycle helmets are not designed to protect in the harder impacts a motorcyclist can achieve by hitting something at 55 MPH or more. There are good helmets designed for every motor sport, and no excuse to settle for the lesser protection of a bike helmet. Standard bicycle helmets do not protect the face (you can live just fine with a busted nose or split lip from a bicycle crash) or the jaw joint, which can transmit injurious force to the brain in a crash at motorized speeds. We believe that motor scooters require motorcycle helmets too, and would even include motorized bicycles. We have a page up on that subject. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission, on the other hand, recommends that users of low speed motor assisted vehicles use bicycle helmets. Here is a link to their recommendation. But for "wheeled large motor" vehicles such as ATV's, dirt bikes, minibikes, motocrossing, karting mopeds and powered scooters they recommend DOT or Snell approved motorcycle helmets. New Zealand has a standard for All Terrain Vehicles (ATV), but we don't know what it requires. The only comprehensive motorcycle helmet resource we know on the Web is The World Health Organization Helmet Initiative, WHO's effort to spread the word about helmets worldwide.

S

scrfce

Oct 10, 2009
bc
check out the troy lee designs air beta helmets, i just got one it looks and fits awesome, extremely light with kevlar and carbon fiber materials aaand it has tons of ventilation

H

HillClimbRacer

Aug 14, 2008
I HAVE A FOX V3 AND A BELL MOTO-8. BOTH ARE ADVERTISED AT 1350 GRAMS OR 2.9 POUNDS. VERY LIGHT AND COMFORTABLE.

helmet 004.JPG

H

HOTRODREDNECK

Oct 28, 2008
COLORADO
just got a fly carbon/kevlar helmet this year. road with it twice so far and it is wayyyy lighter than the hjc i road with last year. no more neck pain after a full day ride:face-icon-small-hap

R

Ride_The_Rockies

Jun 19, 2002
Utah
if the helmet is designed to take this kinda impact... then im betting snow will be just fine. dont get so hungy up on the certifications.. they dont always mean everything in the world.

What about hitting a tree at 50+ MPH or having a 500# sled land on top of you?

I
Sep 2, 2010
Seattle, Wa
One of my best friends wears a downhill bike helmet when we go riding 4 wheelers. I used to think he was crazy and it wasnt enough protection.
But this summer riding the dunes when it's really hot out I am riding around without chest protection elbow pads etc because its just too friggin hot out.
Sometimes I would only wear an open face helmet (not a bright idea).
If it was super hot I wouldn't wear a helmet, but would just ride different.
I'm not doing backflips over sand dunes, just cruising around doing doughnuts and stuff.

With snowmobiling i'm not going to be doing crazy chute hill climbs and backflips, just getting to the spot, tandeming up and snowboarding. I quit wearing a helmet with snowboarding when I stopped riding ice.

In short, if i'm not pushing it hard I think I can trust my judgment with just a fullface mountain bike helmet. The thing about riding anything with handlebars is you have the suspension and your arms to take up ALL of the shock. look at all that stuff bolted to the handlebars, grill ruiners.

TLDNR

My personal bottom line is - if it breathes well, not too hot and is very light I am alot more likely to wear it. Simple.

I'm willing to bet my brain that I wont be hitting trees at 50mph on a snowmobile that I just paid 4k to get fixed.

T
Dec 25, 2007
Arguing with such logic is essentially the same as saying that because you ride with someone who has an avalanche beacon is good enough to protect you too.....ANY time you go out into any terrain that is more than completely flat, and go more than 5mph you are at some risk (no matter what the odds) of getting your head crushed when the vehicle flips. 5-600lbs is no joke. I would attach pictures of what this looks like, but you would be throwing up for weeks. Certainly messed with my head for a while. It is not a joke. Eyeballs blow out of their sockets, brains come out the ears...you want to be found like that? The most important thing to remember is that an avalanche is a crushing device. The tougher your helmet/chest protection, the more likely you are to survive. Suspension on a sled does nothing for you at that point. And if you have ever messed up while sidehilling and had a sled roll over on you, you would know that it is highly important to have as much protection as possible. Not trying to preach and something is better than nothing, but being on the medical end of things makes it hard to accept that one doesn't do everything possible to protect their fragile one-and-done parts...

Be safe on the hill!

ps I do a lot of mountain biking, so own a helmet for that too. Pretty thin compared with the motorized helmets I own:focus:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
what is the lightest snowmobile helmet on market.. want to get a new one to match sled :)
looking at new orange Klim.

I use Fox Rampage downhill bike helmet.Very Light and a bit smaller profile. Other than than looks just like a DOT helmet and goggles fit very well with no snow entering at the edges,It also is vented better for the California temps. There are no cars where I ride.

snowblind

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
los angeles
www.mtnX.com
I have 2 of the Marushins in medium and one is at 838 grams. the other is 851. under 2 lbs. Sweet and Light and easy I order them from Europe, or my brother gets them for me. $500 . the AIROH carbon aviator is at 950grams and is 700, but has a cleaner look and line. chris

Premium Features