• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cheap/free mods

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I've got a '99 RMK 700, and for this season I would like to try and lighten it up and or make it a little more rider friendly. Its already got an SLP pipe and can, gutted airbox, 151 along with a FLY 6in bar riser and their aerotaper bars. I'm planning on making some sort of mesh hood out of the stock on but was wondering what other cheap and easy mods can be done to it. Any and all info and ideas is welcome. cheers boys:beer;:beer;

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I've already cut it but I never thought about painting it

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Does the swaybar do that much? I planned on doing some sort of home brew 2 wheel kit, and going ofr a jog does no good. I only weigh like 180-185 in full gear.

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah I'm def going to do the sway bar. What kind of shock readjustment should I do? Is it possible to say build my own two wheel conversion. Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

M
Oct 21, 2009
that looks pretty sick. my windshield is about to be done now after i get it moving of course

yeah man, the way i did it was.

1. find a buddy to help you

2. measure and mark out at evey inch on the top of the shield and then do the same for the bottom.

3. count and make sure you have the same amount of markings on the top and bottom, if not (probably not) remove some markings from the side (top) that has more to make the count even. make sure to remove them symetricaly.
example: my windshield had 48 on the bottom and 51 on the top. so i removed one in the very middle, one on the very left and the one on the very right on the top side. now i had 48 and 48 markings.

4.create a line you like with electical tape because its flexible and makes nicer curves. once youve found a line that you like which will eventually be the new shape of your windshield.

5. now because you probably wont be able to make it symetrical by hand with the tape you will only take measurments for half the windshield... from one of the sides to the middle. take measurments by placing one end of the tape measure on the first mark on the bottom and the other end of the tape measure on the first mark on the top, record what the measurment is at the electrical tape and mark a dot with a fine tip marker. then move the tape measure to the second dots and record that measurment and so on untill you get to the middle.

6. simply take the measurments you got from the one half and mark them on the other half with that marker this will make the to half the same (symetrical). conect the dots with a straight edge.

7. for cutting i did 3 passes with an olfa knife !!!!very carfuly!!!! then used tin snips to finish it worked well.

NOTE: the black piping on the top of the windshield, remove this before starting but be carefull you can re-use this when your done. and also i found my line that i wanted while the windshield was on the sled and did all my measuring and marking with it off the sled. i had it flattend on the floor kneeling on it and it didnt crack!!

good luck if you deciced to try this.
it took me and a friend about 2 hours.

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I'm not where my sled is right now but when I get there I'll check and see how many wheels I have. I want to say 3 but I'm not positive. If thats so then I'll move on more to the inside of the rail and run set of spacers. Thanks for the info guys keep it coming

I
Feb 12, 2008
nanaimo b.c
If you are going to run 2 inside wheels with spacers and stock axl you will have to relocate your adjusters to the inside of the rails , if you dont you bend the axle if you hit something in the snow while the track is spinning.It just distributes the stress better . Trust me i know 3 axles later .

Premium Features