• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chest protectors??

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
I need to buy a new chest protector, I have been looking at the Klim & Teckvest. I like the klim cause its a little cheaper. Does anybody have one??? How is it for comfort?? Any other brands out there??? Just looking for opions before I buy one. Thanks....:beer;

L

lewey

Dec 26, 2007
vancouver
i think the motorcross ones are cheaper. i personally use a tekvest and love it. its saved me a few times and wouldn't ride without it. breaking ribs way out in the backcountry sucks! (thankgod for strong a-- painkillers!):D

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I believe Klim and techvest are the same. There are only 3 that I have seen people wearing Klim, Beware, and SixSixone makes one. I have the Klim/Techvest and really like it. I have heard complaints that the Techvest is too bulky but I don't even notice it when its on. Reguardless of what you get having one is a must. I can't say that mine has saved me yet but I know the day is coming when its going to pay for its self 10fold.

S
Feb 13, 2002
Layton
I use a Fox Airframe Motocross chest protector under Klim outerwear and love it..

08FoxairframechstgrdblkMD.gif

B
May 20, 2008
Newfoundland
I love my TekVest. I've got the SX Pro-Lite. Only noticed it the first time I rode with it, and now it just feels natural to me to wear it. I almost get that "naked" feel when riding without it, so I always wear it, doesn't matter if I'm on the sled or on the quad.

Mine has paid for itself already. I would have had an extremely sore or broken jaw last winter if I hadn't been wearing my TekVest (darn tunnel rack!).

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yeah, the KLIM IS one of the TekVest models.
These are the only vest I've honestly ever seen anyone wear.

I take that back...John Goodman (who goes by BowSlayer and the artist formerly known as JohnnyRigger) wears a kevlar bullriding vest that he borrowed from a real cowboy. :)

There is also Bee Wear vest also. I've never been around them.

I know that peeps on here talk a lot obout the SIX SIX One. I don't know anything about them.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
I have the Tek Vest and I like it, I believe Klim may have made there vest a little bit lighter then others. My wife has the Beewear vest and it seems to be a nice vest, with good construction. If you want to check either of them out, let me know. I dont think you will be able to fit into the beewear vest though, it may be a little on the small side. They feel a little bulky at first, and then you dont even notice anymore.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
The Klim tekvest is the same as a tekvest tekvest, only with the Klim colors and price tag. It's the "Freestyle" model.

Comfortable, warm, and they work. I won't ride without it, even pull it on loading/unloading.

The shoulder pads are nice for trees and roost, and they go on and off easy.

MX chest protectors would work; but for the comfort level, a tekvest is well worth the $.

I take that back...John Goodman (who goes by BowSlayer and the artist formerly known as JohnnyRigger) wears a kevlar bullriding vest that he borrowed from a real cowboy. :)
I have one of those too. Don't know that it'd work as well as a tekvest for sledding, as they don't come down in front as far as the tekvest does. They're made for rodeo, tekvests are made for sledding.

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
Thanks for the replies. I currently have a EVS protector. I have had it for 5 years & is starting to rip at the seams. I won't ride without a chest protector & shin guards, they have saved my a** more than once.

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
Thanks for the replies. I currently have a EVS protector. I have had it for 5 years & is starting to rip at the seams. I won't ride without a chest protector & shin guards, they have saved my a** more than once.

I also use the EVS moto X chest protector (I think its the evo??)
it's super comfortable, as it has a soft material inside
it has saved me a few times for sure and only cost me $45USD shipped to my door

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

I also wear knee pads, as my knees bang off the REV doors all day
wouldnt go riding w out wearing this gear

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I wear my Thor cycle road race protector under everything..mesh with armor and "turtle" spine protector... as well as kidney belt. It works good and u dont notice it.My wife wears one made by alpinstars...ladies model has room for the tata's...about 225 bucks or so

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
tekvest here too.

Most MX vests are to prevent rocks from hitting your chest, tekvest's are designed to prevent your handlebars from going thru your chest....big difference.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I have a yamaha tekvest. been wearing it for 4 years now after breaking my ribs (and other bones) when my sled tried to kill me. Broken ribs will bother you for the rest of your life but I wear the vest to keep from breaking anymore.

I also keep my beacon in the front zipper pocket. I never liked the strap system, always rubbed on my neck so this works great to keep it in.

I'm shocked at how many people dont use them. Many, Many times if I'm riding somewhere and we stop to eat with other sleddders I will be the only one wearing one.

Had many people ask me if its a life jackets!!! Eric

M

mtncat800

Nov 26, 2007
Central Iowa
I had the Bwear and found myself not wearing it after the first few times. I felt like it was just to bulky. Purchase a Tekvest last year and have worn it everyday I have ridden since. Just part of the atire now. Love it, although they now have one out with prforations in the armor, looks like it would be much cooler.

Premium Features