• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

roll over a four stroke?

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
sorry to post on an old thread, but using the search function brought me here, haha! My dad rolled my 08 phazer on its right side today, he shut it off immediately as I told him to do in the event of a roll. by the time I came back to help him it had been about a minute. we tipped it down and started it up about a minute later. it sounded like hell, then shutoff due to low oil pressure. since I had read about these 4 strokes and the rollover problem I immediately got worried and opened up the oil tank cover and airbox to look for signs of oil loss. there was a little oil in the box out of the breather and the dipstick read over full. we waited a minute and fired it up again, sounded like hell and shutoff after 20 seconds. By then I was getting really worried, as I had no spare oil with us, I was kicking myself for not having the rollover valve installed. anyway tried it agiain and again, by try 5 or 6 the clicking knocking stopped and it satyed running. I'm guessing the oil pump sucked air and took a while to reprime. it ran fine for the rest of the day no smoking or noise or anything, still reads at the low mark on the stick. I am suspect as to if any damage was done in the course of say 6 20 second runs ending in low oil pressure shutdown, no revving or high rpm use before shutdown. what do u yama 4 stroke guys think? thank you in advance.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Most likely its ok then. Yamaha 4 strokes run fairly tight clearances on the rod and main bearings, usually around .001". Normally if there is damage it will show up in the form of a bottom end knock after just a few miles.

If it does start to make any bottom end noise, you'll want to shut her down and run an oil pressure test and or cut apart the oil filter to inspect for debries. I've seen guys try and ride them out with a bottom end knock hoping to make it back to the truck. Usually what happens is it will pitch a rod through the block and trash the motor.

Yamaha 4 strokes will last a very long time, however like all 4 strokes the one thing that will kill them is oil stravation.

If its quiet now, then most likely the noise you were hearing while the oil pump lost prime, was timing chain clatter due to there not being any oil pressure on the tensioner.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
sounds great! thanks a lot for the info! I will be ordering a rollover valve from u pronto! I would have got one sooner but I just got the sled, and with the holidays and all I just didn't get to it. I knew I needed it and was hesitant to even use the sled without it. Hopefully I got lucky. Thanks again, snowest is a great resource!

M

meltdownm8

Apr 8, 2009
wyoming
I've got two of the 1100t, best to install a roll over valve from 4stroke solution.com. But if need,roll it to the left always due to the crankcase breather will oil soak your air filter if u go right. Let it set for a minutes while u catch your breath( this is usually when I smoke a cig and reflect on a 2 stroke turbo) only really takes a minute to oil back where it should be do to the dry sump. Have rolled mine to many times to count and never had any issues other than wishing I'd stuck it a few feet further to the left.

D
Sep 29, 2013
rov kit is the best way to go pretty cheap costed me about 300 installed from my dealer. 300$ is an easy way to avoid problems. if you can afford it do it. before even riding my sled I had a cold air intake rov kit and straight pipe installed. knocked off a bunch of weight and gained a bit of hp.

Premium Features