• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for M1100t owners...

Question for the M1100t owners...

• I bought the Turbo and I'm glad I did

Votes: 129 84.9%
  • I bought the Turbo and wished I bought an 800

Votes: 23 15.1%

• Total voters
V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
The last sentence says it all....comes down to driving habits. Like I've said for a year and a half, asking guys that haven't been riding 4s for years to hop on for half an hour and see what they think is not a fair shake. We've built plenty of good running 2s turbos and personally I would not go back to a 2s. Haven't had one for 5 years. And let's be honest does anyone buy any 4s and leave it completely stock? You buy knowing in some degree you will do added hp and some lightweight stuff.

You have to remember why there are so many 4s riders as there is now. Reliability. That, and speaking for guys that don't ride low elevation, like 90% of guys in the west, at 8000' there haven't been much for 2s turbos doing what big 4s have been doing for 8 years.

Having been on my 1100 with every stage of mod you can do all year (most consumer available and some not) and same goes for race and pump gas m8's we built, I wouldn't trade my 1100 for anything, let alone a 2s. Here's the scenario I give to guys....7k to turbo your M8 or 7k to be roughly the same weight as a TM8 and have 275hp at elevation. That on the hill is not close, and there are only a handfull of guys that can even have an educated opinion on that comparison.

All that being said I can't convince my partner he should be on a 4s:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con. It's not for everyone.

i have been myself on a nytro (impulse kit) for 2 years out east(from 0-4500ft) and to reach reasonable hills,we have technical stuff to go around trees,lakes,then hydro lines(what so call mountains :face-icon-small-sho here!).My brothers on dragon and pro were laughing at my *** all day long.No matter how many HP you have, from a dead stop to half throttle ride, no 4s will get even close to a 2s.After a few trip out west this year, i can now understand why some of you guys are still driving 4s....no damn trees anywhere!!!just open fields on all 4 cardinal point!! you can have some fun and not fighting the weight boondocking half day. BUT, now that 2s have got the real tuning tool(PnP standalone ECU) for forced induction(turbo,supercharger) they are now achieving a complete new level of reliability. At 210 horsepower(8.5lbs) on pump 91 octane with electronic boost compensation(like the 1100t),elevation compensation and 410 lbs , doesn't matter if you have 50 more hp, you have also an extra 100lbs to carry and it is located right in the nose of the sled therefore centralizing the weight unequaly, making it difficult to predict/handle(compared to a 2s). mid-march in cooke city, we were 6 turbo pro, none of them higher than 8lbs,all on vi-pec ECU and while slicing down some chutes, a few 1100t and turbo yammies showep up and curiously, none of them launched or aimed what we were slicing for hours, they sat there and did nothing ....i still don't understand today why? well there were a bit of trees climbing to the top ...might have been that....i guess.
like JustBoostIt said earlier, it all goes back to what type of riding and how physicaly strong you are....
a complete new level of reliability is achieved with 2s with the OEM like (and way more)tuning possibilities that a standalone PnP ECU is giving, you all have to remember a 4s at 250 hp as the same drivetrain than a 210 hp 2s and both gives the sme hp feeling(power to weight ratio) but one drivetrain endure 210 hp and the other 250 hp.....on the long run, we all know the 4s engine will go longer, but also we all know to build back a 2s cost 900$ and a 4s 6000$......let rock and roll this winter again and have fun....nothing matter more than having fun, 4s or 2s it is about having fun!!

Last edited:

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Yikes. Pretty bold comment. Clearly not a lot of experience out west. If you want meadows they are pretty hard to find in the part of the Rockies where we ride. Turbo Yammies didn't become so popular because there is a ton meadows, it's because there is stuff that was only climbable with that much hp, and not in spring snow either. There is a ton of technical riding out here, and it's not all done on 2s. Is it easier on a 2s, absolutely. Do 4s guys avoid that kind of riding? Some do for that reason...but not all. I personally love technical riding, point and shoot is only fun for so long, no different than all tree riding.

I agree in the last year there have been giant strides in 2s tuning and reliability. But most people will not turbo their 2s but almost all 1100 owners will do at least a 30-40hp bump from various means for 6-$700. There is a lot of expense in making a 2s substantially more hp. If your budget is 7-10k then the choice is a lot harder for sure.

Ever since I started riding a 4s sled I always said if you are sub 200lbs it would be a lot of work, even more so if you only want to be a tree rider.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
you are right JustBoostit, i have not a lot of experience out west, (but i am sure you have not a lot of experience out east too!). the density of the trees here is uncomparable to what it is out west, for that reason alone, 90% of the potential 4s buyer turn around and buy 2s. the xf-f series are realy popular tough and that is why shops like turbo dynamics are making realy good at reflashing the 1100t out east.
bottom line is: if most of your riding is technical stuff like boondocking, then 2s are much better. If climbing straight stuff is your deal, then 1100 turbo is a solution....and you are right on the driver weight, if you do not weight more than 200-210lbs, it's becoming serious business to hold on a 650lbs sled for a complete day.
i don't know how much you sell your 1100t but there is a 3000$ premium to get the sled out of the door(17000$ 4s compared to 14000$ 2s) plus a reflash on pump gas from you guys or who ever, another 1000$......so,at 4000$ for a 40 hp you still weight 650-680lbs. at 5000$ for a 2s you get top of the line turbo kit with a standalone plugin ECU and get a 50-60 hp bump on pump gas and very reliable also (but you need a plugin ECU, fuel controller are a obsolete and can not be OEM like tuned) and of coarse you sled is 450 lbs.
Not saying the 1100t is a bad sled, it is a realy good combo (chassis-engine) but there is not,in my mind and years of driving both of them, many departement where a 4s shines compared to a turboed 2s with a standalone ECU PnP, in fact there is none for me and for me only. People that bought the 1100t are pretty much happy and that 's what's important.Our own preference are for chatting purposes only.....Happy winter to all of you and looking forward to see you guys out west a couple of times this year since we have now a very experienced tuner (lightspeed innovation) installing and tuning our standalone ECU.We will travel quite a few time this year.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
you are right JustBoostit, i have not a lot of experience out west, (but i am sure you have not a lot of experience out east too!). the density of the trees here is uncomparable to what it is out west, for that reason alone, 90% of the potential 4s buyer turn around and buy 2s. the xf-f series are realy popular tough and that is why shops like turbo dynamics are making realy good at reflashing the 1100t out east.
bottom line is: if most of your riding is technical stuff like boondocking, then 2s are much better. If climbing straight stuff is your deal, then 1100 turbo is a solution....and you are right on the driver weight, if you do not weight more than 200-210lbs, it's becoming serious business to hold on a 650lbs sled for a complete day.
i don't know how much you sell your 1100t but there is a 3000$ premium to get the sled out of the door(17000$ 4s compared to 14000$ 2s) plus a reflash on pump gas from you guys or who ever, another 1000$......so,at 4000$ for a 40 hp you still weight 650-680lbs. at 5000$ for a 2s you get top of the line turbo kit with a standalone plugin ECU and get a 50-60 hp bump on pump gas and very reliable also (but you need a plugin ECU, fuel controller are a obsolete and can not be OEM like tuned) and of coarse you sled is 450 lbs.
Not saying the 1100t is a bad sled, it is a realy good combo (chassis-engine) but there is not,in my mind and years of driving both of them, many departement where a 4s shines compared to a turboed 2s with a standalone ECU PnP, in fact there is none for me and for me only. People that bought the 1100t are pretty much happy and that 's what's important.Our own preference are for chatting purposes only.....Happy winter to all of you and looking forward to see you guys out west a couple of times this year since we have now a very experienced tuner (lightspeed innovation) installing and tuning our standalone ECU.We will travel quite a few time this year.

Amber Holt rides an 1100T and she can't weigh more than 120lbs with gear. She does not seem to mind the weight.

Snowedunder

Premium Member
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Chris Brown

Go to whistler and ride with Chris Brown for a day ask him to go boondocking, he rides a nitro.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
That Amber Holt....she can ride alright i guess lol.

You're 100% correct, I have zero east experience, and if this was a thread started about anything related to low elevation riding I wouldnt have posted anything. I don't know that terrian and have never riden there.

We sell 90% 153" and bigger, almost no 153" on 1100's, not enough track for the weight. At least half of 300+ hp Yammie guys run 174", obviously they are not predominantly tree riders.

The difference between a SnoPro M8 and 1100 162" here was a little over 2k. I think some dealers that had trouble moving them at the start of season because of the inexperience with 4s and what to do with them created a little price war so they were sold for less than they should have been so they didn't get stuck with inventory.

We have done more light parts on Cats in general than anyone I know so I just want to speak to that a little, strictly on Cat as that is the forum section we are in. I don't want people to think there is a 200lbs difference in 4s to 2s. My retro 1100 162" weighted 671 rtr, a SnoPro M8 162" weighted 575 on the hook, 96lbs more. Battery and pipe on 1100 for almost the same price as a can on a M8 but takes another 12 lbs out, 84lbs different. Add 30-40hp and at 3k more than a 2s out here there is not a stock m8 that will come close in 85% of riding most do in the west. That will give a lot of pump gas kits all they can handle, saw it all year. This is the scenario the everyday guy that modded up a couple 2s in his life, with disappointing results and reliability, that just wants to turn a key.

I think the biggest thing in the 2s favor that makes this a discussion is if the altitude compensating curcuit the factory has on the 1100 can be used on the M8 tuning with its turbo kit. That has always been the achilles heel of any 2s is the loss of power at elevation, and the higher you go the more predominate it is. That's why this debate is different depending on what elevation you ride. If you ride 7-10k we talk about power differences and at low elevation power is not as relevant and we talk more about weight. I would love to swing a leg over a elevation compensating M8 kit. ?

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I have a 153 and felt like it was not enough track so I went to a 156 2.5. Hopefully this will be better. Have not got to ride it with the 156 yet. I want to do the evo215 reflag as well. I'm waiting for them to get a switch so I can run a 240 up or so map at home here in mn and benefit from the 215 when we got out west.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
That will be sweet. I bet with a 2.5 that will go anywhere a pc 162" goes. The CE hooks up so much better.

yeah, i am excited about it. I rode it one trip too west yellowstone with it stock other than the light battery. Then I put MDS clutching high flow can, vertical steering, and 38 in stance for the second trip and I loved it so much more. After the second trip I put new skis on(pilot DS) and the 2.5 camo. I am looking forward to the ezjacker or EVo ref lash for next year. Also will be building a 2.5 divorced down pipe and muffler. So that should be nice and hoping to do a few other things to cut weight. Likely a different hood, I think i can cut 12 lbs off the hood with a custom mesh hood without stock headlight. Also would like to do a intercooler fan. I think there is some merit to a air to water with a independant cooling but I don't know that it is worth the extra weight. Probally better off to vent the crap out of it and get the intercooler fan.

No matter what I am excited to ride the sled. I don't have to worry about the engine crapping out on me and I love that.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Early estimates are around 6 lbs more than stock for the WTA. The fan will work great for what you are doing. Custom programming vs a piggyback module is not a fair comparison IMO. There is so much more than can be done in the ecu. The Ezjacker is a 30hp gain, and that's not at elevation. All the Evo kits are dyno'd in Colorado at 6800'. If you really want a EJ they won't be hard to find. Guys asking me all the time about trading in, and I sell them. Great little product, just not mountain tuned.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Early estimates are around 6 lbs more than stock for the WTA. The fan will work great for what you are doing. Custom programming vs a piggyback module is not a fair comparison IMO. There is so much more than can be done in the ecu. The Ezjacker is a 30hp gain, and that's not at elevation. All the Evo kits are dyno'd in Colorado at 6800'. If you really want a EJ they won't be hard to find. Guys asking me all the time about trading in, and I sell them. Great little product, just not mountain tuned.

I have a ex hacker that I actually win directly from bd. so it is free. But I think a reflash would be so much better. I just need to sell it so I can get the evo reflash.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
+1 Snowedunder. I did a ride with Chris Brown trip and that guy can tree ride his Yami as good as or better than anyone I have seen ride either a 2S or 4S. He was stuffing that sled into really tight spots all day. You would see his sled disappear into the branches and then a huge roost of snow would come blasting out behind him and away he would go up through the trees. He was still pretty busted up too. Definitely not 100% back from his big crash. The other thing I was blown away by was that he had ridden that sled 100 days with very little maintenance. His spare belt looked like it had been under the hood forever...
He spoke very highly of Yamaha, MCXpress turbos, Timbersled skid and the Skinz front end and running boards.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
Yeah my buddy Brandon rides a turbo RX1 as good as anyone I've seen and my buddy Braden rides a turbo nytro just the same. They both bash trees like Chris brown or burandt or whoever. End of the day It ain't the sled, it's the rider.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have a ex hacker that I actually win directly from bd. so it is free. But I think a reflash would be so much better. I just need to sell it so I can get the evo reflash.

We took a customer up riding with his HCR 1100T with a hyjacker on it. Disconnected it and put a 215 flashed ECU in his sled to try. Needless to say the hyjacker is coming off for a EVO tune

8ooho

Nov 27, 2007
geting off an apex running 10 psi at elevation what do u think awsome sled in the powder wanting the cat might buy 1100t or wait 2015 ?

W
Oct 13, 2009
Minnesota
2013 m 1100 turbo B M 240 kit

I just thought I'd throw it out there. I know three guys personally that bought them and it sounds like 1/3 would have liked an 800. Just interested to see how everyone on here that bought them feels.

A side question once you answer might be whether ot not you put the 38" stance and vertical steering on, and what kind of riding you like to do (trees, open meadows, hill climber, etc.)

Thanks.

Joe

I absolutely love my sled the horse power!!!! We do our share of tree riding two to tree feet fresh pow sled handles fairly easy powder pros ski seem to help who knows different snow conditions I may be different. But for now I am a very happy camper. Has vertical steering and 38" ski stance as you probably already know.

Premium Features