• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new cats ? 4 stroke turbo mountain turbo?

what sled intrest you?

• under 500 lb factory 4 stroke turbo in mountain chassis 200 hp.

Votes: 128 30.8%
  • 400 lb new moujntain sled. direct injection 800 ho 175 hp

Votes: 255 61.4%
  • hold over m wait to see how new chassis holds up?

Votes: 24 5.8%
  • turbo hold over .

Votes: 8 1.9%

• Total voters

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Yes, the M1100 will take over for the M6, then the M800, then the M1100T respectively.

This troubles me as far as Arctic Cats commitment to the two stroke engine, but excites me because that M1100T is gonna be awesome, but the M800 is a ripper too.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Just thinking out loud here.....
Does Cat have access to a 2-stroke DI system (similer to e-tec) that is clean/efficient enough to meet the ever tightening emissions standards?
Cat parting ways with Suzuki I would imagine they are losing access to technology and leaving more of the research/development up to Cat "in house".
Does Cat HAVE to go 4-stroke because it is the easier/cheaper way to meet the EPA regs?? Perhaps the ONLY way they can meet the standards at this time?
It goes without saying that Cats appeal (and success) in the mountain market has been a lightweight, simple, no-frills 2-stroke sleds....a sudden swing in another direction seems unusual unless that is their only choice. It certainly isn't because the customer has been demanding a heavier, more expensive 4-stroke.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Just thinking out loud here.....
Does Cat have access to a 2-stroke DI system (similer to e-tec) that is clean/efficient enough to meet the ever tightening emissions standards?
Cat parting ways with Suzuki I would imagine they are losing access to technology and leaving more of the research/development up to Cat "in house".
Does Cat HAVE to go 4-stroke because it is the easier/cheaper way to meet the EPA regs?? Perhaps the ONLY way they can meet the standards at this time?
It goes without saying that Cats appeal (and success) in the mountain market has been a lightweight, simple, no-frills 2-stroke sleds....a sudden swing in another direction seems unusual unless that is their only choice. It certainly isn't because the customer has been demanding a heavier, more expensive 4-stroke.

Quote from B1Dodge.......Are you saying the old tigersharks were not Direct Injection? Skidoo uses that same injector technology on there Etech as cat did 15 years ago on some of there watercraft. Old 1960s FICHT injectors (updated) but same old technology Evinrude abandoned in the 70s and brought back in the late 80s, about the time the greenies started screaming. Skidoo purchased Evinrude-Johnson and wala ETECH. I wonder why no one thinks Cat has something clean in the works? The fact is the writing has been on the wall for many years and for Cat to not be preparing would be foolish.

Yes Cat has had DI R&D, Knowledge and experience. Folks that seem to think Cat is out of the loop just are too young or haven't done their homework. Don't think for a minute that Cat is coming out in 2012 with all "nails extended & extremely sharp"! ;) Yes, I too hear it will be an extreme move that many of us who bleed green (and others) may not have expected but, it will be a perfomer guaranteed! I see, ONCE AGAIN, some PIONEERING industry moves being made by ARCTIC CAT! :cheer2:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Quote from B1Dodge.......Are you saying the old tigersharks were not Direct Injection? Skidoo uses that same injector technology on there Etech as cat did 15 years ago on some of there watercraft. Old 1960s FICHT injectors (updated) but same old technology Evinrude abandoned in the 70s and brought back in the late 80s, about the time the greenies started screaming. Skidoo purchased Evinrude-Johnson and wala ETECH. I wonder why no one thinks Cat has something clean in the works? The fact is the writing has been on the wall for many years and for Cat to not be preparing would be foolish.

Yes Cat has had DI R&D, Knowledge and experience. Folks that seem to think Cat is out of the loop just are too young or haven't done their homework. Don't think for a minute that Cat is coming out in 2012 with all "nails extended & extremely sharp"! ;) Yes, I too hear it will be an extreme move that many of us who bleed green (and others) may not have expected but, it will be a perfomer guaranteed! I see, ONCE AGAIN, some PIONEERING industry moves being made by ARCTIC CAT! :cheer2:

That was the Ficht/OMC system.....which I believe the rights are now owned by BRP. It has MUCH more refined and efficient in its latest form. I doubt they can use anything similar due to patents.??
Perhaps why they have stayed with the throttle body injection ??
Whatever they do with 2-strokes will have to be an all new engine in 2 more years when Suzuki is out of the picture. I would love to hear what they have planned!!

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
i got to think since cat is parting ways with suzuki and their making a bold move with a four stroke mountain machine,that the future of arctic cat is headed fourstroke. but who knows. has arctic cat ever made their own two stroke motor?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
i got to think since cat is parting ways with suzuki and their making a bold move with a four stroke mountain machine,that the future of arctic cat is headed fourstroke. but who knows. has arctic cat ever made their own two stroke motor?

No, not in production that I'm aware of.....they have used Suzuki since the late 1970's, Kawasaki, Kohler, Wankel, Hirth...and a few others before that. I'm showing my age!! :face-icon-small-dis LOL

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
well lets see here the Motorcyle and ATV industry have already done it I remember in I believe it was 2006 the Yammy Banshee was cut as the last 2 stroke hyperwheeler and guys were saying they will never buy another wheeler again then the next summer what did they have a new 450 yamaha,honda ETC. now they have 525s hmmm is there a pattern!:D

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
i think that cat will keep around some sort of 2 stroke for sure. lets just say that they keep just the 800 around in 2 stroke form, and that the 500 goes back to a race only type of sled so it doesn't count against them as far as the epa is concerned. Obvi there is still the 570 powered sleds but considering the niche that buys those I don't think it would be too far fetched to think that it would be a 4 stroke pretty soon too.

So I guess my question is does anyone have an understanding of the epa credits system and if they could keep around one "dirty" 2 stroke if the rest of the line up is "clean" 4 strokes in the future?

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Little info. . . I was just reading on the 1100 4 stroke engine

1100 Non turbo 123 hp 78ft/lb torque
1100 Turbo 177 hp 121ft/lbs torque at 9lbs of boost
These are decent numbers.

Bikeman claims that on the current z1 a aftermarket muff cuts 17lbs and gains 15 hp. Add the higher flow intercooler and charge tube and the sled is up to 202 hp without changing the stock ecu.

This is what excites me. Sounds like this motor can handle changes to up the performance without need for fuel control. So if I buy one I can put a can on this year and maybe do a intercooler the next year.

Last edited:
S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Little info. . . I was just reading on the 1100 4 stroke engine

1100 Non turbo 123 hp 78ft/lb torque
1100 Turbo 177 hp 121ft/lbs torque at 12lbs boost

These are decent numbers.

decent numbers but if the sleds a tank its not saying much, the 1100 non turbo has to be as light or lighter than the 1200 doo.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
decent numbers but if the sleds a tank its not saying much, the 1100 non turbo has to be as light or lighter than the 1200 doo.

I sure hope that if they are bothering to have a new sled they won't have it be a tank. There is no reason the chassis can't be as light as the pro rmk. and Add the extra weight of the 4 stroke.

I think it will be sweet if they offer a performance 4 stroke and 2 stroke motor in the same chassis! A little something for everyone. I got flamed over on another post cause I said if it handled like the pro. Well i know that the extra weight up front may make a diff in the 4 stroke model, But i would guess it would still lay over like the pro that would be awesome. If the Hp is there it will still feel light.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I sure hope that if they are bothering to have a new sled they won't have it be a tank. There is no reason the chassis can't be as light as the pro rmk. and Add the extra weight of the 4 stroke.

I think it will be sweet if they offer a performance 4 stroke and 2 stroke motor in the same chassis! A little something for everyone. I got flamed over on another post cause I said if it handled like the pro. Well i know that the extra weight up front may make a diff in the 4 stroke model, But i would guess it would still lay over like the pro that would be awesome. If the Hp is there it will still feel light.

I think they will have the 1100, 1100T 600ho DI and 800ho DI in the future......they just didnt want to pull a polaris and have a bunch of grenades for motors because they were not tested long enough. The 1100, 800 and 1100t were to just meet 2012 epa.

S

Spud

Mar 5, 2003
Lewistown,MT-USA
wth?????

what I would like to know is WHY this thread is being TOPPED continuously while the last reply is noon yesterday---wth???:face-icon-small-con

again, the 1200 Doo weighed 549 dry on paper...:face-icon-small-sho

Premium Features