• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track porting?

D
Jul 21, 2009
Northern WI
I was wondering if anyone ports their tracks and has pictures of how they look? I recently bought my sled, and it has what the previous owner called a "punched out track". It's a 151" stock Vertical Edge track, but has three round holes punched,between the rails even with the track windows. It seems to have been well done, the track looks in great shape and the holes don't appear to have affected the wear on the track at all.

Is this a common thing to do on long tracks, and if so, why, just for weight savings, or is there a different reason? I guess it would save a little weight, but it doesn't seem like it'd be much.

Heres a link to a pic of my track, let me know if you think it'll hold up and if this is normal, the PO said it was done by the first owner, the guy before him, and the sleds got 2700 miles, so at least 800-1000 that the PO put on the track with it "punched out".

http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv315/DaFuzz1980/?action=view&current=VETrack.jpg

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
All the Edge sled tracks I've seen ported looked just like that. It shaves about 3 pounds off a 151 track which is supposed to translate into quicker acceleration due to less track mass, plus the porting less more snow circulate through the skid letting it run cooler when the snow gets thin.

D
Jul 21, 2009
Northern WI
The porting was done before I got the sled, but it looks like it was done with something way sharper than any hole saw I've ever used. Its pretty clean looking holes for having considerable miles on the track since it was ported. I don't know what was used, maybe somebody that's done it before will comment on that.

B
Dec 3, 2008
Never done it, but my guess is it would be more like a big "punch" rather than a hole saw. The thing I would worry about with a hole saw is not a "Perfectly clean" cut. Might weaken the track of theres a rough cut for it to stretch or tear at.

J
Mar 14, 2008
i've done this before useing a holesaw actually did it on 3 tracks. I had a 159 finger track under my mod polaris 800 with twins. I used 1 1/2 inch holes 3 across every set just like picture. Ran 2 years with it like that never once any troubles with anything didn't notice any stretching so i would recomend it.

K

koschak

Jan 16, 2008
Northern Minnesota
do a search there have been a couple long threads on this. i believe most people use a hole saw bit but dullen it first a little then more or less burn their way through the track to get a nice clean cut.

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
I did this on my 05 900 w/166, 3 holes down the center. I ran into problems with the track stretching excessively. I didn't notice much of an advantage and thought it was a waste of time. I had a buddy with the exact same set up 900 without the ported track, it just felt like he was able to hook up on the snow a little better so I ended up buying a new track. I used a Hole saw bit, it doesn't need to be new so it can basically burn through the track. I also made a template for the hole saw to drill through.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I'm going to do mine too (eventually). One of my friends made up a template, used white marking ink to mark the spots. He took about 4 hours to do a third of the track with a hand drill and got so frustrated he actually went out a bought a drill press, pulled the track and finished the job on the drill press.

Good news is I have access to a drill press when I do my track.

M
I did this on my 05 900 w/166, 3 holes down the center. I ran into problems with the track stretching excessively. I didn't notice much of an advantage and thought it was a waste of time. I had a buddy with the exact same set up 900 without the ported track, it just felt like he was able to hook up on the snow a little better so I ended up buying a new track. I used a Hole saw bit, it doesn't need to be new so it can basically burn through the track. I also made a template for the hole saw to drill through.

would stretching be caused from too much track tension?

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I did my 155 came extreme. Put 4 one inch holes accross each row. Used a bit that would kind of burn thru...figured that was better so it would not come apart. Used a hand drill on the floor before I put the track in. Took just over an hour.

Premium Features